Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:02 AM

10 posts, read 19,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Then it takes four of them to reach the threshold. Four break-ins is nearly unheard of unless there is a reason to have that many. It does seem like, in theory, that every rental property in Charlotte could be subject to this program if there were to be a crime wave of sorts. I know its a stretch, but houses in the nice areas of town get broken into. But I doubt they will even get a call about those.

Yes, it takes four. Its not clear to me why it seems impossible to have four break-ins. Also, what are the reasons? My current tenant will be moving out at the end of the month due to having 2 break-ins in apx. 2 years. Its possible that a new tenant will have an issue as well. If the new tenant is targeted then the property will have another property crime counted against the property. The crime counts are cumulative against a particular property. It doesn't matter if its a different tenant or even if the property is sold and a different owner owns the property.

I'm not sure what will happen when the tenant moves out and the vultures move-in to start stripping the property of copper. When that gets reported the property goes to .75.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 08:14 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
And I do so love the 10 items that are required. The police seriously need a floor plan for tactical reasons? You're telling me you have intentions of kicking in my front door? There better be a really good reason for that.

Why should I provide you a copy of the lease? I've already given you $330. Now you want a copy of a lease, too? Those cost money to have written, examined, updated, printed, etc.

Operable lighting, huh? Most leases state that light bulbs are the responsibility of the tenant. If i start changing light bulbs, the next thing you know I'll be expected to pay the rent too.

Oh yeah, let's post a sign inside saying we don't tolerate crime. Apparently we do tolerate crime. If we didn't, we would not be in this mess. And you know as well as I do that as soon as the door shuts behind me, the sign is gone. I'll just save the gas money and not drive over there.

And the letter to tenants. "Dear tenant, we have a zero-tolerance policy for crime on our rental properties. But, if you do commit a crime, we will have to be informed of it, which could take months, if we ever find out about it. Next we have to file for eviction. This can take up to 3 months in some cases. Then, when you refuse to move out, we have to file a writ of possession which takes another 2 weeks. Let this serve as notice that as soon as we find out you did something we will evict you. The nice policeman who took a check from me told me I have to. Sincerely, "Management"

They're making it really hard to want to work with the police. I used to talk to the local officers quite often, but now I am wondering what happens if I do. I know it isn't the street cops doing this, its the "superior" officers who are completely detached from the reality of what causes neighborhoods to go downhill. Get the DA to keep these animals in the cages they belong in and this kind of garbage program will not be necessary. In the meantime, focus more on making the criminals pay, not the people who only try to provide housing. And stay out of my pocket.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:24 AM

110 posts, read 316,385 times
Someone, not me, drew the house floor plan from memory on a piece of napkin, snapped a photo with their fancy phone, and sent that along with $330
The lease was just a PDF attachment. Not sure if it was the actual lease. Who cares, no one is going to read it.
Pay the fine, increase the rent, deduct the fee on taxes.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:35 AM

If no one is going to read it, then why even waste the time to send it?

Old 06-18-2011, 03:12 AM

467 posts, read 1,496,861 times
Has anyone determined if they can enforce the $330? Will it become a lien on the property? Has anyone run this past the attorney general, or other high powers?

Old 06-26-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademarked View Post
Has anyone determined if they can enforce the $330? Will it become a lien on the property? Has anyone run this past the attorney general, or other high powers?
Not sure what happens. As far as I know no one has contested it in court yet.

But check out section 6-595 (f)

"Failure to comply with the provisions of this section shall subject the
offender to a civil penalty of fifty dollars ($50.00) a day for the first 30 days, one
hundred dollars ($100.00) a day for the next thirty days, and five hundred dollars
($500.00) a day for each subsequent day"

Old 06-26-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:

they're making it really hard to want to work with the police. I used to talk to the local officers quite often, but now i am wondering what happens if i do. I know it isn't the street cops doing this, its the "superior" officers who are completely detached from the reality of what causes neighborhoods to go downhill. Get the da to keep these animals in the cages they belong in and this kind of garbage program will not be necessary. In the meantime, focus more on making the criminals pay, not the people who only try to provide housing. And stay out of my pocket.

amen!

Old 06-26-2011, 07:44 PM

211 posts, read 501,549 times
Quote:
Okay. Then YOU should go buy your own house rather than rent from someone who chose property as a profession. Random break-ins are not enough to get a house into the program anyway. And if we write this fee off as a part of business, who do you think is going to wind up paying it? Umm, the tenant. The costs always get passed on. So, this helps increase rental prices in certain areas of town and makes affordale housing that much harder to come by. And the fee is much higher for those larger multi-family buildings and complexes. Much higher.

And while CMPD did not write this ordinance, I have been told that they pushed very hard for it and originally wanted the program to include 10%+ of rental properties. Hello, revenue generator. If I recall correctly, the check is to be made payable to CMPD.
we are in no position to buy a home as my husband is in the military and he can be deployed at drop of the hat. Besides why would I want to buy right now when homes are losing value. I can easily move and the landlord would have to spend his time looking for a new tenant who is "worthy" of renting. My landlord are older people who don't have the time to look for new people and they want people to stay. Now as a slum lord, different money trumps caring for tenants, turn over rates so high that revenue is often choppy. So I assume some of you only care about money not your good standing tenants, the ones that stay for 2-5 years. You want to make sure that the home you have is being taken care of.

It was not our fault that we got broken into, we had 2!!!! motion lights and neighbors were home as well we were the 6th house in neighborhood that got broken into, however we even have more security by adding better stuff and learned from this. the problem is this, the city is letting go the recurring folks out of the system instead of really watching them.

Slumlords should be weeded out as they are not helping the situation!

Old 06-27-2011, 08:42 AM

Define slumlord, please.

Too many people want to interchange low-income housing and slums. Best I can tell, there are no slums in Charlotte and the city code enforcement people would be all over them if there were.

Landlords are not the problem here. Its the tenants and most likely their guests. Even thorough background checks don't always work if the person brings in a fake ID and another person's info. I caught one person doing it a few months ago. Only reason I caught it was because I went outside and this person was on the phone and left a voice mail using his real name, not the name he gave me on the application. A lot of these professional tenants are getting quite good at their craft. Too good.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:04 PM

467 posts, read 1,496,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce1999 View Post
Not sure what happens. As far as I know no one has contested it in court yet.

But check out section 6-595 (f)

"Failure to comply with the provisions of this section shall subject the
offender to a civil penalty of fifty dollars ($50.00) a day for the first 30 days, one
hundred dollars ($100.00) a day for the next thirty days, and five hundred dollars
($500.00) a day for each subsequent day"
They will probably place a lien on your property as they do with grass cutting and code violations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte