Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 07:14 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Well, I think the kids prefer the 60s/70s Christmas but on average, Charlotte temps are mid to high 50s in late December.

Unless there is snow on the ground, I think most kids prefer a 50+ temp Christmas experience...thinking back, I know I did. I recall a big snow or two during the 1970s/80s in southeastern NC during the holiday season; it was cute the first day, but not the second day going forward. It's pretty chilly around here during Christmas, temps in the 70s are far from normal.
Ave highs are about 54 at Christmas, so 70's is an anomaly for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 AM

407 posts, read 851,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Exactly another reason I cant wait for a Northeast Christmas again..what kind of Christmas is celebrated in the mid 70's??......blech.
I remember going to church Christmas Eve with 4 kids, snow on the ground, and temp hovering a few degrees above 0. No fond memories of that Christmas.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacmd70 View Post
I remember going to church Christmas Eve with 4 kids, snow on the ground, and temp hovering a few degrees above 0. No fond memories of that Christmas.
0 is not fun for anyone. But that is so rare. But its stll more Christmas feeling than 70's.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:53 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Our highest temp was 90...a major difference.

Ahhh the northern christmas.... snow falling , fireplace going....THAT is what Christmas is about. Not mid 70's. Christmas season in the south was a major disappointment.
My backyard thermometer only registered a high of 85 yesterday.

The most enjoyable Christmas that I have had was in Key West where the only thing to remind me of the time of year were some Christmas lights on a palm tree. Snow on Christmas vacation really sucks after the few minutes of romanticizing about it.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post

The most enjoyable Christmas that I have had was in Key West where the only thing to remind me of the time of year were some Christmas lights on a palm tree. Snow on Christmas vacation really sucks after the few minutes of romanticizing about it.
Christmas in Key west ...haha,..... .. obviously you don't like cold...i get it

Old 07-03-2012, 09:28 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:

Man, that so scrooge! I gotta give it to jp on this one, a nice chill in the air (not freezing w/heavy ice and snow) fire place, holiday music, egg nog or favorite cocktail - that's Christmas. That aside, there isn't a bad time of the year to be in Key West...duval street..ooh, the memories.

To your earlier point, it's been hot but I can recall several late July/August days of yester year with the soaring humidity, 95+ temps with air so thick you'd need a machete to cut it. So far, it's seemed more Arizonish heat (very hot and dangerous) but not those rare ole southern "good-God-almighty" 100+ heat/humidity days.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Man, that so scrooge! I gotta give it to jp on this one, a nice chill in the air (not freezing w/heavy ice and snow) fire place, holiday music, egg nog or favorite cocktail - that's Christmas. That aside, there isn't a bad time of the year to be in Key West...duval street..ooh, the memories.

To your earlier point, it's been hot but I can recall several late July/August days of yester year with the soaring humidity, 95+ temps with air so thick you'd need a machete to cut it. So far, it's seemed more Arizonish heat (very hot and dangerous) but not those rare ole southern "good-God-almighty" 100+ heat/humidity days.
So I have four days of golf planned in two weeks Big A....looking forward to it. Haven't played much as golf eats the budget (especially up here) so i figure I'll get em all in in a row and ride some momentum. Plus i need a week off of work desperately Goal is to break 85 one of the days.

Exactly right on this heat, even up here..its very desert-ish. Humidity low or moderate...dry , hot.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:49 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:

To your earlier point, it's been hot but I can recall several late July/August days of yester year with the soaring humidity, 95+ temps with air so thick you'd need a machete to cut it.
I agree with you I've seen some hot ones myself. Prior to the great Northern Diaspora to the South, in the days before home AC was common, I also remember towns and cities having farmer's lunch in the summer where basically everything shuts down at noon and then resumes later in the day. It's a shame that tradition is lost now. If one looks closely at homes built in Charlotte from the earlier part of the 20th century, you will find design features for the hot weather. Things like sleeping porches, whole house fans, high ceilings were common.

As a native Southerner, the heat is not an issue for me. My elementary school didn't have AC, but we also didn't start school until after Labor Day. We kids didn't think anything about it. Heat & humidity this time of year results in excellent tomatoes and peppers if you grow them in your kitchen garden. Nothing in the stores can compare.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I agree with you I've seen some hot ones myself. Prior to the great Northern Diaspora to the South, in the days before home AC was common, I also remember towns and cities having farmer's lunch in the summer where basically everything shuts down at noon and then resumes later in the day. It's a shame that tradition is lost now. If one looks closely at homes built in Charlotte from the earlier part of the 20th century, you will find design features for the hot weather. Things like sleeping porches, whole house fans, high ceilings were common.

As a native Southerner, the heat is not an issue for me. My elementary school didn't have AC, but we also didn't start school until after Labor Day. We kids didn't think anything about it. Heat & humidity this time of year results in excellent tomatoes and peppers if you grow them in your kitchen garden. Nothing in the stores can compare.
I see its only 96 down there in the piedmont desert...cool day...

82 here..another glorious summer day.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:30 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
well, jp, I spent yesterday in downtown Chicago. The temp was 95 but the dewpoint was 79!!! Needless to say, I didn't move around much....WOW. Forgot what humidity like that was like. Looking forward to going back to Charlotte where the temps might be high, but, the humidity usually isn't that bad.

...and, I LIKE hot weather!! (just not excessive humidity)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte