Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 01:36 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Why? Did you listen to anyone when they said it was hot in the South? You did afterall move here then spend the next 5 years complaining about the place. Why would you be considered an objective source? I learned a long time ago that it's usually foolish to take advice from someone who wasn't willing to listen to it themselves.

In regards to bugs, the worst mosquitoes in North America are in Alaska during the summer. This is because they have such a short time to reproduce. In the warm parts of the world, this issue doesn't exist.
I won't go over why I was there...you are overthinking this. I am now officially going to keep this thread alive just to annoy you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 01:38 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I won't go over why I was there...you are overthinking this. I am now officially going to keep this thread alive just to annoy you.
If it annoys me then I will stop posting in it. Nothing is forcing me to be here. But I think that you wish to annoy people speaks volumes as to why you are really posting here.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
If it annoys me then I will stop posting in it. Nothing is forcing me to be here. But I think that you wish to annoy people speaks volumes as to why you are really posting here.
I told you ..I post here to warn northeners who hate the heat to consider it. I didn't hate charlotte...just the summers. Charlotte is a good place to live and if you have a job in place and don't mind the heat and a little more crime then i give my blessing to move. If you are a guy who ******* about the heat then you will die a slow death down there.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:13 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
No one has answered her second question re: costs of AC vs. heat in NE. This is an interesting question.
We go through 3 1/2 cords of wood each winter on average. Which costs between $400 and $600/year.

What it costs to cool a home in the South I do not know.

On the East Coast, we have lived in Virginia, Florida, SC, and Connecticut before we finally made our move to Maine. We found that we did not like the heat. So it was a good move for us.

Also we did not realize that property taxes could be this low anywhere. But when average household incomes run $25k - $35k I guess it makes sense that the cost-of-living would be low.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I told you ..I post here to warn northeners who hate the heat to consider it. I didn't hate charlotte...just the summers. Charlotte is a good place to live and if you have a job in place and don't mind the heat and a little more crime then i give my blessing to move. If you are a guy who ******* about the heat then you will die a slow death down there.
You guys are headed for another few 100 degree days...whats the water temp in Lake Norman now 102? Very hot summer again so far...but good news...August shows signs of a cool down all along the east coast. In fact the expectation is for much below normal temps........see if it pans out.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
...whats the water temp in Lake Norman now 102?
Heavens no. Your perception of the heat in this areas does not reflect reality.

The surface temperature Lake Norman varies across the lake. It's dependent up depth of the area and how much water is flowing at that area. It will be warmer at the shore. The main channel, which is the flow of the Catawba river is the deepest with the most water flowing tends to be cooler.

At the Stumpy Creek landing where this thermometer is located, it's currently 89 degrees. This is ~ 10 degrees below body temperature so perfect for swimming. You can view where this is located on the lake. As you can see, if you zoom out, it's a relatively shallow cove and isn't on the main channel. Deeper parts of the lake are darker. This cove is about 30 feet deep and it's a nice place for swimming and water skiing.

Lake Norman Public Boat Ramps - Google Maps

On the main channel it's cooler because there has been a lot of rain in the mountains, more today, so a lot of water is flowing through the system. Water coming down from the mountains is pretty chilly when it starts out. Eventually all this water ends up in the Charleston Harbor.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Heavens no. Your perception of the heat in this areas does not reflect reality.

The surface temperature Lake Norman varies across the lake. It's dependent up depth of the area and how much water is flowing at that area. The main channel, which is the flow of the Catawba river is the deepest with the most water flowing. At the Stumpy Creek landing, a cove it's currently 89 degrees. This is ~ 10 degrees below body temperature so perfect for swimming.

You can view where this is located on the lake. As you can see, if you zoom out, it's a relatively shallow cove and isn't on the main channel. Deeper parts of the lake are darker. This cove is about 30 feet deep and it's a nice place for swimming and water skiing.

Lake Norman Public Boat Ramps - Google Maps

On the main channel it's cooler because there has been a lot of rain in the mountains, more today, so a lot of water is flowing through the system. Eventually all this water ends up in the Charleston Harbor.
Well its about time! I figured you'd have jumped on this hours ago..! Of course I didnt mean 102! but I bet low 90's in the shallow parts of the lake are quite the norm now. BATHWATER...... 89 is bathwater too..how can that be enjoyable to swim in? Just swam in the communities nice 82 degree pool..almost a little warm but acceptable.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
. 89 is bathwater too..how can that be enjoyable to swim in? Just swam in the communities nice 82 degree pool..almost a little warm but acceptable.
It's 10 degrees less than body temperature. The body will perceive this as cool without being shocking. It's very enjoyable. I take it that you never took the opportunity to enjoy the lakes during the summer months here. I suppose this is why you have these notions. If you had actually read my post, you would have learned this was at the shore. It will be even cooler as you move out into the lake.
I figured you'd have jumped on this hours ago..!
i don't stay in the house all day to complain about the weather to far off people.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
hilarious...
The ground rule is I can't have two posts in a row.. you guys are only at 89? Must have cloud cover.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
The ground rule is I can't have two posts in a row.. you guys are only at 89? Must have cloud cover.
My backyard thermometer says 84 and there is sun here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte