Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,668 times

Advertisements

We currently live downtown Chicago and are contemplating a move to Charlotte for both weather and SPACE! Can anyone help us find a good place to live? We have a 1 year old and our family is growing. We need good schools and a 4-5 bedroom house. Since we are used to a faster-paced city lifestyle, we would really like an area with a lot to do as well as other young families.

Please help if you can! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 06:18 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwb0505 View Post
We currently live downtown Chicago and are contemplating a move to Charlotte for both weather and SPACE! Can anyone help us find a good place to live? We have a 1 year old and our family is growing. We need good schools and a 4-5 bedroom house. Since we are used to a faster-paced city lifestyle, we would really like an area with a lot to do as well as other young families.

Do your jobs come with you? Or will you need to seek employment?

Old 04-01-2011, 06:18 AM

24 posts, read 41,834 times
Lesson #1 - the South doesn't move fast, except when driving. Once you get used to it, and adjust your own pace (some people can do this quickly, some people just never seem to get the hang of it), most things here won't annoy you as much.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:10 AM

5 posts, read 9,078 times
We are doing the same thing...but coming from West Michigan. I've looked and researced extensively and we decided on the Huntersville/Concord area. I would tell you the same thing
our realtor told us...buy neighborhood/location first...then house. Look at the infrastructure of the area. Don't buy into a neighborhood that's less than 70% developed unless you LOVE it and plan to stay for a number of years. My advice: Getting insight from people who live there already is great...it's helped me a ton. Visit the areas...talk to everyone, visit grocery stores, ask other Moms, watch traffic flow at peak times of the day. Be Realistic about what you really are looking for...don't be swayed by a beautiful home! there's probably a reason why it's empty...Good luck!

Old 04-01-2011, 02:28 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,022,305 times
Jobs in hand?

You'll want to determine location based on commute to work. The city is spread out with only a few ways to get across town which means tons of traffic and congestion.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:48 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,044,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2edna View Post
Lesson #1 - the South doesn't move fast, except when driving. Once you get used to it, and adjust your own pace (some people can do this quickly, some people just never seem to get the hang of it), most things here won't annoy you as much.
Second this! Nothing is fast here, and things are rarely on time. So, you need to leave the Chicago impatience there. It's difficult, but, you can learn to just go with the flow...I have...well, to a degree!

Old 04-03-2011, 06:38 AM

174 posts, read 477,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Jobs in hand?

You'll want to determine location based on commute to work. The city is spread out with only a few ways to get across town which means tons of traffic and congestion.
Why does everyone put such an emphasis on living close to where your work is? Don't forget, a ton of people move to Charlotte from major cities where sitting and rotting in traffic is a daily ritual. I drove 30 miles 1 way to work and took 45 minutes to get to work in the morning and 1 hour 15 minutes to get home. If I just loved Concord and my job was in Steele Creek....I would have lived in Concord....who cares about traffic if you love your neighborhood and your home?

Doesn't the average personin the U.S. commute 1 hour per day anyway?

Old 04-03-2011, 06:57 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,168,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwb0505 View Post

So you want Chicago in Charlotte with the "better" weather...heh.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:07 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,044,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytarheel View Post
Why does everyone put such an emphasis on living close to where your work is? Don't forget, a ton of people move to Charlotte from major cities where sitting and rotting in traffic is a daily ritual. I drove 30 miles 1 way to work and took 45 minutes to get to work in the morning and 1 hour 15 minutes to get home. If I just loved Concord and my job was in Steele Creek....I would have lived in Concord....who cares about traffic if you love your neighborhood and your home?

Well, if they live near to downtown Chicago, their commute time is pretty low. (assuming, of course, that they work downtown) So, they may not even have a car...many people in the city don't. Hence, a commute time would be vitally important in this respect. So, it is truly dependent upon what the person is willing to do...and, (possibly more importantly) what they are used to.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:31 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytarheel View Post

Yes, because gas is almost free and getting cheaper!

Commute is still the single biggest consideration for where to live to most poeple... You may decide you can put up with more of it and spend more time in the car, however it's not simply a matter of "time". The further you go, the more it costs you to go back and forth. This comes out of your monthly nut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte