Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 10:06 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,763,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Thank you, you and I both know you are right.
Can I ask you a simple question? You've attended HOA meetings, right? Does your HOA use Roberts Rules?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromuk View Post
Closing attorneys are normally given a copy of the CC&R at the closing. There shoud be a signing off as you say.

Fortunately, management companies are now required to be licensed and agents properly trained. About time. This only started in the last month or so.
Can you provide me with a source regarding certification? I thought they had kept that bill from passing.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:34 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,138,312 times
Beware that when you buy into an area with rules that you like and see the point in having that sometimes the builder can pull out and HUD take control of the homes unfinished or sold and then the rules you thought would be there to protect your investment vanish.I saw this happen. Within a year the neighborhood became cluttered with junker cars and broken down boats on the front lawns......Sure glade at that point I didn't buy into the place.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:20 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Beware that when you buy into an area with rules that you like and see the point in having that sometimes the builder can pull out and HUD take control of the homes unfinished or sold and then the rules you thought would be there to protect your investment vanish.I saw this happen. Within a year the neighborhood became cluttered with junker cars and broken down boats on the front lawns......Sure glade at that point I didn't buy into the place.
That is a possibility and has happened in some lower end developments (but not the norm.)

Old 04-24-2011, 06:13 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Can I ask you a simple question? You've attended HOA meetings, right? Does your HOA use Roberts Rules?
Yes actually, it does

Old 04-24-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Yes actually, it does
YAY! I want to live there

Old 04-25-2011, 08:39 AM

972 posts, read 2,443,801 times
We all know not all HOAs are the same. For example, my HOA cannot regulate on street parking. It comes up at every meeting. It is the number one complaint, but not regulated by the HOA here. It sounds like other HOAs do regulate that, but I wonder if the streets are city owned yet. Another difference is that the city takes care of every other street light in this neighborhood. Our developer wanted more than the city pays for, so the HOA takes care of the remaining ones.

As far as the OPs question about dealing with an HOA, if you keep your lawn neat and relatively weed free, you should be just fine. Read over what exterior changes need to be preapproved and get copies of the forms to submit change requests.

Common sense usually is your best guide to stear clear of any problems.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:50 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
I find it hilarious that the anti-HOA crowd would like to see "HOAs banned"... like that's not a complete contradiction to the majority of the arguments they use against HOA.

"I want to tell everyone they can't form an association because I don't like to be told what to do on my property."... um okies - I'm far from one of the biggest HOA fans out there, but that's just plain silly.

Do your homework before buying into a particular HOA (they are not all created equal) and, most importantly, if you're so against HOAs - don't buy in one! Looking to ban something you don't like is redonkulous.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:20 PM

748 posts, read 1,771,352 times
I overheard at work last week.
"An HOA is where you pay someone to tell you how to live in your own home."

I know it's an oversimplification, but it made me chuckle.

I look at it as payment for a nice well-kept pool and very nice landscaping. As far as enforcing rules, they either pick and choose who has to follow them, or they do enforce them and people choose to ignore them or just pay the fines. No way to really know by just looking at the surface. We put our garbage can in the garage when they sent us a letter, but many, many of our neighbors haven't.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:22 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,452,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
I overheard at work last week.
"An HOA is where you pay someone to tell you how to live in your own home."

I know it's an oversimplification, but it made me chuckle.

I look at it as payment for a nice well-kept pool and very nice landscaping. As far as enforcing rules, they either pick and choose who has to follow them, or they do enforce them and people choose to ignore them or just pay the fines. No way to really know by just looking at the surface. We put our garbage can in the garage when they sent us a letter, but many, many of our neighbors haven't.
Bet you wouldn't find it so funny to be threatened with foreclosure over such a thing....and the threats don't stop with "garbage cans".

There is rarely any obligation for the HOA corporation to maintain its own property. "Rules" tend to be created for the purpose of generating "fines", collection fees, and lawsuits for the benefit of the HOA vendors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte