Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 02:26 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

This is not the first I'd heard of students being victimized by low life criminals.

The area west of uptown is just a bit dicey for my tastes

However, during the day I think it's a lot safer and would recommend the cafeteria at J & W to anyone looking for some great lunch options!

Two Johnson and Wales University students robbed at gunpoint | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/04/20/2236922/two-johnson-and-wales-university.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 02:35 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
This is not the first I'd heard of students being victimized by low life criminals.

The area west of uptown is just a bit dicey for my tastes

However, during the day I think it's a lot safer and would recommend the cafeteria at J & W to anyone looking for some great lunch options!

Two Johnson and Wales University students robbed at gunpoint | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/04/20/2236922/two-johnson-and-wales-university.html - broken link)
I work down here and there are a lot of punks down here during the day. Not too much of a problem because there are plenty of people and security guards around but at night it gets dicey.

Is that cafeteria still open? I went over there one time and thought the sign said for students only but maybe I read it wrong.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:13 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Was going to take some cooking classes in the fall........

Old 04-21-2011, 04:32 PM

443 posts, read 1,257,449 times
I wonder why there is not (or not reported) incidents at Johnson C. Smith. That campus is in a terrible area. Maybe students don't venture far away from the gates of the school? The campus itself is pretty open though.

As for J and W...yes at night I would imagine it is note a safe haven. Regarding the cafeteria, it is GREAT, but I haven't been there in a couple of years. I have no idea whether or not it is still open to the public.

Taben

Old 04-21-2011, 04:50 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taben View Post
I wonder why there is not (or not reported) incidents at Johnson C. Smith. That campus is in a terrible area. Maybe students don't venture far away from the gates of the school? The campus itself is pretty open though.....
Pull a gun in that part of town and there is a good chance someone will pull out their rod shoot back. i.e. The criminals don't rob anyone over there because they don't want to get shot.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:03 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
Crime happens. People should be realistic about it and prepare for the inevitable instance when it'll happen to them. NC has concealed carried laws and if toting a gun isn't your style, then Mace makes a non-lethal pepper gun with a 25 ft range. I carry one everywhere since my employer won't allow me to carry a gun and I work outside, often in rough neighborhoods. I used it once on a loose pit bull who rushed me and it worked great. Google it. It's worth the small price.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:11 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Pull a gun in that part of town and there is a good chance someone will pull out their rod shoot back. i.e. The criminals don't rob anyone over there because they don't want to get shot.

Too bad this guy didn't know he was supposed to take his gun with him to take out his garbage

Suspect charged with murdering man during robbery in uptown Char - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-

Cedar Oaks Condo's - wasn't somebody asking about the safety of those on this forum not too long ago?

Old 04-22-2011, 10:14 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Witnessed the police chasing a guy in 4th Ward the other day. The person who was being chased somehow managed to climb onto the second floor balcony of an apartment in an attempt to hide. Glad he was caught.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:03 PM

443 posts, read 1,257,449 times
Default JC Smith Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Pull a gun in that part of town (JC Smith)and there is a good chance someone will pull out their rod shoot back. i.e. The criminals don't rob anyone over there because they don't want to get shot.
Good point. Still, I don't think most of the students are armed thugs. Maybe, given the part of town it is in, JC Smith has lots of guards...lots. I remembe going to a track meet over there and feeling not so safe driving up to it, but didn't feel at all unsafe once on the campus.

Taben

Old 04-22-2011, 05:22 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
Yeah I wasn't referring to the students. They are trying to make something of themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte