Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 04:06 AM

4 posts, read 8,409 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Charlotte with my family this summer and I'd like some information on traffic patterns for the areas we're considering.

I will be working on David Taylor Drive, exit 46 off of I85. We're considering 3 areas, and have been unable to find information on traffic during typical commute times to the office. 1) Union County - Weddington, Waxhaw 2) Mooresville 3) Denver.

Any information you can provide is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 05:54 AM

285 posts, read 800,692 times
from wAxhaw/weddington , there is not a lot of traffic, you are going opposite of traffic but the commute is probably about 45 minutes. DH works there, but only goes in a couple of times a month.

I'm not sure about the other areas, tbh

Old 06-09-2011, 08:51 AM

Thanks for the reply! 45 minutes is definately workable. Anyone have information on the Mooresville or Denver?

Old 06-09-2011, 09:23 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,976 times
Have you looked into Davidson? That would put you closer to the where you will be working.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:30 PM

624 posts, read 2,109,261 times
From Denver, I'd say you'd be in the 45 minutes to 60 minutes during normal commuting times (one way)...but I'm hesitant to say that just cause I don't travel that path during normal times. The only time I drive Denver to Mallard Creek Road is usually around 9 am for a Dentist appt and it takes me about that amount of time.

Once...(if?) the NE Extension of 485 is completed you'd be able to go South on 16 and take 485 N/E and avoid 77 all together. But that's a couple of years out and would still take 45-60 minutes.

School wise, Denver/Lincoln County gets good reviews - How old are your kids?

Old 06-09-2011, 04:57 PM

Thanks everyone!

We've been focusing our search North & South to be in closer proximity to the lakes, and for the school ratings. We have 5 year old twins who will be starting kindergarten in the fall. Based on what we've read, the areas mentioned above have strong school systems with the community features we're looking for.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:18 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,431,626 times
From Mooresville the most direct route would be south on I77, then take WT Harris. I wouldn't like to have to travel Harris every day.
Alternative would be Route 3 ,Odell School and on to 85- but have no idea what I85 would be like at commute times.The 3 and Odell school aren't that busy as long as you avoid Odell Scool crossroads when the school is starting and finishing.
You can always weave your way through the back roads , but may take longer.Would like to say it's dooable in 45 mins, but really depends on what time you travel and where you're looking in Mooresville.Assume as you mention lakes then it would be west of I77.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:45 AM

2 posts, read 7,942 times
Anything in South Charlotte will add a lot longer drive time due to the heavy traffic ranging from 45 mins to 1 hour 30 mins depending on the day. I do and have always chosen to find living as close as I can to work to save time on traffic. But again I really dislike sitting and working my morning and evening around traffic. Waste of time is my 2 cents.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:18 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingsouth12 View Post
I will be relocating to Charlotte with my family this summer and I'd like some information on traffic patterns for the areas we're considering.

I will be working on David Taylor Drive, exit 46 off of I85. We're considering 3 areas, and have been unable to find information on traffic during typical commute times to the office. 1) Union County - Weddington, Waxhaw 2) Mooresville 3) Denver.

Any information you can provide is appreciated!
Well, since you asked for opinions I'll give you mine...

WHY in the world would you choose to live in Waxhaw, Weddington or Denver with that particular work address?

Do you just love long commutes?

Are you looking to prop up the gas companies by having to buy A LOT of gasoline, and that's why you're willing to volunteer to drive such long distances?

I mean, really, I would love to understand your reasoning

The ONLY option on your list that makes even a tiny amount of sense is Mooresville, but even that isn't a great option at all.

But if you are deadset it HAS to be one of the places on your list do stick with Mooresville. Just know you'd be so much better off in Concord, Harrisburg or Mint Hill.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 06-10-2011 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-10-2011, 11:44 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,004 times
I would highly recommend you come down here for a week or so and drive those routes in morning traffic. Mapquest or Google will not give you any help. The lakes are easily accessed from anywhere in town so that shouldn't be an issue. Loves is right about Concord, Harrisburg, or Mint Hill. Even Huntersville or Cornelius would be better bets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte