Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 06:15 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I'm not sure if many of you were around to experience the shopping, social scene and nightlife of Atlanta in 1971, but I suspect it would be comparable to Charlotte of today; so let's give our fair city a little more time to evolve.
How silly and for the record, I remember Atlanta city of 1971 and it's been in some sort of decline ever since. Those ATL population numbers are dependent upon a vast automobile dependent sprawl that extends over 10,000 sq miles with an overwhelming majority of those people living outside the perimeter who would not dream of going into the city. ATL IS the example of how not to build an urban landscape and it certainly doesn't live up to its bluster. ATL city population should be an embarrassment in how little it has changed since 1971.

Just for comparison purposes, the ATL metro sprawls over 10,000 sq miles. This would be the 5M+ numbers you posted for the ATL metro. Tokyo and all it's suburbs, known as the Kanto Region, has 43,000,000 people living in just over 3,400 sq miles. This is the difference between a real urban area, and ATL cheerleading. Interesting and considering that Tokyo was burned to the ground after WWII, both areas grew in the post WWII era.

Charlotte and I suspect most other cities have no desire to repeat ATL's mistakes.

Last edited by yantosh22; 07-05-2011 at 07:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 07:24 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
How silly and for the record, I remember Atlanta city of 1971 and it's been in some sort of decline ever since. Those ATL population numbers are dependent upon a vast automobile dependent sprawl that extends over 10,000 sq miles with an overwhelming majority of those people living outside the perimeter who would not dream of going into the city. ATL IS the example of how not to build an urban landscape and it certainly doesn't live up to its bluster. ATL city population should be an embarrassment in how little it has changed since 1971.

Just for comparison purposes, the ATL metro sprawls over 10,000 sq miles. This would be the 5M+ numbers you posted for the ATL metro. For comparison purposes Tokyo and all it's suburbs, known as the Kanto Region, has 43,000,000 people living in just over 3,400 sq miles. This is the difference between a real urban area, and ATL cheerleading. Interesting and considering that Tokyo was burned to the ground after WWII, both areas grew in the post WWII era.

Charlotte and I suspect most other cities have no desire to repeat ATL's mistakes.
Again, LOL, so you're old (or seasoned) enough to remember Atlanta of 1971. I am comparing growth patterns of two SOUTHERN cities (metros) of similar geographics.

For the record, I am comparing metros not city (boundary) population. Unless you've been living under a rock, Atl's metro (urbanity, transit, social scene, nightlife, cultural, etc) has advanced considerably since 1971. Of course the growth occured during an auto-centric era, so urban growth will not parallel that of rust belt or northeastern cities.

Like all cities, Atlanta has growth (or infrastructure) issues, but it is a great city. Anyway, I was referencing (metro or MSA) population size to that of social offerings and other amenities directly impacted by market size.

A lot of posters reference Charlotte and Atlanta as if they're on equal playing fields. Given the huge delta in population size, why would constantly complain about social offerings? To an extent, Charlotte has out-marketed it's size, basically, there is a tendency of those not familiar with the two areas to think they're interchangeable. Charlotte has the business savvy of Atlanta, but is well behind in sheer population mass and social scene.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Again, LOL, so you're old (or seasoned) enough to remember Atlanta of 1971. I am comparing growth patterns of two SOUTHERN cities (metros) of similar geographics.....
No you weren't. You were trying to make a point that somehow that ATL was better than CLT based on some completely irrelevant population statistics that are only valid for government accounting purposes. Otherwise there was no point of listing out CSA numbers then proudly boasting that CLT was like ATL of 1971. ATL 2011 isn't as nice as ATL 1971. This is throwing stones while living in a glass house.

Nobody wants to see Charlotte surrounded by 10,000 sq miles of sprawl.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
No you weren't. You were trying to make a point that somehow that ATL was better than CLT based on some completely irrelevant population statistics that are only valid for government accounting purposes. Otherwise there was no point of listing out CSA numbers then proudly boasting that CLT was like ATL of 1971. ATL 2011 isn't as nice as ATL 1971. This is throwing stones while living in a glass house.

Nobody wants to see Charlotte surrounded by 10,000 sq miles of sprawl.
Whether Atlanta is better than Charlotte is a matter of opinion and preference. Those were MSA numerical comparisons that show relative market size.

Since this thread is about nightlife, if one is a SINGLE (or outogoing) lad (or lady) looking for a multitude of options regarding the social scene, larger cities (metros) have more venues to choose from; whether the venue is Buckhead, Midtown, Downtown or outside the perimeter of Atlanta. After all, it is one of the inticements or perks of living in a larger metropolitan area, regardess of urbanity. I'd venture to say Charleston posesses quite the urban infrastructure (downtown), but doesn't match Charlotte in terms of career opportunities, diverse social offerings, etc.; primarily as a result of a smaller market size.

Again, if you feel Atlanta was a better city 40 years ago, good for you, but I think the expansion of museums, tourist attractions, parks, nightlife, multi-culturism, and many other areas has positioned the city to compete on the international scale. If not for Charlotte's (and other NC metros) progressive attitude to compete in terms of growth and expansion, the interest to relocate here would be signficantly less.

Statistics are always relevant, whether it's retail, concerts, or anything that requires estimates regarding customers or patrons....like a nightlife scene.

Lastly, I truly enjoy living here, but it's as sprawly as any other sun belt city..probably need to open a window in that glass house, evidently the tint is too dark to see reality.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Whether Atlanta is better than Charlotte is a matter of opinion and preference. ....
Indeed. I note there are not many people in NC looking to move to Georgia of all places. They would see it as a step backwards.

This map says it all.

Does this have anything to do with going out and having a good time at night? No, not a damn thing just like the population statistics. Having a good time is dependent upon who you are with and what you do, not the plot of land you are standing on.

Last edited by yantosh22; 07-05-2011 at 11:39 AM..

Old 07-05-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Indeed. I note there are not many people in NC looking to move to Georgia of all places. They would see it as a step backwards.

This map says it all.

Does this have anything to do with going out and having a good time at night? No, not a damn thing just like the population statistics. Having a good time is dependent upon who you are with and what you do, not the plot of land you are standing on.
Population statistics (and demographics) has everything to do with anything involving city amenities, more specifically, a nightlife scene. Cities are built to cater to a multitude of cultures and interest; you stated what you think constitutes a good time, but that's your world, and tons of people would have a differerent opinion. Young adults want to mingle and meet other young adults, not play bridge and schuffle board.

Your "good time" and my "good time" don't reside in the same hemisphere, the larger and more diverse a place becomes, it tends to organically produce more options that would allow both of us to have a "good time".

But as one gets older or a little longer in the tooth (or shorter tooth count), the night life requirement drops exponentially (or at least it should)...still, the OP's interest in getting objective assessments regarding the level of nightlife available to a young adult in Charlotte is reasonable. However, it shouldn't be or should never be a core decision making tool for a career move. But, if they have flexibility in job location, why not be somewhere that addresses a pro in their consideration.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Cities are built to cater to a multitude of cultures and interests. Your "good time" and my "good time" don't reside in the same hemisphere, the larger and more diverse a place becomes, it tends to organically produce more options that would allow both of us to have a "good time". ...
Well.... The city of Charlote has a bigger population than the City of Atlanta. By far and it has been growing faster for quite some time. You specifically said cities. nuff said.

This is your own definition and words so I think that settles it.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:25 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,235 times
Why all of the Charlotte bashers LOL?? I'm originally from SC and i've been to Charlotte multiple times and I liked it. As for the OP I live in Brooklyn now, and its expensive you can't really get anything decent for under 1200. The night life is great but I dont wanna live in Brooklyn forever, Charlotte might be my next destination.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Well.... The city of Charlote has a bigger population than the City of Atlanta. By far and it has been growing faster for quite some time. You specifically said cities. nuff said.

I specifically referenced MSA or metro throughout this short correspondence, city proper population size isn't always the best indicator to gauge the true size of a market. I was under the impression that you could interpret between the two even when I mentioned the term city; obviously I overestimated your urban planning background (some terms/jargon are common knowledge amongst urbanites). In that case, Charlotte is larger than Washington, DC? And no, metro Charlotte isn't growing as fast as metro ATL.

No matter how ridiculous it's sounds, your obsession to be "right" is juvenile, hilarous and approaching psychotic. Go ahead nitpick a word or phrase to justify a nonsensical position. Atlanta is 3x the size of Charlotte...deal with it.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:28 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:

People typically use the word "city" as a placeholder for "metro area," both here on C-D and in real life. I seriously doubt Big Aristotle was using the term to refer to arbitrary municipal boundaries (one could say arbitrarily large in Charlotte's case) within this context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte