Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:39 AM

238 posts, read 567,854 times

Advertisements

I loathe people who litter. I don't understand why they do it. Our local community park is beautiful. it's in a great area and its well taken care of. During the past few months more "outsiders" have been coming and they just throw their trash all over. There are trash bins everywhere!

I've seen parents watch their kids throw wrappers on the floor and say nothing.

Recently my husband and I watched a 13ish year old ripping a paper and throwing it on the floor. I called her out on it and her parents and they said, "so what?".

Why are some people intent on ruining something that is beautiful? It's almost as if they get a thrill out of destroying things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 12:16 PM

595 posts, read 1,622,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
I watched a 13ish year old ripping a paper and throwing it on the floor. I called her out on it and her parents and they said, "so what?"
You should have picked it up and thrown it away. Then tell the kid how they could go to jail for littering and how their parents don't love them for letting them do it, etc, etc...

We should make all kids be part of Adopt-a-Highway so will see how much trash people toss out on the road. Maybe then they will grow up and not litter as much.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:16 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
You missed the most common litter, which is smokers tossing their butts on the ground. I don't understand why smokers think this is acceptable behavior.

Years ago when I was bulletproof and much more scrappy than I am now I was a passenger in a car at a stoplight. The driver in a car two lanes over dumped his ashtray onto the road. There must have been 50 butts on the ground. I yelled at him to pick his trash up and he flipped me the bird. I grabbed a manila folder out of the files I had with me, got out, and went to his car. He rolled up his windows thinking I was coming for him. Instead I scooped up the butts and ash with the manila folder and dumped it into his open sunroof, being sure to cover as much of him and the car's interior as possible. I told him "I think you dropped something" as I walked away.

Justice.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 07-18-2011 at 12:46 PM..

Old 07-18-2011, 12:20 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,865,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
You missed the most common litter, which is smokers tossing their butts on the ground. I don't understand why smokers think this is acceptable behavior.

Years ago when I was bulletproof and much more scrappy than I am now I was a passenger in a car at a stoplight. The driver in a car two lanes over dumped his ashtray onto the road. There must have been 50 butts on the ground. I yelled at him to pick his trash up and he flipped me the bird. I grabbed a manila folder out of the files I had with me, got out, and went to his car. He rolled up his windows thinking I was coming for him. Instead I scooped up the butts and ash with the manila folder and dumped it into his open sunroof, being sure to cover as much of him and the car's interior as possible. I told him "I think your dropped something" as I walked away.

Justice.
DAMN!! You have just earned yourself a spot on my top 10 "Coolest people/ biggest badasses" list!! That is AWESOME!!

Old 07-18-2011, 12:37 PM

958 posts, read 1,724,534 times
Quote:

Years ago when I was bulletproof and much more scrappy than I am now I was a passenger in a car at a stoplight. The driver in a car two lanes over dumped his ashtray onto the road. There must have been 50 butts on the ground. I yelled at him to pick his trash up and he flipped me the bird. I grabbed a manila folder out of the files I had with me, got out, and went to his car. He rolled up his windows thinking I was coming for him. Instead I scooped up the butts and ash with the manila folder and dumped it into his open sunroof, being sure to cover as much of him and the car's interior as possible. I told him "I think your dropped something" as I walked away.

Justice.

I HATE ppl who do that! If I was rich I would buy you dinner!

Old 07-18-2011, 12:40 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
When I was a young lad, I littered. There were two reasons: one was because it was easier, the other was because we didn't want all the empty beer bottles in the car. I feel bad about it now.

I think most people litter for the first reason. Obviously, a selfish reason.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:45 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
DAMN!! You have just earned yourself a spot on my top 10 "Coolest people/ biggest badasses" list!! That is AWESOME!!
Today I have the same attitude, but would have stayed in the car. Back then I gave little thought to my actions. I've managed to survive, basically unscathed, despite a few skirmishes caused by acting before thinking. I know better now.

Then again, maybe a reenactment of the event would be interesting...(insert evil smiley here)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCRugbyNo1 View Post
I HATE ppl who do that! If I was rich I would buy you dinner!
It doesn't have to be an expensive dinner.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:46 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:

Years ago when I was bulletproof and much more scrappy than I am now I was a passenger in a car at a stoplight. The driver in a car two lanes over dumped his ashtray onto the road. There must have been 50 butts on the ground. I yelled at him to pick his trash up and he flipped me the bird. I grabbed a manila folder out of the files I had with me, got out, and went to his car. He rolled up his windows thinking I was coming for him. Instead I scooped up the butts and ash with the manila folder and dumped it into his open sunroof, being sure to cover as much of him and the car's interior as possible. I told him "I think you dropped something" as I walked away.

Justice.
That should be a scene in a movie, lol!!!

Old 07-18-2011, 12:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
People litter b/c they are lazy. It is just easier to trash up the world than keep the interior of their car clean responsibly - by gathering up their junk and throwing it in a trash can.

I have heard that people have been ticketed in NC for throwing the cellophane wrapper off a sucker (I think it was a lollipop or sucker - something like that). Anyone remember that story? So, LE does take it seriously if they catch someone in the act.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:50 PM

238 posts, read 567,854 times
vmaxnc , that was great!

bs13690, there are three trash bins all around the playground. In one instance the person was standing right next to one, and still threw the garbage on the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte