Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 01:32 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Heh..reminds of an All in the Family episode.

Archie and George Jefferson are trying to keep a Hispanic family out of the neighborhood. So as they are figuring out how to do it, George says..hey, I am just looking out for number 1...then Mike (Archies son in law) goes hey Arch, I though you were number One ? ....! haha..ahh what you could get away with on TV back then..
When I was a kid I never understood why my grandparents and parents loved that show. I always thought Archie was so rude... but as a got older it started to click.

I have a brother in law who is white and he is a plumber. He says blacks and whites are hurting for work because hispanics are low balling bids...

Now in about 15 to 20 years there will be a new minority who lowballs the hispanics and guess what? Blacks, Whites and Hispanics will be standing together talking about the new guys and how they are "stealing" all the jobs and aren't trying to integrate into our culture. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touge07 View Post
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the Hispanic race IS already integrated. American isn't a race. Unless you Native American, you are descent from immigrants as well, example: Irish, German, Italian..etc. So you are very confused when you say "American culture". The "American culture" is made of immigrants, that came back in the day and multiplied here.

Here's proof:
Minorities expected to be majority in 2050 - CNN

There will be more Hispanics than "Whites" by 2050, isn't that enough?

No, i do not get offended. Why would i? I'm hispanic
..but i actually never watch any of those channels. I prefer CNN.
now isn't that ironic... you aren't offended that hispanics are catering to hispanics but you are offended blacks are catering to blacks when it comes to HBCU's? Tell us how you really feel. LOL.

Not sure what the population numbers mean in this debate... white america isn't happy about this and you hear it in the presidential debates. Hispanics aren't held in the highest regard by Americans... and by Americans I mean blacks and whites who see themselves as Americans.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:18 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
now isn't that ironic... you aren't offended that hispanics are catering to hispanics but you are offended blacks are catering to blacks when it comes to HBCU's? Tell us how you really feel. LOL.

Not sure what the population numbers mean in this debate... white america isn't happy about this and you hear it in the presidential debates. Hispanics aren't held in the highest regard by Americans... and by Americans I mean blacks and whites who see themselves as Americans.
I have to disagree with you on that one. Most of the people I hear railing on Hispanics are almost always referring to illegal immigrants. Of course, "illegals" could be from anywhere.

For the most part, I don't think people care that much otherwise.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:18 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the Hispanic race IS already integrated. American isn't a race. Unless you Native American, you are descent from immigrants as well, example: Irish, German, Italian..etc. So you are very confused when you say "American culture". The "American culture" is made of immigrants, that came back in the day and multiplied here.

Here's proof:
Minorities expected to be majority in 2050 - CNN

There will be more Hispanics than "Whites" by 2050, isn't that enough?

No, i do not get offended. Why would i? I'm hispanic..but i actually never watch any of those channels. I prefer CNN.
Speaking the language is ESSENTIAL to integration. That is my biggest pet peeve. All immigrants who came before LEARNED ENGLISH.......!

Old 10-04-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I have to disagree with you on that one. Most of the people I hear railing on Hispanics are almost always referring to illegal immigrants. Of course, "illegals" could be from anywhere.

What people say and what people think are two different things.. Having a "population explosion" of ANY race is not good for anybody...sorry. At least not in the current state of affairs in this country. Who is gonna pay for all these people ??? Its nutty///

Old 10-04-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post

I disagree. You don't see busloads of Asian's and German's when they show raids in factories. Hispanics are the face of illegal immigration.

An exploding population is a definite a concern.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:28 PM

179 posts, read 399,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Speaking the language is ESSENTIAL to integration. That is my biggest pet peeve. All immigrants who came before LEARNED ENGLISH.......!
Really? You think all the Germans, Italians, Greeks, etc that came in Boat loads knew English before they arrived? Their kids, grand kids, and great grand kids are the ones that learned, not themselves. But i DO agree that anybody that comes to this country needs to learn the language, it should be a requirement before becoming a resident or a citizen.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Really? You think all the Germans, Italians, Greeks, etc that came in Boat loads knew English before they arrived? Their kids, grand kids, and great grand kids are the ones that learned, not themselves. But i DO agree that anybody that comes to this country needs to learn the language, it should be a requirement before becoming a resident or a citizen.
What did I say??? They learned it when they got here or they were unable to communicate..unlike todays world where we are watching immigrants bring there own language and try to instill it here which completely goes against what we always did....... We are in agreement it looks like..no need to slap the noggin.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:41 PM

179 posts, read 399,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post

So there can't be other Americans than blacks and whites? What about my son, who is half Hispanic and was born here, is America not going to like him?

It's ok, the Native Americans weren't happy when White people took over, and now your not happy that Hispanics are having families here, and their kids have the same rights as you do. You keep mentioning Americans can only be white and black, mod cut But like it or not, change is happening.. so you can evolve with it or just stay behind.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-04-2011 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: flaming

Old 10-04-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
So there can't be other Americans than blacks and whites? What about my son, who is half Hispanic and was born here, is America not going to like him?

It's ok, the Native Americans weren't happy when White people took over, and now your not happy that Hispanics are having families here, and their kids have the same rights as you do. You keep mentioning Americans can only be white and black, looks like the person more racist than the Black Card guy is you. But like it or not, change is happening.. so you can evolve with it or just stay behind.

Americans can be all people. Many Hispanics contribute very positively to this wonderful country. However, having 8 and 9 family households on a limited income and busting out the population is a one way ticket to becoming a third world country...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte