Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 01:25 PM

468 posts, read 827,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
That's a great idea to get you in the spirit!

But only if you can do it neatly.

I have no talent for that.

My packages would look like satchel charges by the time I finish wrapping them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 01:54 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Default Maybe a little music would help...:)

charlie Brown Christmas Dance - YouTube

Old 12-16-2011, 03:15 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times
So many things contribute to a lack of Christmas spirit, IMO. It's been so warm this year that I haven't even pulled out sweaters or cozy Christmas slippers, etc. They start advertising and playing music way too early (which I ignore, for this very reason!) so by the time the season is here, you're sick of it, and as another poster pointed out, Facebook and other social media mean that Christmas cards are becoming a thing of the past. We've only received two so far this year.

We put up our tree the week after Thanksgiving, but we didn't decorate it until last week. Between my husband traveling every week for work and all of my "freelance" jobs, we still haven't completed the decorating. The house is in a weird sort of half-fall half-Christmas stage. Hubby and I are both off until January 3, so I hope to get everything in order asap. We have family coming for Christmas and New Years, so that's forcing the spirit on us!

Old 12-16-2011, 03:44 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
I've also noticed the 'holiday' season becoming worthless. I think it has to do with my age , among other things , namely the accompanying stupidity which seems to increase by a factor of 20 with each passing day. I don't have time/patience for it like I used to when I was younger.
I know what you mean, Etacarinae. I don't want it to feel like I am just going thru/ the motions b/c it is expected! I want it to be meaningful. Right now, working on my gratitude attitude and trying to get focused on why we have this celebration! I feel I am a spiritual person but the holiday no longer feels spiritual to me . . . it is all about retail sales, lol!!!

I think at this stage of my life, it would mean so much to have small get togethers with friends - just an afternoon tea - a time to catch up, just enjoy one another's presence. Take some photos, laugh a bit. The days have just flown by - seems there is so much to accomplish b/f the end of the year. I would be enjoying this more if it were at a slower pace.

I have my own business, so I feel pressured to end up projects, too . . . hard to relax w/ that on my shoulders. But we can't do everything - so I hope to spend a little more time with friends b/n now and Jan 1 . . . just kicking back and appreciating those things money can't buy - memories with friends and family.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
Ani - hope you have fun this weekend with your friends. We're doing the same thing here -- baking cookies, watching movies with several of my daughter's friends. I am sure their silliness and enthusiasm will make an impact!
That sounds wonderful! I do think having some young folks around makes it more fun - and stress goes out the window. I am looking forward to that this weekend! Hope you all have a wonderful time, too - and I am sure you will! Post pictures of your cookies! Mine will be just plain sugar cookies - nothing fancy . . . can't find my cookie cutters (how is that possible? I have had them forever) . . . but it will be fun, they will doubtless taste good! - and sprinkles make even the plainest little round cookie look festive!

Old 12-16-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
For me, it's become important to know and understand what Christmas means to me. Where does Christmas live in my heart? (it's there somewhere!) Most of those thoughts are internal - thoughts of winter, going within, hope being born in the darkness, etc. But I also enjoy the external stuff, because I've made a conscious choice to participate. If it was no longer meaningful for me or my kids, I wouldn't do it! But I love buying or making gifts that I know the recipient will enjoy (especially my guys!). I love seeing the twinkling lights, so symbolic. I do the things I love and have consciously chosen, I don't do things just because it's expected.

Some friends of mine take a cruise every year for Christmas. They felt pressured to be and do and go - so they "dropped out" and made Christmas their own.

I sometimes feel a little down, because I can't get everything for the boys I would like to - but, I support their wants and needs and loves all through the year! Unlike my childhood, where we got things on Christmas and birthdays ONLY, I work hard to help the guys meet their passions year-round. We don't have to have a BIG Christmas, when every day together is, literally, a gift.

When everything is a choice (and it is!), there's no pressure coming from anywhere. I don't have to be or feel a certain way; I am where I am today, in this moment. (and this moment's pretty darned good!)
CharlotteGal - wish I could send you a hug (((CharlotteGal))). Beautiful post and you hit on so much of what I have been thinking. And you reminded me just how much I love the twinkling white lights, my candles in the windows . . . my son started calling them "Jesus Lights" when he was about 3. So tomorrow I will get my "Jesus Lights" up . . . and think about the "reason for the season."

I play the piano. Maybe getting out some favorite carols, playing them, starting a roaring fire . . . some egg nog . . . Yes, I think that would help get me in the right frame of mind!

You have it figured out - do it b/c it means something to you and your family. I know you will have a wonderful Christmas - and your kids are gonna learn by your example - you are making them priceless memories!

Thank you so much for sharing. Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Old 12-16-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
ani - Packing up my little ones to send over... be there in a few. 1 night and you should be cured! Then again, maybe you should rethink it considering the 4 days you'll need to recover and clean-up.

Seriously, know what you mean as the wife and I were discussing that it doesn't "feel like Christmas", yet. The weather certainly isn't helping things... news in general is pretty depressing... cutbacks all around... etc.

We all need to be elfed or something.
Awww, Mikey . . . Between the dog, the xbox, a copy of "A Christmas Story" and making cookies, I think I could keep your kiddoes entertained w/o too much confusion! C'mon over! Adult beverages for mom and dad!

Yes, the economic news, the reality of cutbacks for all of us . . . and concern for our soldiers . . . it all weighs on us.

Did you know that the song, "I'll Be Home for Christmas" was written during WWII - and was the most requested song for soldiers serving overseas? It is one of my favorites . . . but it is a sad song . . . we can't always "be home for Christmas" cause that figurative Christmas is sometimes only in our memories (or imagination!)

Here's Bing singing the original version . . . the line that gets me most:

"I'll be home for Christmas . . . if only in my dreams."

I'll Be Home For Christmas by Bing Crosby - YouTube

Old 12-16-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
Its strange. We drastically cut back this year in what we are spending. I didn't send out any Christmas cards and haven't received any - Facebook makes that an unnessesary expense.

So, with all that trimmed back, what is left are the family memory moments: Christmas performances (chruch, school band, etc.), looking at lights, and celebrating the real reason for Christmas. Logically, should I be in MORE of the season spirit?

I think I try to get my teenagers to make salt dough ornaments for old times sake this weekend.
There ya go! Love the salt ornaments idea! Haven't done that in years . . .

It has gotten soooo expensive to send out Christmas cards! I love the greetings on FB and animated cards thru/ email. Maybe Christmas cards are becoming obsolete . . . ???

Old 12-16-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Thank you, Loves! A great idea! No better way to get the spirit than share some love! Sending you big hugs!

Old 12-16-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
So many things contribute to a lack of Christmas spirit, IMO. It's been so warm this year that I haven't even pulled out sweaters or cozy Christmas slippers, etc. They start advertising and playing music way too early (which I ignore, for this very reason!) so by the time the season is here, you're sick of it, and as another poster pointed out, Facebook and other social media mean that Christmas cards are becoming a thing of the past. We've only received two so far this year.

We put up our tree the week after Thanksgiving, but we didn't decorate it until last week. Between my husband traveling every week for work and all of my "freelance" jobs, we still haven't completed the decorating. The house is in a weird sort of half-fall half-Christmas stage. Hubby and I are both off until January 3, so I hope to get everything in order asap. We have family coming for Christmas and New Years, so that's forcing the spirit on us!
YES! I have refused to listen to the radio cause I don't want to hear the music quite yet! Maybe this weekend . . . but some of these stations were playing seasonal music BEFORE Thanksgiving! UUggghhh.

Family plans will move you along w/ the festivities! I hope you have a blessed, meaningful Christmas . . . don't forget the photos! 20 years from now, you will be so glad you took those pictures!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte