Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 12:05 PM

319 posts, read 1,250,952 times

Advertisements

About to make the leap ourselves. Daycare is ridiculous in NJ. We lived in NYC got priced out, and now we want to live somewhere with a slower pace. My husband is going to lose his job this year anyway. Scared of doing the distance job search but... we've relocated before. Now should be more interesting with a 16 month old in tow!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 12:09 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,711,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
About to make the leap ourselves. Daycare is ridiculous in NJ. We lived in NYC got priced out, and now we want to live somewhere with a slower pace. My husband is going to lose his job this year anyway. Scared of doing the distance job search but... we've relocated before. Now should be more interesting with a 16 month old in tow!!

amy---there is another thread running right now about going to CLT without a job. You might want to post this there as well "Changing my mind..."

Old 01-12-2012, 12:12 PM

funny, last time i was on these forums was our relo to chicago 5 yrs ago. we tried to escape this area then. then tons of stuff happened, lost jobs, car accident, bad times. and we are not midwest people. we are still wanting to leave and see this as a time to try. and we love charlotte. guess we won't be lone yankee/giants fans since there are so many transplants.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:12 PM

Default "slower pace"

anybody: what is the definition of "slower pace"? I'm serious. I don't know what that means exactly.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:18 PM

the opposite of what the pace is in manhattan, where i've worked for all of my working years, i assume. breakneck, cut throat, exhausting.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
guess we won't be lone yankee/giants fans since there are so many transplants.
I guess. Well, is that a good thing or a bad thing? lol

Old 01-12-2012, 12:24 PM

34,098 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
anybody: what is the definition of "slower pace"? I'm serious.
I don't know what that means exactly.
The specifics will vary by person... but the first and universal step in getting there?
That starts with working ONLY 40 hours a week at a job with a 10 minute drive
so you HAVE TIME in your life for the other things that you actually value.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:24 PM

neither good nor bad. just not for me anymore! i loved it for the yrs i did it. but i'm just getting tired of it.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,106 times
I was born and raised in Manhattan and lived there most of my life. After marriage and children I moved to Northern NJ for 6 years before coming to Charlotte. I enjoy visiting family in NYC but after 5 days or so I can't wait to get back home. It's so much prettier here, the people are nicer, more than enough to do, great weather, you can live better on your money, less daily stress, the list goes on and on.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:31 PM

763 posts, read 822,768 times
It all boils down to the fact that "a real New Yorker" will "up and leave" Charlotte because he/she did not research the area and had unrealistic expectations. It simply was not like home and they wanted it to be. Hopefully, it will make these individuals the wiser person. Americans are the hardest people in the world to satisfy. I have lived all over the world and listened to them complain no matter where they go or how wonderful the city is where they live or visit. They just love to complain. That is why most people in other countries consider Americans a pain in the ass. Oh yea, sort of like many that come here. To be perfectly honest, most people that I ever meet from NYC love it here and I don't really hear them complain. But, I only meet smart people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte