Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 12:25 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,043 times

Advertisements

It will be interesting to see if the border changes with the new survey ... for years SC claimed Andrew Jackson was born here ... but NC argued noped Andrew was born here! Half of the Buster Boyd Bridge belongs to SC and other half to NC ... long ago there was a home on Hwy 51 Pineville/Rock Hill Rd and Nations Ford Rd ... half of the house was in SC and other half in NC ... SC was known for 'quickie marriages' the man that lived there was a Notary which in SC can perform marriages ... but he had to take you to the SC side of his house!

The N.C.-S.C. Boundary Commission is more than halfway through a 15-year process to re-establish the border. The section west of Charlotte is nearly complete, and surveyors are working their way back to Charlotte from the coast.

The 401 mile border was drawn in the 1800s by surveyors with sextants and crude compasses. The zigzagging line with sharp right angles at Carowinds and U.S. 521, and the serpentine curves at Lake Wylie, appear to be helter-skelter.

Historians say the Etch-A-Sketch pattern is deliberate and a result of an 85-year journey involving Indian treaties, English lords’ folly and surveyors on horseback following the stars. Despite the rumors, the 18th-century surveyors who drew the original border just south of Charlotte were not drunk.

Historians are combing through courthouse records in Union, Mecklenburg, York and Lancaster counties, trying to find plats and deeds to property along the line as it runs from Lake Wylie to Pineville, near Ballantyne, Marvin, Waxhaw and Van Wyck. The irregular line is why the Flint Hill community in South Carolina is 20 miles north of Waxhaw Creek Road in North Carolina.

“We are particularly interested in hearing from any property owner along the border just south of Charlotte,” said Jean Branton, a historical property researcher from Charleston. Branton said they’re looking for property records along the border from 1763 to the present.

The sketchily defined border has led to a sibling-like rivalry between the two states for more than two centuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 03:57 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,262,733 times
A brief history of the boundary and a map is here:

Steele Creek Residents Association

Shortly before Andrew Jackson's birth in 1767, his widowed mother decided to move from her home in current Union County, NC to her sister Mrs. Crawford's home (on the current Andrew Jackson State Park in SC). On the way she spent the night at the home of another sister, Mrs. McKemey (currently in NC). The questions is, was Jackson born the night when his mother was staying at Mrs. McKemey's home or the next day when she arrived at Mrs. Crawford's home? There was no boundary at the time of his birth. This didn't come until 1772. A monument on the McKemey site is located here: Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

Last edited by NCDave; 12-23-2008 at 03:58 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-23-2008, 04:57 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,344,307 times
I say move the line ten miles north. That way Charlotte will be a South Carolina city. SC's infrastructure bank WILL NOT allow their state's largest city to have a six lane freeway through town. I-77 in SC is eight lanes from Carowinds to mile marker 77 in Rock Hill. SC would widen I-77 in Charlotte to 10 or 12 lanes without hesitation. SC would also finish I-485 by 2010!!! NC is content with holding Charlotte back. We need a capital city that is 90 miles away and not jealous of us. Our current capital city is 150 miles away and does not care about keeping Charlotte moving forward.

When you think about it, Charlotte being in South Carolina would be the best for all parties involved. Charlotte is already considered NC's stepchild. We are not an I-40 corridor city. We all go to SC beaches more than NC beaches. We are closer to SC's major cities and port cities than NC's. Charlotte, South Carolina would encourage SC to build a 70 MPH direct freeway to Myrtle Beach from Charlotte. Such a freeway would take 1 1/2 hours off of the current trip to Myrtle Beach. THAT WOULD BE A TWO HOUR TRIP TO MYRTLE!!! Columbia is already used to not being SC's largest metro, so civic envy between Columbia and Charlotte will be NOTHING like the whole Charlotte/Raleigh mess (Raleigh being the one with Charlotte envy). Gas prices in Charlotte would instantly drop 10 to 15 cents on the gallon. Property taxes would instantly drop too!!! Even South Carolina's license plates have more character than North Carolina's plates. "Charlotte, South Carolina" sounds better (when you say it) than "Charlotte, North Carolina". I could go on and on. PUT CHARLOTTE IN SOUTH CAROLINA!!!

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 12-23-2008 at 05:48 AM..

Old 12-23-2008, 05:06 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
..... away and could care less about keeping Charlotte moving forward.
Having obtained the unsought position of "could not care less" police, your post, as written indicates that you feel Raleigh could care about a lot of things less than keeping Charlotte moving forward, when the tone of your post indicates (and I agree) that Raleigh COULD NOT CARE LESS..meaning that keeping Charlotte moving forward is at the bottom of their care list.

Merry Christmas.

lln

Old 12-23-2008, 06:49 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,022,585 times
Quote:
I say move the line ten miles north. That way Charlotte will be a South Carolina city. SC's infrastructure bank WILL NOT allow their state's largest city to have a six lane freeway through town. I-77 in SC is eight lanes from Carowinds to mile marker 77 in Rock Hill. SC would widen I-77 in Charlotte to 10 or 12 lanes without hesitation. SC would also finish I-485 by 2010!!! NC is content with holding Charlotte back. We need a capital city that is 90 miles away and not jealous of us. Our current capital city is 150 miles away and does not care about keeping Charlotte moving forward.

When you think about it, Charlotte being in South Carolina would be the best for all parties involved. Charlotte is already considered NC's stepchild. We are not an I-40 corridor city. We all go to SC beaches more than NC beaches. We are closer to SC's major cities and port cities than NC's. Charlotte, South Carolina would encourage SC to build a 70 MPH direct freeway to Myrtle Beach from Charlotte. Such a freeway would take 1 1/2 hours off of the current trip to Myrtle Beach. THAT WOULD BE A TWO HOUR TRIP TO MYRTLE!!! Columbia is already used to not being SC's largest metro, so civic envy between Columbia and Charlotte will be NOTHING like the whole Charlotte/Raleigh mess (Raleigh being the one with Charlotte envy). Gas prices in Charlotte would instantly drop 10 to 15 cents on the gallon. Property taxes would instantly drop too!!! Even South Carolina's license plates have more character than North Carolina's plates. "Charlotte, South Carolina" sounds better (when you say it) than "Charlotte, North Carolina". I could go on and on. PUT CHARLOTTE IN SOUTH CAROLINA!!!

Do not know how the natives Charotteans would react to that.

But you have a valid point, I think we should start trying to do that if nothing else to wake up the crooks (sorry politicans) in Raleigh.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:15 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
One of the reasons I did not move to SC when I came back here was because it felt important for me to cast my vote in the state where my ancestors fought in both the Revolutionary War and War Between the States. It is just a connection that matters to me on some visceral level. If I were to move to SC, then that is that - I would just have to deal w/ not voting in NC. But to suddenly find my home "annexed" due to a change in state boundaries - well - that would be imposed (rather than a choice) and I don't know how I would feel about that.

However, that being said, I am the first to say that Charlotte is Raleigh's redheaded stepchild . . . and I am personally very incensed that 40 years after my Dad first served in the General Assembly (and had to deal w/ that eastern NC cronyism that runs this state) - things have NOT changed . . . wh/ makes me wonder how much it will change in the future. I don't have 40 more years of life left to keep waiting (well, don't have 40 more active, sentient years left, LOL!!!!)

Maybe we should just secede and form the state of Western NC.

For those of you who know your history, it wouldn't be the first time . . . remember the State of Franklin???? If you have spent some time w/ the history of that region, the dissastisfaction w/ the settlers came down to TAXATION, w/ citizens feeling they did not benefit from paying taxes to the State of NC . . . wh/ is the same exact problem we have today! Pretty amazing, huh?

Read this short article and you will see the roots of antagonism the eastern state legislators had towards western settlers.

The First Free State Project: The brief, tumultuous history of Franklin. - Reason Magazine

Excerpt:

Settlers refused to pay taxes when North Carolina failed to build roads or appoint judges and militia to protect them from hostile Indians. Their land was taxed at the same rate as that east of the Blue Ridge, they complained, even though it was valued only a quarter as much. Yet it was impossible for the bankrupt state to build infrastructure without tax money, which couldn't be collected in the western counties where shooting tax collectors was seen as simple Christian charity. Meanwhile, the settlers were building on lands promised to the Cherokee and Choctaw in their treaties with North Carolina. These incursions sparked Indian attacks . . .

So I don't know . . . maybe instead of joining SC . . . we should just reinstate the State of Franklin - but change the borders to include all I-77 corridor counties to the west!!!!! And fight the state of SC if they try to claim Charlotte . . .

Old 12-23-2008, 07:45 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,344,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So I don't know . . . maybe instead of joining SC . . . we should just reinstate the State of Franklin - but change the borders to include all I-77 corridor counties to the west!!!!! And fight the state of SC if they try to claim Charlotte . . .
Hmmmmmmmmmm........ Interesting!!!! Charlotte would then be its own capital city. State government jobs would be added to uptown!!! I can agree with that!!!

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 12-23-2008 at 07:53 AM..

Old 12-23-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Hmmmmmmmmmm........ Interesting!!!! Charlotte would then be its own capital city. State government jobs would be added to uptown!!! I can agree with that!!!
HEE HEE HEE. Welll, let's get the militia together.

Yes, Charlotte as Capitol. I think we could convince Asheville and Boone to go along w/ us - and all the towns in between.

Then we could use our tax dollars more effectively to take care of the western part of this state. That would also put Duke Power in our jurisdiction, wh/ means we could raise rates for power sold to the EAST.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:42 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
One of the reasons I did not move to SC when I came back here was because it felt important for me to cast my vote in the state where my ancestors fought in both the Revolutionary War and War Between the States. It is just a connection that matters to me on some visceral level. If I were to move to SC, then that is that - I would just have to deal w/ not voting in NC. But to suddenly find my home "annexed" due to a change in state boundaries - well - that would be imposed (rather than a choice) and I don't know how I would feel about that.

However, that being said, I am the first to say that Charlotte is Raleigh's redheaded stepchild . . . and I am personally very incensed that 40 years after my Dad first served in the General Assembly (and had to deal w/ that eastern NC cronyism that runs this state) - things have NOT changed . . . wh/ makes me wonder how much it will change in the future. I don't have 40 more years of life left to keep waiting (well, don't have 40 more active, sentient years left, LOL!!!!)

Maybe we should just secede and form the state of Western NC.

For those of you who know your history, it wouldn't be the first time . . . remember the State of Franklin???? If you have spent some time w/ the history of that region, the dissastisfaction w/ the settlers came down to TAXATION, w/ citizens feeling they did not benefit from paying taxes to the State of NC . . . wh/ is the same exact problem we have today! Pretty amazing, huh?

Read this short article and you will see the roots of antagonism the eastern state legislators had towards western settlers.

The First Free State Project: The brief, tumultuous history of Franklin. - Reason Magazine

Excerpt:

Settlers refused to pay taxes when North Carolina failed to build roads or appoint judges and militia to protect them from hostile Indians. Their land was taxed at the same rate as that east of the Blue Ridge, they complained, even though it was valued only a quarter as much. Yet it was impossible for the bankrupt state to build infrastructure without tax money, which couldn't be collected in the western counties where shooting tax collectors was seen as simple Christian charity. Meanwhile, the settlers were building on lands promised to the Cherokee and Choctaw in their treaties with North Carolina. These incursions sparked Indian attacks . . .

LOL, I'm well acquainted with the State of Franklin, Ani. I've been digging around in that for several years now.

The State of Western Carolina or a new State of Franklin would work.

If it was going to be a the state of Franklin, Philly is the place to check for ways to pay homage to Ben.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
LOL, I'm well acquainted with the State of Franklin, Ani. I've been digging around in that for several years now.

The State of Western Carolina or a new State of Franklin would work.

If it was going to be a the state of Franklin, Philly is the place to check for ways to pay homage to Ben.
Maybe Philly could be Charlotte's sister city, LOL!!!!

Let's see . . . we would have to figure out state utilities - we have Duke and Piedmont Natural Gas . . . I would kick TW out. All contracts up for grabs. And state insurance contracts- BC/BS would have to come up w/ much more robust plans w/ lower premiums and greater coverage. And car insurance would go DOWN . . .

Forget SC - let's just secede.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte