Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:25 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,413,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittohead View Post
Finally God has blessed us with a friendly, ourgoing NY/NJ person wow hopefully we can grow on this!
Finally blessed you with A friendly, outgoing NY/NJ person. And how many northerners did you have to go through to finally find your friendly, outgoing NY/NJ person?

Old 04-15-2008, 07:32 PM

620 posts, read 2,120,009 times
I will just be blunt and say you will probably have to move because you won't like it here, especially after another 10 years go by. Charlotte is one of the fastest growing metros in the country and so is the state as a whole. We are the second largest financial center behind NYC, with Wachovia and Bank of America headquartered here. As a result, there are a lot of people from the Northeast and West Coast. People from ALL over are moving here (even southern people). Maybe you should look into Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas or even the panhandle of Florida (there are still lots of places in FL that haven't changed much). Sorry you feel that way about "northern" people - I find most of them to be very genuine, because when they are nice, they actually mean it. Maybe we are all bias about our "own kind", when in reality there are rude and kind people in every region of this country.

Last edited by nyxmike; 04-15-2008 at 07:55 PM..

Old 04-16-2008, 09:27 PM

928 posts, read 3,853,994 times
Where my husband works, there are 4 UpState NY'ers on his team and one person is a gypsy whose husband is in the military so she moves alot.

If you don't think you'll like it, please, buy all means don't come here. I never heard any backlash when people find out I'm a yankee.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:08 AM

285 posts, read 1,020,795 times
As a born and raised Southener, I lived 10 years in Washington, DC. There IS a "northeast" culture that is more abrupt and self-centered. I began to adopt some of these traits while there out of self-defense. Now that I've been here a year, I honestly believe that a lot of the behavior that is objectionable is a product of the very stressful environment many northeasterners live in. 1 to 2 hours commutes - each way!
Traffic jams that last for hours. Out of control housing and tax costs. No free time. You get the picture. After a while, this really takes a toll on a person. If someone doesn't go as soon as the light turns green you honk! Why? Because you might not make it through the light and that adds to the delay in getting home. Same thing with taking advantage in lines at stores, fighting over parking spaces, shoving to get on the subway, etc. It becomes a dog-eat-dog world.

It doesn't take long to lose that once you move here. The pace is slower, people are friendlier, and rarely do I hear a horn (I admit I still tap mine occasionally - wake up there!). So I'm not sure that the folks moving here aren't trying to escape the madness and therefore will adopt Southern culture more readily. I think the retirees deliberately moved to Florida to be together with other Northerners (weren't those retirement communities marketed that way?). A lot of folks moving here are doing so to come to this place only and with a desire to improve their lifestyle (like me!)

Old 04-19-2008, 01:01 AM

29 posts, read 237,286 times
Let me just add my Opinion.Why is it that people from other big cities such as Chicago,Los ANgeles go other places and not to many of them are unadaptable to the new environment.The New Yorkers I've come across are down right rude,in Mid Western cities such as Houston and St.LOuis you may see a lack of booming economy yet the citizens seem to take pride in their city and their belongings,also alot of notherners from the MiD-WEST TEND THE MOVE There.

People can get mad and say what they want but New Yorkers are plague they've gone city to city ruining everything,from DC ,ATL,and Cities in Florida.I'm noticing alot of people from the southeast of the US moving west of the Mississippi.When will the madness stop.If your price of housing is that bad move to West Virginia or Wyoming.Imposing your idiotic traditions and selfish morals is putting the US in Decay,sooner or later your not gonna be able to live anywhere.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:37 AM

338 posts, read 897,837 times
I thought that most people in Charlotte who come from New York come from upstate (e.g., Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse) not NYC.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:07 AM

99 posts, read 395,767 times
Yo, I am a New Yawker (yeah from da city) and I am coming down to Charlotte wit my tricked out Escalade with the Dubs on it. I got a real phat sound system (all bass) that I will be blasting rap music out of when I drive down your block. I got really high frosted hair and long fingernails. I love my cawfee and I smoke Virgina Slims like they're going out of style. I wear really tight clothes that are just low cut enough to show my tattoos off. Don't even ask me about my husband and my sons.......I just got them some new track suits and hats that they can wear backwards. My little guy (he's only 9) just got a new 2 carat diamond stud to wear in his ear! You know - the more bling the better! We can't wait to get down there to meet you!

Now if that is what you think of all New Yorkers you are the one that is idiotic. Yes, we are coming from NYC to live in the Charlotte area- with our plain minivan and our 2 sons that are straight A students. One is a cub scout the other is an Eagle scout. All we are looking for is a better quality of life. Just like I am embarrassed by the stereo-type New Yorkers that I described above, if I were a native Southerner I would be embarrassed by your ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicRaider View Post
Let me just add my Opinion.Why is it that people from other big cities such as Chicago,Los ANgeles go other places and not to many of them are unadaptable to the new environment.The New Yorkers I've come across are down right rude,in Mid Western cities such as Houston and St.LOuis you may see a lack of booming economy yet the citizens seem to take pride in their city and their belongings,also alot of notherners from the MiD-WEST TEND THE MOVE There.

People can get mad and say what they want but New Yorkers are plague they've gone city to city ruining everything,from DC ,ATL,and Cities in Florida.I'm noticing alot of people from the southeast of the US moving west of the Mississippi.When will the madness stop.If your price of housing is that bad move to West Virginia or Wyoming.Imposing your idiotic traditions and selfish morals is putting the US in Decay,sooner or later your not gonna be able to live anywhere.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:11 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,539,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justpeachee View Post
Yo, I am a New Yawker (yeah from da city) and I am coming down to Charlotte wit my tricked out Escalade with the Dubs on it. I got a real phat sound system (all bass) that I will be blasting rap music out of when I drive down your block. I got really high frosted hair and long fingernails. I love my cawfee and I smoke Virgina Slims like they're going out of style. I wear really tight clothes that are just low cut enough to show my tattoos off. Don't even ask me about my husband and my sons.......I just got them some new track suits and hats that they can wear backwards. My little guy (he's only 9) just got a new 2 carat diamond stud to wear in his ear! You know - the more bling the better! We can't wait to get down there to meet you!

Now if that is what you think of all New Yorkers you are the one that is idiotic. Yes, we are coming from NYC to live in the Charlotte area- with our plain minivan and our 2 sons that are straight A students. One is a cub scout the other is an Eagle scout. All we are looking for is a better quality of life. Just like I am embarrassed by the stereo-type New Yorkers that I described above, if I were a native Southerner I would be embarrassed by your ignorance.
ROFL! What a hoot!

No, Justpeachee . . . I doubt even 1% of Southerners think your description of "New Yawkers" is what people are like from the NE. From experience, we have found that the negative traits that "New Yawkers" may show up with . . . quickly dissipate.

No one understands stereotypes better than a Southerner. When people move here, do they expect to find uneducated, barefoot, toothless banjo pickin' yahoos? I surely hope not. So it works both ways.

Yes, I have certainly come in contact w/ newcomers from the NE (w/ NJ and NY being the two most prominent states) who are pushy, obnoxious, loud and disruptive. This seems to be especially evident in restaurants, grocery stores, confrontations at school w/ parents, etc. But that attitude usually goes away pretty quickly when newcomers realize that their Southern neighbors include people just like them - educated, sophisticated, well-traveled, open-minded individuals who really do care that everyone has a decent life here. Newcomers may be here from areas where it was necessary to "speak up" - b/c no one got what they needed unless they got pushy! We all become part of what our environment shapes us to become.

Southerners feel the one hold out where rude behavior continues to be the most prominent is on our streets - when people get behind the wheel. Well, I am not so sure how much of this is "Yankee" behavior . . . how much is Southern behavior . . . and how much of it is a response to both behaviors, LOL!!! I know I get terribly frustrated driving here b/c of merging issues. For God's sake - let people merge!!!! And for those of you who don't know HOW to merge, keep your speed up and quit stopping on the merging lane waiting for someone to "let you in" - get moving and if you have to get aggressive to get people to let you in - learn to do it! Don't slam on your brakes and cause me to hit your rear end! So is this a Southern problem or a Yankee newcomer problem? I have no clue - but everyone should be working together here - let's all learn to adapt!!!! Driving here can be sheer HELL and I have driven all over the USA and in Europe, as well.

I moved back here and found a large number of newcomers had arrived b/f my return. I think it is great! I have made new friends whom I feel will remain friends for life. If any of these wonderful people had an "attitude" when they arrived, I surely don't know it. We are all just parents wanting the best for our kids . . . employees wanting to have a decent career . . . homeowners wanting to preserve our assets and live a good life in a safe neighborhood.

There are adjustments. Newcomers complain about things they can't find here . . . but what I hope everyone realizes . . . Southerners are as interested in what you left behind as you are . . . we are happy to integrate your customs, traditions and culture with ours - as long as our customs, traditions and cultures are being respected! You miss your bakeries? Bring 'em on down - we will enjoy them, too! Miss your pizza? Bring it on down! We are glad to try it out!

Heck, I had to make my own yogurt back in college b/c it was not a commonly found item in local grocery stores where I lived. Things change! People are used to what has been put in front of them. You give us more choices- we will embrace them. We just hope you will embrace us, as well!

No one is sure what Charlotte will look like in five years. We are all changing and growing together. New ideas are good! Just don't smack us w/ your ideas . . . we are all learning here . . .

Accents may differ. Customs may differ. Habits may differ. But all people understand a smile, a pleasant countenance and a genuine desire to be part of the community. Together, we can join hands and make Charlotte a shining example of what it means to be living in the "New South."

Last edited by brokensky; 04-19-2008 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-19-2008, 07:26 AM

620 posts, read 2,120,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
ROFL! What a hoot!

No, Justpeachee . . . I doubt even 1% of Southerners think your description of "New Yawkers" is what people are like from the NE. From experience, we have found that the negative traits that "New Yawkers" may show up with . . . quickly dissipate.

No one understands stereotypes better than a Southerner. When people move here, do they expect to find uneducated, barefoot, toothless banjo pickin' yahoos? I surely hope not. So it works both ways.

Yes, I have certainly come in contact w/ newcomers from the NE (w/ NJ and NY being the two most prominent states) who are pushy, obnoxious, loud and disruptive. This seems to be especially evident in restaurants, grocery stores, confrontations at school w/ parents, etc. But that attitude usually goes away pretty quickly when newcomers realize that their Southern neighbors include people just like them - educated, sophisticated, well-traveled, open-minded individuals who really do care that everyone has a decent life here. Newcomers may be here from areas where it was necessary to "speak up" - b/c no one got what they needed unless they got pushy! We all become part of what our environment shapes us to become.

Southerners feel the one hold out where rude behavior continues to be the most prominent is on our streets - when people get behind the wheel. Well, I am not so sure how much of this is "Yankee" behavior . . . how much is Southern behavior . . . and how much of it is a response to both behaviors, LOL!!! I know I get terribly frustrated driving here b/c of merging issues. For God's sake - let people merge!!!! And for those of you who don't know HOW to merge, keep your speed up and quit stopping on the merging lane waiting for someone to "let you in" - get moving and if you have to get aggressive to get people to let you in - learn to do it! Don't slam on your brakes and cause me to hit your rear end! So is this a Southern problem or a Yankee newcomer problem? I have no clue - but everyone should be working together here - let's all learn to adapt!!!! Driving here can be sheer HELL and I have driven all over the USA and in Europe, as well.

I moved back here and found a large number of newcomers had arrived b/f my return. I think it is great! I have made new friends whom I feel will remain friends for life. If any of these wonderful people had an "attitude" when they arrived, I surely don't know it. We are all just parents wanting the best for our kids . . . employees wanting to have a decent career . . . homeowners wanting to preserve our assets and live a good life in a safe neighborhood.

There are adjustments. Newcomers complain about things they can't find here . . . but what I hope everyone realizes . . . Southerners are as interested in what you left behind as you are . . . we are happy to integrate your customs, traditions and culture with ours - as long as our customs, traditions and cultures are being respected! You miss your bakeries? Bring 'em on down - we will enjoy them, too! Miss your pizza? Bring it on down! We are glad to try it out!

Heck, I had to make my own yogurt back in college b/c it was not a commonly found item in local grocery stores where I lived. Things change! People are used to what has been put in front of them. You give us more choices- we will embrace them. We just hope you will embrace us, as well!

No one is sure what Charlotte will look like in five years. We are all changing and growing together. New ideas are good! Just don't smack us w/ your ideas . . . we are all learning here . . .

Accents may differ. Customs may differ. Habits may differ. But all people understand a smile, a pleasant countenance and a genuine desire to be part of the community. Together, we can join hands and make Charlotte a shining example of what it means to be living in the "New South."
What a great post. Thank you so much for that. I definitely couldn't of said it any better.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:34 AM

99 posts, read 395,767 times
I totally agree with you. Being a native New Yorker (from the city) I took great offense to NomadicRaider's comment that "Imposing your idiotic traditions and selfish morals is putting the US in Decay". Yes, there are a lot of NY'ers that fit the stereotype, part of that is why we are moving, but saying that we as a group are putting the country in decay is an ignorant statement. Makes him/her seem to fit the "uneducated Southerner" stereotype Sorry if I caused any controversy. I just had to come out to defend my fellow New Yorkers. I guess that is just the NY girl coming out in me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
ROFL! What a hoot!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte