Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:10 PM

930 posts, read 2,160,437 times

Advertisements

Oh my gosh, I have been this close to a Publix for a year and didn't even know it. Thank you. I am only about 45 minutes from Spartanburg right now, I will have to take a trip. I miss it so much from living in FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 05:56 AM

747 posts, read 2,104,619 times
They didnt have Cuban bread, pastelitos, or canned yuca. Everything else we wanted they pretty much had. After 5 weeks, it was cool walking in to a Publix again.
It is 90 miles from HCreek, not a bad drive if you plan other outings in as well. We also went to a ice cream place called Ice Cream Creations. It was on Main Street about 5 miles before we got to Publix. Cool place, with unique flavors.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:20 AM

285 posts, read 1,071,784 times
Whoo hoo! I can't wait till Lake Norman if they do open up....

Food for thought, if you contact the store manager of Harris Teeter, they can and will order you stuff. I asked the manager at my local HT for mojo and canned yuca, and they had it in the store in 2 weeks.

Lastly, Compare is a good source but albeit a drive.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:26 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Okay guys. Educate me. What do I do w/ canned Yucca????? And what is Mojo? What am I missing out on????

Old 06-25-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Okay guys. Educate me. What do I do w/ canned Yucca????? And what is Mojo? What am I missing out on????
Yucca is a root, similar to a potato. When it is canned, you can heat it slowly with some butter and garlic like you would a canned potato. It is a stringy root, but Goya usually has a higher quality than Badia or other brands. Mojo is a marinade used for roast pork or other meats. The mojo I have found here is a small bottle (26 oz I believe) for $4. Publix has 128 oz for $5. Because I use a lot to roast pork, it is much more economical to use the big bottle from Publix. A gringo equivalent to mojo would be a Italian dressing, but mojo is citrus based, not oil based. YUMMY!

Old 06-25-2008, 08:10 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
They didnt have Cuban bread, pastelitos, or canned yuca. Everything else we wanted they pretty much had. After 5 weeks, it was cool walking in to a Publix again.
It is 90 miles from HCreek, not a bad drive if you plan other outings in as well. We also went to a ice cream place called Ice Cream Creations. It was on Main Street about 5 miles before we got to Publix. Cool place, with unique flavors.

I was in there two weeks ago.

I plan on being in Dadeland publix next week

Old 06-25-2008, 08:12 AM

That is their flagship, #1 volume in the Company, replacing Coral Reef and US 1.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:30 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,346 times
As much as I'd love to have Publix in Charlotte, I'd be nervous as to whether or not they could uphold what we're used to from Florida: best sub's in the world, good store brand stuff, etc... Their HQ is in Lakeland, FL, so I wonder how they'll keep the same standards and freshness.

If they can work that out, then bring it on! I just wouldn't want to tarnish the name with lack-luster performance.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:54 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
Yucca is a root, similar to a potato. When it is canned, you can heat it slowly with some butter and garlic like you would a canned potato. It is a stringy root, but Goya usually has a higher quality than Badia or other brands. Mojo is a marinade used for roast pork or other meats. The mojo I have found here is a small bottle (26 oz I believe) for $4. Publix has 128 oz for $5. Because I use a lot to roast pork, it is much more economical to use the big bottle from Publix. A gringo equivalent to mojo would be a Italian dressing, but mojo is citrus based, not oil based. YUMMY!
I love roast pork, too. Now I want to try the Mojo. And I have only known Yucca as an ingredient in shampoo, so that sounds fascinating to try it as a veggie.

So where do I find recipes . . . ????

Old 06-25-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I love roast pork, too. Now I want to try the Mojo. And I have only known Yucca as an ingredient in shampoo, so that sounds fascinating to try it as a veggie.

So where do I find recipes . . . ????
Buy a picnic leg (I buy when they are on sale for .89 lb). Take a sharp pointed knife, and poke holes in the tough outer fat/ skin layer. Rub entire leg with chopped garlic (I use garlic in olive oil). I then place the leg in a airtight container, and pour several cups of mojo on top. I place in fridge for 24 hours, turning the pork several times to coat evenly. I roast covered with foil @ 250 degrees with the marinating juices for 8-10 hours (fat side up). Take off the foil, and brown under the broiler to crisp skin.

Yucca can just be pan fried with garlic and butter until warm. If you slice open the pieces, you will see the strings, just pull them out. You can also buy frozen yucca, which will need to be boiled first. Remember, canned yucca is just like canned potatoes, you can cook the same way.

Here is another recipe for lechon (pork). Explore the website, very interesting reading.

3 Guys Cuban Recipe: Cuban Main Dish: Lechon Asado (Cuban)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte