Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:36 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Out of the frying pan and into the fire!
The NHS has been on the road to privatization via the backdoor for the last 20 years while most people were sleeping.

I'm a little behind on reading the articles, but I do feel it's biased and some of the case study's regarding the patients who had liens put on their homes for non-payment seemed a little "fishy".

The snippets of positive information regarding the system are "buried" and it fails to mention that the system met all of the hospital core measures for infections, readmissions etc last year .

The series would have been far more credible and more useful to the general public if it had been more balanced IMO- but then it wouldn't have met it's "scare mongering" ambitions quite as wonderfully.

One thing that the CO fails to mention, (despite the fact that Tarwater is quoted as saying one of the reasons for the high profit is a cheap labor pool), is the cost of the employee health insurance, which is increasing steadily at rate of around 10% and had a 25% increase in co-pays for PCP visits and deductibles added into the plan last year.

We pay $520 (around 10% of our income) every 4 weeks for our family health insurance premiums (exc dental and vision) and have a $6000 deductible after which the plan pays 80% of costs
Huh, just because labor pool is cheap how does that legititmize what they are doing is in the public's best interest? Can you explain that to me?

Look, many people on this site drink the hospital kool-aid, and that's fine. If you think its unbalanced, lets hear legitimate reasons to refute what the article says instead of calling it names (ie scare mongering).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 01:12 PM

642 posts, read 1,170,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
I think that you'll find that the actual "medical care" in the UK is actually more evidence based and that the Doctors practice a better kind of medicine where patient history and clinical exam are the backbone of the medical diagnosis , followed by investigations to confirm, rather than here where the investigations seem to be the backbone.
Thankfully I've not had much need to see MDs since we moved here, but out of the 4 (PCP,GYN,GASTRO and ER) not one of them has taken a comprehensive history including past ,current, drug and family history nor carried out a full physical examination, however they all seem to manage to charge for a " moderately complex" diagnosis.

Where the UK differs is in the availability, age, size and number of facilities and technology, nurse and support staff numbers and the "comfort" features of facilities, particularly the wards
You could very well be right. I base my opinions of UK medical care on the care I now receive there vs. the care I got in Switzerland, where I lived for 35 years.

My doctor in the UK is extremely good but the system sucks - put bluntly. My son who has lived in S-CLT for the last 3 years seems to be getting care that is al least as good as he had all his life in Switzerland.

Guess I'll pay the premiums and see what happens. If I stop posting .... - hehe.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:32 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Huh, just because labor pool is cheap how does that legititmize what they are doing is in the public's best interest? Can you explain that to me?

Look, many people on this site drink the hospital kool-aid, and that's fine. If you think its unbalanced, lets hear legitimate reasons to refute what the article says instead of calling it names (ie scare mongering).
I didn't say it did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte