Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:55 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,337,570 times

Advertisements

I was reading about this new 430 ft tower in Huntersville, and thought something that big must be easy to find. It was.

ABB reaches major construction milestone with Huntersville cable factory tower
Attached Thumbnails
New 430 ft tower in Huntersville-tower2s.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 12:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
I never seen such a tower for that purpose. I wonder what they do inside the tower.

This is good for jobs for Huntersville they are hiring for lead production operator, production planner, process control engineer, design engineer, proposal engineer and supply chain manager.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:37 PM

495 posts, read 1,078,343 times
I'm just surprised that this eyesore was zoned, permitted, and allowed to go up in such a manner. Imagine what it'll look like in 10 years once mold, moss and acid rain go to work on it. It can be seen from miles around and is a prominent concrete fixture on the horizon even when viewed from uptown Charlotte. Basically looks like an oversized smokestack.

Couldn't they have come up with a better design? Maybe put some glass on the outside and some ornamentation on top to make it look more presentable? The shiny buildings in uptown are tall and take up space, but there's an aesthetic component that actually enhances the surroundings. As opposed to the dungeon-like concrete cigar rising from the forest.

Better yet, if they needed 430 feet of vertical space, couldn't something underground have worked?

Old 09-02-2011, 08:59 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
I'm just surprised that this eyesore was zoned, permitted, and allowed to go up in such a manner. Imagine what it'll look like in 10 years once mold, moss and acid rain go to work on it. It can be seen from miles around and is a prominent concrete fixture on the horizon even when viewed from uptown Charlotte. Basically looks like an oversized smokestack.

Couldn't they have come up with a better design? Maybe put some glass on the outside and some ornamentation on top to make it look more presentable? The shiny buildings in uptown are tall and take up space, but there's an aesthetic component that actually enhances the surroundings. As opposed to the dungeon-like concrete cigar rising from the forest.

Better yet, if they needed 430 feet of vertical space, couldn't something underground have worked?
Dig a hole 430 feet and- how wide??? - down into the ground? With the water table in that area????

Old 09-03-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Dig a hole 430 feet and- how wide??? - down into the ground? With the water table in that area????
Well, I guess we won the siting for a reason. I imagine not many other places were willing to accept a 430-foot behemoth for only 100 jobs. At that rate, we could replace every sightline with concrete cigars and still not employ all of Charlotte.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Well, I guess we won the siting for a reason. I imagine not many other places were willing to accept a 430-foot behemoth for only 100 jobs. At that rate, we could replace every sightline with concrete cigars and still not employ all of Charlotte.
Altho I can respect that you feel the tower is visually unappealing, I am having problems understanding what the big deal is, lol. It is a vertical structure that doesn't consume a huge footprint on the land . . . seems like the design is good use of "air space" . . . Why is it so awful having a structure like this on the horizon? It is utilitarian.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Altho I can respect that you feel the tower is visually unappealing, I am having problems understanding what the big deal is, lol. It is a vertical structure that doesn't consume a huge footprint on the land . . . seems like the design is good use of "air space" . . . Why is it so awful having a structure like this on the horizon? It is utilitarian.
It's not just the tower. It's how govermental officials bent over backwards to win this project. It required a fly-by-night rewriting of the zoning code (which exists for a reason). The project only came because taxpayers sweetened the pot with a $2 million tax abatement for the company, a $2.15 million development grant, and a $6 million bridge across highway 115 for the sole purpose of serving this site. So we're talking $10.15 million in taxpayer money spent for 100 jobs, or over $100k/job. That's about as inefficient as Obama's stimulus.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
It's not just the tower. It's how govermental officials bent over backwards to win this project. It required a fly-by-night rewriting of the zoning code (which exists for a reason). The project only came because taxpayers sweetened the pot with a $2 million tax abatement for the company, a $2.15 million development grant, and a $6 million bridge across highway 115 for the sole purpose of serving this site. So we're talking $10.15 million in taxpayer money spent for 100 jobs, or over $100k/job. That's about as inefficient as Obama's stimulus.
Hee Hee Hee. Yeah, that is a lot of money to buy consensus to build something ugly.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:06 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,431,124 times
Quote:
Same reason Duke say they won't build wind turbines?
Because they look ugly

Old 09-03-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Same reason Duke say they won't build wind turbines?
Because they look ugly
I wonder if back in the 16th C (or whenever it was) when they were erecting windmills in Holland, if folks were upset, saying . . . these horrible things are dotting the countryside and look like big beasts out there on the horizon - rather than - "How charming! Let's put these in our paintings!" lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte