Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 08:23 PM

543 posts, read 1,825,409 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys, been a few weeks.. We'e done with all the moving and all but wanted to update everyone on our situation.

Got here June 28th, 15 days now.. Mostly unpacked but still a garage full of crap that we should have left at home.

Firstly, we drove here from Mass and used U-Pack for our moving company where we had a crew load the truck there and another crew unload the truck here. Worked out great. We had 1 dish break and a couple of scratches on our furniture, which was our fault, but otherwise it was the move was fantastic and cheap compared to any other movers we looked at.

We've been in our new house for only 2 weeks but absolutely love it, we miss our friends a bit but still love it here. I can't believe we waited this long to do this. The area around here is so nice and has anything you could ask for.

As an side note, we went to Chili's tonight for dinner at 6:00, prime time, and there was no wait!! There are so many places to go for dinner that there was no wait, it was amazing. At home in Mass, if we didn't get there before 4:30 then you might as well wait until 7:30 otherwise you'd have to sit around and wait for a while.

Anyway back to the story. We drove from Sutton Ma on June 28th and hit the big rain storm all the way from PA to VA, 5 hours of pouring rain. We only averaged about 50 during the rain so the normal 15 hour drive took us about 17 hours. Long and tiring for sure, but we made it here, found our keys in the mailbox and ventured in.

We watched from long distance as our house was being built and our realtor and friends took pictures for us as things progressed. It was so difficult to not be here an watch our house being built but it was also thrilling to have to wait to get here and see it for ourselves. It was such a huge move for us anyway, selling in Mass and then moving here away from our family and friends, that it made the drama even more intense.

We finally got here about midnight, had nothing to sleep on but air mattresses and all of our clothes was packed in a few suitcases. Walked in the house , luggage hit the wall and left a big black mark, the first of many.
I'm not complaining, but the builders use the cheapest flat wall paint possible and if you look at it funny it'll leave a stain. We figured we'd be painting sometime soon but it'll end up being sooner than I thought, I reckon, y'all.

Anyway, most of the houses around us are still being built and we only have one set of direct neighbors and they are very nice. Brought us over a plate of cookies fafter I fixed their wireless internet connection.

Not trying to be dull here but we have a small postage stamp kind of lot. What we always dreamed of. Our kids hooked up with neighborhood kids within a few days and now they are ringing our doorbell for the kids to come out and play, it's awesome. Within 3 miles of our house there is every store imaginable.

I know my dream of a small postage stamp lot, with flowers, spinning Elvis and buried Madonna statue bathtub are not the same as everyone else's but so far we absolutely love it here. It's hot but it feels nice. I guess eventually the heat will get worse but for now it good and manageable. A/C is a good thing

We had a fence installed today for the doggies so they can't chase the Brazilian workers(don't get me started on them) but it came out awesome and we're so happy as since we've never had a fence before. The same fence in Mass would have been triple the price.

So far it's a totally different lifestyle that takes some time to get used to. Prime example is that I usually never drink on a school night but tonight I've had a few beers because it feels like we are on vacation with the heat and all, had some cool thunderstorms too...

Last bit of rambling here... Just about everyone in our neighborhood that we've met so far are transplants from, ny, nj, fl, ca, etc who were sick and tired of the high cost of living and moved here and everyone is so nice. I know that this only applies to our situation but I'd imagine that most any new neighborhood would be about the same. Even the grocery clerk at Harris Teeter asked if I needed help loading groceries into my car. I was amazed. I'm not some overweight balding forty year old, we'll maybe I am, but I can still carry my own chips ahoy's to the car -- **** it.

So even though I thought my last rambling was the last it's not... But to keep your eyes from spinning in your head like a slot machine I'll leave you with this last question...

Who was it that's got the brats soaking in beer for the grill? We're just about ready for a gathering now that we have a fence to keep the trolls at bay..

Mark

Last edited by Markh; 07-13-2006 at 08:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2006, 08:41 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,855,438 times
Great feedback! Glad you guys are happy. Question though. Trying to judge how accurate the crime reports are out there. For here there are good and our area is right on. Your area (without zipcode) comes up as a solid 6 (10 is Iraq, 1 is Heaven). Accurate?

Last edited by TornadoAlley; 07-13-2006 at 08:43 PM..

Old 07-13-2006, 08:41 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh
Hi Guys, been a few weeks.. We'e done with all the moving and all but wanted to update everyone on our situation.

Got here June 28th, 15 days now.. Mostly unpacked but still a garage full of crap that we should have left at home.

Firstly, we drove here from Mass and used U-Pack for our moving company where we had a crew load the truck there and another crew unload the truck here. Worked out great. We had 1 dish break and a couple of scratches on our furniture, which was our fault, but otherwise it was the move was fantastic and cheap compared to any other movers we looked at.

We've been in our new house for only 2 weeks but absolutely love it, we miss our friends a bit but still love it here. I can't believe we waited this long to do this. The area around here is so nice and has anything you could ask for.

As an side note, we went to Chili's tonight for dinner at 6:00, prime time, and there was no wait!! There are so many places to go for dinner that there was no wait, it was amazing. At home in Mass, if we didn't get there before 4:30 then you might as well wait until 7:30 otherwise you'd have to sit around and wait for a while.

Anyway back to the story. We drove from Sutton Ma on June 28th and hit the big rain storm all the way from PA to VA, 5 hours of pouring rain. We only averaged about 50 during the rain so the normal 15 hour drive took us about 17 hours. Long and tiring for sure, but we made it here, found our keys in the mailbox and ventured in.

We watched from long distance as our house was being built and our realtor and friends took pictures for us as things progressed. It was so difficult to not be here an watch our house being built but it was also thrilling to have to wait to get here and see it for ourselves. It was such a huge move for us anyway, selling in Mass and then moving here away from our family and friends, that it made the drama even more intense.

We finally got here about midnight, had nothing to sleep on but air mattresses and all of our clothes was packed in a few suitcases. Walked in the house , luggage hit the wall and left a big black mark, the first of many.
I'm not complaining, but the builders use the cheapest flat wall paint possible and if you look at it funny it'll leave a stain. We figured we'd be painting sometime soon but it'll end up being sooner than I thought, I reckon, y'all.

Anyway, most of the houses around us are still being built and we only have one set of direct neighbors and they are very nice. Brought us over a plate of cookies fafter I fixed their wireless internet connection.

Not trying to be dull here but we have a small postage stamp kind of lot. What we always dreamed of. Our kids hooked up with neighborhood kids within a few days and now they are ringing our doorbell for the kids to come out and play, it's awesome. Within 3 miles of our house there is every store imaginable.

I know my dream of a small postage stamp lot, with flowers, spinning Elvis and buried Madonna statue bathtub are not the same as everyone else's but so far we absolutely love it here. It's hot but it feels nice. I guess eventually the heat will get worse but for now it good and manageable. A/C is a good thing

We had a fence installed today for the doggies so they can't chase the Brazilian workers(don't get me started on them) but it came out awesome and we're so happy as since we've never had a fence before. The same fence in Mass would have been triple the price.

So far it's a totally different lifestyle that takes some time to get used to. Prime example is that I usually never drink on a school night but tonight I've had a few beers because it feels like we are on vacation with the heat and all, had some cool thunderstorms too...

Last bit of rambling here... Just about everyone in our neighborhood that we've met so far are transplants from, ny, nj, fl, ca, etc who were sick and tired of the high cost of living and moved here and everyone is so nice. I know that this only applies to our situation but I'd imagine that most any new neighborhood would be about the same. Even the grocery clerk at Harris Teeter asked if I needed help loading groceries into my car. I was amazed. I'm not some overweight balding forty year old, we'll maybe I am, but I can still carry my own chips ahoy's to the car -- **** it.

So even though I thought my last rambling was the last it's not... But to keep your eyes from spinning in your head like a slot machine I'll leave you with this last question...

Who was it that's got the brats soaking in beer for the grill? We're just about ready for a gathering now that we have a fence to keep the trolls at bay..

Mark

You are making me jealous. That will be me soon but not soon enough.

Old 07-13-2006, 08:48 PM

How is your house coming along? Any bites?

Old 07-13-2006, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley
How is your house coming along? Any bites?
We haven't put it up yet still waiting to finish the tile work. Our goal is to put it up by the end of next week.

You know by looking at Huntersville you would't think it is a 6 in crime. It is a really nice looking area.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:03 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,214,131 times
Quote:
Mark

Congratulations Mark....glad you are enjoying it all!

Thought I would mention...since you are new to the area....we had friends come and visit us recently....we took them all to Lazy 5 Ranch in Mooreseville, NC (which they loved)....on the drive there we stopped and had lunch at Jason's Deli in Huntersville (it was excellent!)...you might want to check it out (side note: we did try the location in Pineville, NC...and I've got to say the one in Huntersville beats it by a mile).

Old 07-13-2006, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas
Congratulations Mark....glad you are enjoying it all!

Thought I would mention...since you are new to the area....we had friends come and visit us recently....we took them all to Lazy 5 Ranch in Mooreseville, NC (which they loved)....on the drive there we stopped and had lunch at Jason's Deli in Huntersville (it was excellent!)...you might want to check it out (side note: we did try the location in Pineville, NC...and I've got to say the one in Huntersville beats it by a mile).

I love Jason's Deli we have them here in AZ too.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:37 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,368 times
Mark, I'm new here - just a handful of posts, but I've been reading ALOT on this board. NC is a place that I have been researching for a while and we will be driving to sometime soon.

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed your post, don't know you but am happy to hear that your experience is very positive. Love the neighbors with the cookies & you helping with the internet. Love hearing about the children ringing the doorbell to have your kids come out and play.

Best of luck to you in your new home, and I hope to be able to write a post just like yours someday!

Old 07-13-2006, 11:22 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,830,047 times
Quote:

Mark
Your Beer Brats are still stuck here in So Cal! Still haven't sold, 5 1/2 months on the market, buried the St Joseph statue a few months ago and figure you must be Catholic for it to work.

I must say that on the 4th we simmered brats in beer in the crock pot for about 5 hours and then tossed them on the BBQ, they were goood! Hope we don't have to wait too much longer. Thanks for the great post.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
We haven't put it up yet still waiting to finish the tile work. Our goal is to put it up by the end of next week.

You know by looking at Huntersville you would't think it is a 6 in crime. It is a really nice looking area.
Weird. That's why I asked. I know 6 around here is bad. Our area is a 5 now. Was a 4 when we moved here. Sad to see it go down. My hope is getting in a small town with 500 deputy's on the force and everyone has a dog! That should keep them away. Tanks on the street might be much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte