Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 09:32 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02
If you are over the line you could be in some CMS schools, JM Robinson shows both counties
We are located in Cabarrus county.

The schools are Odell Elementary, Harris Junior and NW Cabarrus HS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2006, 08:10 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh
Hi Guys, been a few weeks.. We'e done with all the moving and all but wanted to update everyone on our situation.

Got here June 28th, 15 days now.. Mostly unpacked but still a garage full of crap that we should have left at home.

Firstly, we drove here from Mass and used U-Pack for our moving company where we had a crew load the truck there and another crew unload the truck here. Worked out great. We had 1 dish break and a couple of scratches on our furniture, which was our fault, but otherwise it was the move was fantastic and cheap compared to any other movers we looked at.

We've been in our new house for only 2 weeks but absolutely love it, we miss our friends a bit but still love it here. I can't believe we waited this long to do this. The area around here is so nice and has anything you could ask for.

As an side note, we went to Chili's tonight for dinner at 6:00, prime time, and there was no wait!! There are so many places to go for dinner that there was no wait, it was amazing. At home in Mass, if we didn't get there before 4:30 then you might as well wait until 7:30 otherwise you'd have to sit around and wait for a while.

Anyway back to the story. We drove from Sutton Ma on June 28th and hit the big rain storm all the way from PA to VA, 5 hours of pouring rain. We only averaged about 50 during the rain so the normal 15 hour drive took us about 17 hours. Long and tiring for sure, but we made it here, found our keys in the mailbox and ventured in.

We watched from long distance as our house was being built and our realtor and friends took pictures for us as things progressed. It was so difficult to not be here an watch our house being built but it was also thrilling to have to wait to get here and see it for ourselves. It was such a huge move for us anyway, selling in Mass and then moving here away from our family and friends, that it made the drama even more intense.

We finally got here about midnight, had nothing to sleep on but air mattresses and all of our clothes was packed in a few suitcases. Walked in the house , luggage hit the wall and left a big black mark, the first of many.
I'm not complaining, but the builders use the cheapest flat wall paint possible and if you look at it funny it'll leave a stain. We figured we'd be painting sometime soon but it'll end up being sooner than I thought, I reckon, y'all.

Anyway, most of the houses around us are still being built and we only have one set of direct neighbors and they are very nice. Brought us over a plate of cookies fafter I fixed their wireless internet connection.

Not trying to be dull here but we have a small postage stamp kind of lot. What we always dreamed of. Our kids hooked up with neighborhood kids within a few days and now they are ringing our doorbell for the kids to come out and play, it's awesome. Within 3 miles of our house there is every store imaginable.

I know my dream of a small postage stamp lot, with flowers, spinning Elvis and buried Madonna statue bathtub are not the same as everyone else's but so far we absolutely love it here. It's hot but it feels nice. I guess eventually the heat will get worse but for now it good and manageable. A/C is a good thing

We had a fence installed today for the doggies so they can't chase the Brazilian workers(don't get me started on them) but it came out awesome and we're so happy as since we've never had a fence before. The same fence in Mass would have been triple the price.

So far it's a totally different lifestyle that takes some time to get used to. Prime example is that I usually never drink on a school night but tonight I've had a few beers because it feels like we are on vacation with the heat and all, had some cool thunderstorms too...

Mark
Congrats to you and your family!!!!
I have been wondering how it all went
We are also settled in,been here a month now and are loving it!!!
Last night we went and listenend to the band at Birkdale, sat outside there and had a cocktail at the restaurant close to the park.This we could never do in the area we were living in Calif.
We do miss our network of friends alot, but the tradeoff will still be woth it.
We are just now venturing out looking for jobs so hopefully that will happen sooner than later.
Got to get ready to go for a boat ride out on Lake Norman today. But are those Margaritas chilled yet!!!!!???????

Old 07-15-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc
Last night we went and listenend to the band at Birkdale, sat outside there and had a cocktail at the restaurant close to the park.This we could never do in the area we were living in Calif.
We are just now venturing out looking for jobs so hopefully that will happen sooner than later.
Got to get ready to go for a boat ride out on Lake Norman today. But are those Margaritas chilled yet!!!!!???????
Oh you are my kind of people. I can't wait to do that. We are going to buy a boat when we get there.

Old 07-15-2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
Oh you are my kind of people. I can't wait to do that. We are going to buy a boat when we get there.
Well, i dont have a boat yet
I have a relative here that has one
But we just listed our new 2006 travel trailer for sale here so hopefully it will sell soon to buy one!!!!
We cannot wait either!!!

Old 07-15-2006, 05:44 PM

You guys in Huntersville, Mooresville and Davidson are suppose to be getting a bad storm right about now.

Can someone report back and tell me how bad it was? You all know I'm a weather weirdo so just bare with me.

We are having one here in Az, I better get off the computer. Big thunder out there and rain.

Old 07-15-2006, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
You guys in Huntersville, Mooresville and Davidson are suppose to be getting a bad storm right about now.

Can someone report back and tell me how bad it was? You all know I'm a weather weirdo so just bare with me.

We are having one here in Az, I better get off the computer. Big thunder out there and rain.
Not that bad in Mooresville. Around 7ish- it started with some thunder, lightning and rain.It's over now(9:45 pm.)

Old 07-15-2006, 07:49 PM

170 posts, read 566,435 times
Oh good! Boy, I need to check out Mooresville. It seems like the north of Charlotte might do a little better storm wise than south. (As in over the border). I wonder if there's any truth to that. My mom just asked me "Did you check out the tornado stats in NC? I think she's as scared as I am. (She went through the Tenn. tornadoes with me).

Old 07-15-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2boys
Oh good! Boy, I need to check out Mooresville. It seems like the north of Charlotte might do a little better storm wise than south. (As in over the border). I wonder if there's any truth to that. My mom just asked me "Did you check out the tornado stats in NC? I think she's as scared as I am. (She went through the Tenn. tornadoes with me).
That's what I said according to the stats it looks like it.

It's funny when we were in NC my husband kept asking everyone about the weather up there. Not for him but for me. He asked all of our waiters that have been up in that area for a number of years anyone we struck up a conversation with. They all said it's pretty mild compared to the south. I'm not saying I know anything for sure but according to the tornado stats and the people that live there it seems that way.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Not that bad in Mooresville. Around 7ish- it started with some thunder, lightning and rain.It's over now(9:45 pm.)
2 hours and 45 minute storm?

Old 07-16-2006, 06:34 AM

543 posts, read 1,825,409 times
Quote:
All ready to go. I always wanted to get one of those margarita machines but figured I'd end up a drunk weighing 400 lbs so decided that or a soft serve machine would not be in our best interest. Blender still works great though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte