Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 03:28 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,873,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post

That isn't to say that there aren't some intelligent people without bachelor's degrees.
I think his point was that there are plenty of people dumber than a sack of rubbers
that have college degrees. A college degree is not a guarantee of intelligence nor common sense. Using the attainment of a college degree to judge a person's character is quite shallow, even a little strange. It does, however, give a slight glimpse into the mindset of the one making the correlation.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:30 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Why don't you just come out and share, what dog you have in this hunt....you sure are angry about this.

"More and more I feel that the people of ill will have used time much more effectively than have the people of good will. We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people." Letter from Birmingham Jail, MLK, 1963

Quote:
I didn't choose to be straight, I was born this way.
Bingo. Then why can't you accept that people are born gay.

Quote:
You are so consumed and angry over this, I seriously pray that you can move
on from this, it appears to be consuming you.
Save your condescending prayers, please.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-14-2012 at 04:14 PM..

Old 05-14-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
I think his point was that there are plenty of people dumber than a sack of rubbers
that have college degrees. A college degree is not a guarantee of intelligence nor common sense. Using the attainment of a college degree to judge a person's character is quite shallow, even a little strange. It does, however, give a slight glimpse into the mindset of the one making the correlation.
Educated people advance our species. The more one understands about the world, the more one can empathize with those different from them. This is certainly character building. Character and intelligence often go hand in hand. Often they do not (witness the Wall Street debacle). I don't necessarily think someone without a degree can't have good character, but he or she is certainly more prone to xenophobia and superstition

There are certainly people of average intelligence with college degrees these days. But, no one "dumber than a sack of rubbers" can graduate from college.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:39 PM

You could not have done a better job of proving my point.

I beg to differ on your last statement. I know of a city full of college graduates who are dumber than a sack of rubbers. It's called Washington, DC.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
You could not have done a better job of proving my point.
There is nothing shallow about putting more trust in informed and educated people with decisions that affect society as a whole.

What would your alternate criteria be?

Furthermore, I was not initially judging character based on education. I was pointing out that those will less education, on average, were more likely to vote for this destructive amendment than those with more education. From that concrete example, we see that people with more education, on average, in this instance have acted with superior character than those with less education.

Logic.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:45 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:

"More and more I feel that the people of ill will have used time much more effectively than have the people of good will. We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people." Letter from Birmingham Jail, MLK, 1963

Bingo. Then why can't you accept that people are born gay.

Save your condescending prayers, please.

Learn your history. Either learn God's word or don't try to "use" it.

Your continual posting on this topic and degrading anyone who is in opposition of you constitutes trolling. Today is the first time, I posted on this thread.

People are NOT born gay. People are born straight, with the choice if choosing to sin. Read my first post in this thread.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-14-2012 at 04:13 PM..

Old 05-14-2012, 03:47 PM

Superior character is subjective.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I beg to differ on your last statement. I know of a city full of college graduates who are dumber than a sack of rubbers. It's called Washington, DC.
Oh that's awful original. I'm sure you could step right into the role of a pentagon adviser or a think tank economist and just blow them out of the water.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Learn your history. Either learn God's word or don't try to "use" it.
Please tell me the history I'm not understanding.

People are NOT born gay. People are born straight, with the choice if choosing to sin. Read my first post in this thread.[/quote]

You really believe that people choose to be treated the way they are by "Christians" like you for any other reason than they were born that way?

Last edited by coped; 05-14-2012 at 04:34 PM..

Old 05-14-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Oh that's awful original. I'm sure you could step right into the role of a pentagon adviser or a think tank economist and just blow them out of the water.

I hope you don't believe that anything you have said in the recent thread is anywhere near "original". Apparently you have no sense of humor, or any desire to share a chuckle with anyone that is not in your little shallow world. I am neutral on the subject of gay marriage, and use these threads as a tool to help me to form an opinion. The blatant overtones of condescension and self righteousness in your posts hopefully do not represent the mindset of the majority of the people on your side of the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte