Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 12:07 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
It's a good way to know that it is done.
Excellent point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
I just don't want to spend money on bone when I need at least 40 lbs of cooked meat to feed people.
Sorry, that's just the way it is. You're talking about a cut of meat that is $1.50 a pound at the lower end, so there really isn't anything less expensive to choose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
If your are smoking a butt or a shoulder, it aint done till the bone can be pulled out without any meat on it at all. Think 10-12 hours. I use my verticle smoker for 4-5 hours or until 10 lbs of charcoal is done, then roast it covered for the balance of the time at 275. If you spend less time cooking these cuts they will be greasy and tough. You need to render all the connective tissue and most of the fat out of the meat. Make sure you baste it with dilluted apple juice about once an hour. I puree an apple then add sugar and lots of water. Seems to work well.
Low and slow is the way to go. Yeah, I made that up.

I realized that besides the bone being easy to pull out, you should be able to grab a big hunk of the meat that's close to the bone and basically crush it apart with little effort, when it's done. I also take off much of the fat cap but leave enough to blacken and get crispy with the rub.

I've done the apple juice baste as well, and I mix a little in with the meat when it dries out while serving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 01:28 PM

539 posts, read 1,498,030 times
I like spraying it down with apple cider vinegar.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:22 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,790 times
When I was in college, I participated in a very scientific study of which cut of pork yields the best when preparing pork BBQ. The Butt won hands down.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:27 PM

441 posts, read 1,487,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Interesting thought on putting the butt on the grill with some chips. At the least you might end up with better bark than the crock pot will allow. Lemme know how that turns out.
Not how I had hoped. The meat did not pick up enough of the smoke flavor. I haven't given up yet, but looks like we're back to liquid smoke for the indoor BBQ

Old 06-22-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCproud View Post
Not how I had hoped. The meat did not pick up enough of the smoke flavor. I haven't given up yet, but looks like we're back to liquid smoke for the indoor BBQ
Chips may not put out enough smoke to really penetrate and flavor the meat.

Where do people buy their hardwood charcoal and wood chips? It's time to break in the new Hondo.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:21 PM

If I'm going to use my big cooker, their is a place on the old portion of 521 just to the north of Providence Road West that sells American Indian jewelry and firewood. I can get anyone the name and address if interested.
As for chips and hardwood lump charcoal I just run down to Lowes. You'll find it in the grilling accessory section.

I have found a new method for smoking since then that I will try next time. it works great for salmon!

Attached Thumbnails
Cheap Pork Butt?-photo-1.jpg   Cheap Pork Butt?-photo-2.jpg  

Old 06-23-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCproud View Post
If I'm going to use my big cooker, their is a place on the old portion of 521 just to the north of Providence Road West that sells American Indian jewelry and firewood. I can get anyone the name and address if interested.
As for chips and hardwood lump charcoal I just run down to Lowes. You'll find it in the grilling accessory section.

I have found a new method for smoking since then that I will try next time. it works great for salmon!

[IMG]http://[IMG]http://www.city-data.com/forum/
I know where that place is.

Now I want salmon for dinner!

Old 06-23-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Now I want salmon for dinner!
Common over, throwing an extra piece on the grill tonight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte