U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2012, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,639,458 times
Reputation: 3689

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
yeah... it's a shame what people will spend money on to feel good about themselves. Nothing wrong with the finer things in life if you can afford them but too many times it's the poor or average joe overspending to feed their esteem.

I have a friend and his girlfriend is all about luxury items and convinced him to buy a Lexus. He keeps telling me I need a new car but my Chrysler 2000 is paid off and runs just fine. Don't get me wrong, his car is nice but the payments and gas are insane.
Felt, to me your argument is apples and grapefruits.

One can be frugal, but also can respect dress codes and don't go into an establishment dressed like a slob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2012, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,717 posts, read 9,343,453 times
Reputation: 5229
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Felt, to me your argument is apples and grapefruits.

One can be frugal, but also can respect dress codes and don't go into an establishment dressed like a slob.
True.. but the argument you quoted was directed to ChicagoCubs post...

but in my opinion a restaurant that lets a slob in doesn't really have a dress code so how mad can you be at the slob?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,639,458 times
Reputation: 3689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
but in my opinion a restaurant that lets a slob in doesn't really have a dress code so how mad can you be at the slob?
That's fair....I know they don't want to "lose" business, but when you let anyone I guess they don't see the big picture...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 01:59 PM
 
1,259 posts, read 1,263,787 times
Reputation: 1077
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
That's fair....I know they don't want to "lose" business, but when you let anyone I guess they don't see the big picture...
The big picture is that your not going to lose business based on how someone is dressed. If someone stays home because, we aren't enforcing a 50's style dress code then so be it. When a guest says something to me about how others are dressed I just chuckle to myself. We have bigger problems to worry about than if someone is dressed business casual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 02:01 PM
 
2,603 posts, read 4,269,878 times
Reputation: 1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
That's fair....I know they don't want to "lose" business, but when you let anyone I guess they don't see the big picture...
Who would you want to keep out exactly?

I think the big picture is that most people want to be able to enjoy nice meals in comfort. Eating out is a much more common thing today than it was in the past. It's just not a big deal that you would get dressed up for. I'm sure some really nice restaurants would continue to do well with dress codes, but for the most part a dress code would drive away business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 02:09 PM
 
2,603 posts, read 4,269,878 times
Reputation: 1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
lol. Dressing appropriately has nothing to do with pretention. It has to do with decorum and good grooming. And for some, personal style.

pretention is when someone is trying to convey something they aren't, i.e. carrying a recognizable label handbag they cannot afford, hoping that will convince others they have money.
Personal style is personal. And looking down your nose at someone because he does not share your personal style isn't very decorous. To me, manners are far more important than some lose definition of "decorum." Much rather a person in "sloppy dress" who is respectful of the wait staff, polite to his tablemates, and a generous tipper, than a "well-dressed" person who snarks about the clothes of people at other tables.

"Pretension - A claim to something, such as a privilege or right." The claim here is that someone with a dressier sense of style should expect that from everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Being casual but appropriate isn't stuffy nor is it uncomfortable. Sloppy is not attractive in any setting.
Again, these are matters of personal taste. Who decides what is appropriate? And many people don't care to be attractive. They just want to be comfortable and enjoy their meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
no one is trying to separate people into classes by requesting nice attire. If a person can afford to eat in any given restaurant, then who cares whether they are blue collar, white collar, Trustafarians or retired? No one.
Clothes are a shorthand for class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
In the workplace, dressing appropriately depends on the nature of your job.

Pretentious or snobbish folks are no less pretentious or snobbish when naked, I have noticed.

.
I might have to do some field work on this last theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,717 posts, read 9,343,453 times
Reputation: 5229
Coped makes a good point...

I bet the wait staff loves the slobs who tip well more than well dressed stiffs who act like the wait staff are their personal slaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 04:36 PM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,941,444 times
Reputation: 1272
Go to any other first world country (except for maybe Canada) and when you return the first thing you notice as soon as you step off the plane is that Americans are fat and slobs. We have dress codes now because they are needed. Years ago there were no such thing as dress codes because everyone's mother taught them how to dress properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 04:58 PM
 
2,603 posts, read 4,269,878 times
Reputation: 1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Go to any other first world country (except for maybe Canada) and when you return the first thing you notice as soon as you step off the plane is that Americans are fat and slobs. We have dress codes now because they are needed. Years ago there were no such thing as dress codes because everyone's mother taught them how to dress properly.
That's just not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 06:01 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Personal style is personal. And looking down your nose at someone because he does not share your personal style isn't very decorous. To me, manners are far more important than some lose definition of "decorum." Much rather a person in "sloppy dress" who is respectful of the wait staff, polite to his tablemates, and a generous tipper, than a "well-dressed" person who snarks about the clothes of people at other tables.

"Pretension - A claim to something, such as a privilege or right." The claim here is that someone with a dressier sense of style should expect that from everyone else.

Again, these are matters of personal taste. Who decides what is appropriate? And many people don't care to be attractive. They just want to be comfortable and enjoy their meal.

Clothes are a shorthand for class.

I might have to do some field work on this last theory.
COPED, you are the only person I know who can make a class war out of a dress code. Such a Bolshevik.

Let me know what you think once you have completed your field work, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:45 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top