Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 06:03 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Personal style is personal. And looking down your nose at someone because he does not share your personal style isn't very decorous. To me, manners are far more important than some lose definition of "decorum." Much rather a person in "sloppy dress" who is respectful of the wait staff, polite to his tablemates, and a generous tipper, than a "well-dressed" person who snarks about the clothes of people at other tables.

"Pretension - A claim to something, such as a privilege or right." The claim here is that someone with a dressier sense of style should expect that from everyone else.

Again, these are matters of personal taste. Who decides what is appropriate? And many people don't care to be attractive. They just want to be comfortable and enjoy their meal.

Clothes are a shorthand for class.

I might have to do some field work on this last theory.
COPED, you are the only person I know who can make a class war out of a dress code. So Bolshevik.
Let me know what you think once you have completed your field work, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 06:10 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If a person can afford to eat in any given restaurant, then who cares whether they are blue collar, white collar, Trustafarians or retired? No one.
But if they can afford to eat there, then who cares what they wear (as long as they are covered up)?

Old 06-19-2012, 06:16 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Coped makes a good point...

I bet the wait staff loves the slobs who tip well more than well dressed stiffs who act like the wait staff are their personal slaves.
Great point Felt. I remember waiting on this old slob one time, and then he put out a personal black AMEX to pay. I was like: Nothing worse than getting a table full of suits that don't spend money.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
But if they can afford to eat there, then who cares what they wear (as long as they are covered up)?
Who cares? Obviously, the restaurants that have a dress code care and so do the patrons who go to an upscale restaurant to have a "special night out."

If you don't care about having a special night out, dressing up for your spouse/significant other, then I guess you wouldn't understand. Not putting you down, GoPhils. I guess the same things are not important to all people and this is just one of those things.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:32 PM

How did a discussion about dress codes in restaurants morph into people not leaving tips? <scratches head>

Old 06-19-2012, 06:35 PM

No one is stopping you from dressing up if you want to have a special night out. The fact that someone else is not dressed as nicely as you shouldn't make it any less special.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:40 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,041,759 times
Quote:
No one is stopping you from dressing up if you want to have a special night out. The fact that someone else is not dressed as nicely as you shouldn't make it any less special.
Exactly! Another way to obsess about what others are doing (quite independently of you) that somehow seems to affect you!?

Old 06-19-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:

We are discussing restaurants that have a dress code and folks who aren't sticking to it.

We are talking sloppy vs. NICE, not NICE vs. DESIGNER or FORMAL. In this case, it was supposed to be Business Casual.

You wouldn't put on a pair of khakis and a long sleeve shirt to take a date out to the Palm or Morton's? Your date wouldn't care if you showed up in a T shirt w/ a band name emblazoned on it - and a pair of jeans?

If you were going to a bar or a chain restaurant, I would think the T shirt and Jeans/shorts would be fine. But we are not talking about those places cause they do not have a dress code.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:55 PM

I go out for the occasional nice meal and try to dress nicely, and if the restaurant had a dress code, I would try to follow it. But I don't worry about what others are wearing.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I go out for the occasional nice meal and try to dress nicely, and if the restaurant had a dress code, I would try to follow it. But I don't worry about what others are wearing.
I don't worry about it, either.

I do feel it takes away from the decorum of the environment, tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte