Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 12:53 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrm View Post
That's the liberalism that I'm talking about. History has proven time and time again that this philosophy doesn't work. Republican or Democrat, it doesn't matter. Both can be liberals. Bush and Obama both tried it, and both failed. And I agree with the OP, even if it did work, how does building a park help to retain or create jobs? It doesn't. It's just part of the liberal tax and spend ideology, and that's why the city/county/state/country are broke.

And BTW, just because something is "not new" doesn't make it right.
Concerts, vendors, festivals, movies in the park... all these things generate revenue.

Can you write a post without using the word liberalism or do you have to meet a quota?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 01:11 PM

527 posts, read 919,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
CMS teachers are not a city expense, nor are CMPD officers. I heard all about the Depression from my parents & grandparents. They lived it.
CMS teachers get paid by city as well.. (state pays as well ) Pleas read
How is CMS funded?

If I am not mistaken city pays for cmpd as well. I read a report from 2001 which said cmpd operation took nearly 14% of city budget.

Our unemployment in Charlotte went up this last month to 9.6% ...Unemployment rate jumps in Charlotte region - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC.... I hope they give construction jobs at the park for those who lost their jobs... Otherwise its a pity..

Why not build food court there...lots of jobs , stimulation of economy... When Charlotte gets back to a better economy,demolish food court and build a bigger park...

Old 06-23-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Concerts, vendors, festivals, movies in the park... all these things generate revenue.

Can you write a post without using the word liberalism or do you have to meet a quota?
Have you seen the design of park? It's puny 5 acres park.. It held 200 cars when it was parking lot..

It cannot hold vendors or concerts or festivals or movies....

It's for people to eat lunch and sleep... And squatters during night time... Please visit the site and then post...

Old 06-23-2012, 01:16 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
Can parks revive decaying U.S. cities? | SmartPlanet

Read comments from readers there... Almost a similar thinking from yes and no camp...

Read comments from Detroit and Cleveland folks
Charlotte isn't decaying. Not applicable.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:21 PM

75 posts, read 167,299 times
The fewer surface lots, the better. I liked this park idea before, but now that I know they got rid of a parking lot to build it, my support for it has increased tenfold. Great to know that our city will have one more quality green space.
Quote:
How is CMS funded?
The word "city" did not appear even once on that webpage.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
Charlotte isn't decaying. Not applicable.
Ok...have you driven around in Charlotte? I am not saying that it is like Detroit or Cleveland.. But it ain't exactly Singapore either..

Charlotte is not just Duke building to Bofa building.. It much larger...

We are missing the point and the discussion is going into "American political" discussion direction... No head and tail..just rhetorical questions and answers...

I hope this topic was entertaining and mind tickling..

Old 06-23-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suqraat View Post
The fewer surface lots, the better. I liked this park idea before, but now that I know they got rid of a parking lot to build it, my support for it has increased tenfold. Great to know that our city will have one more quality green space.
You are missing the point... It's not a question about green space or black or brown space....

It's about a broke (financially) city that can not afford to build a park paying $12 million it does not have...it's simple logic...

No wonder this country is struggling with 15 trillion dollar debt... Small things are killing us...

Old 06-23-2012, 01:44 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
How is CMS funded?

If I am not mistaken city pays for cmpd as well. I read a report from 2001 which said cmpd operation took nearly 14% of city budget.

Our unemployment in Charlotte went up this last month to 9.6% ...Unemployment rate jumps in Charlotte region - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC.... I hope they give construction jobs at the park for those who lost their jobs... Otherwise its a pity..

Why not build food court there...lots of jobs , stimulation of economy... When Charlotte gets back to a better economy,demolish food court and build a bigger park...
CMS & CMPD are county-wide. The city pays their share. It's not difficult to understand that. The unemployment rate is up because people who had fallen off the rolls are coming back on. It's a good thing. Paying to build the park comes from a totally different part of the budget. Building an outdoor food court would be as bad for adjacent property values as building a flea market.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Building an outdoor food court would be as bad for adjacent property values as building a flea market.

Why would it hurt? Dont just rattle stuff in random, provide backing and stats. I did not suggest flea market. That would hurt.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:01 PM

159 posts, read 335,042 times
The Park and Recreation Department falls within Mecklenburg County, not the city. Please stop referring this park as if it's a city responsibility and also it's the will of the people who voted for the bond to fund this park back in 2005. Within that bond package, the funds is limited to only park building and the bond has been issued years ago. Do you want Mecklenburg County to renege on its fiduciary duties to those who voted on this bond back in 2005?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte