Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 02:26 PM

527 posts, read 919,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelle704 View Post
The Park and Recreation Department falls within Mecklenburg County, not the city. Please stop referring this park as if it's a city responsibility and also it's the will of the people who voted for the bond to fund this park back in 2005. Within that bond package, the funds is limited to only park building and the bond has been issued years ago. Do you want Mecklenburg County to renege on its fiduciary duties to those who voted on this bond back in 2005?
Ok .. I am sorry... I take out city and replace it with county.. ( disclaimer : city and county budgets are absolutely linked)

Unfortunately .... County is even broker than city budget.... All the more reason to scuttle the project..
Background - Support Romare Bearden Park!

Please read the above... They allotted funds from the budget of 2012.. Not 2000 or 2004 or 2005 or funds raised from bonds... I am assuming bond holders got paid long time back... ( the original intent of bond vs what is happening now is totally different)

Also read this part Recently the Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners has agreed to amend a deal with R.B.C. Corp., a subsidiary of Wells Fargo. The new deal gives R.B.C. Corp the right to repurchase part of the park land in October, 2012 if demolition and grading on the park site is not "substantially completed."
The lot would have been used for commercial purpose..why squeeze in the park?

Next door they are building knights ball park..again part paid by county/city..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelle704 View Post
Do you want Mecklenburg County to renege on its fiduciary duties to those who voted on this bond back in 2005?

Also do you know how municipal bonds work? Public does not vote on them...except county officials .bonds get funded by purchasers who don't care if it's for park or street or yacht..

Old 06-23-2012, 02:38 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
Also do you know how municipal bonds work? Public does not vote on them...except county officials .bonds get funded by purchasers who don't care if it's for park or street or yacht..
you sure about that? I'm pretty sure I get to vote for/against bonds all the time. School bonds, Parks and Rec bonds, city projects bonds...

Old 06-23-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
you sure about that? I'm pretty sure I get to vote for/against bonds all the time. School bonds, Parks and Rec bonds, city projects bonds...
I may be wrong...or I am wrong

Old 06-23-2012, 03:06 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times
Quote:
I may be wrong...or I am wrong
hey, I'm just pleased to see someone get worked up about local government. Who cares if you're wrong. But I DO hope you follow up on your concerns, learn about the process and VOTE for responsible representation and initiatives. We need people who actually care, instead of folks who just sit back and let things happen.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:16 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
You have to understand what a business is, how it operates, etc. to figure out why this park would work. A developer landscapes and cuts down trees from wooded areas and makes big fancy gates and park so people will pay more and want to move into the development.

Look up investment in the dictionary

Old 06-23-2012, 03:25 PM

42 posts, read 63,474 times
Having a park will be wonderful, I just wish they would provide a place for the Brevard court business to put their garbage cans off the sidewalk in the plans.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:29 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Have you seen the design of park? It's puny 5 acres park.. It held 200 cars when it was parking lot..

It cannot hold vendors or concerts or festivals or movies....

It's for people to eat lunch and sleep... And squatters during night time... Please visit the site and then post...
How many acres does the Taste cover? I don't think its 5 acres... most vendors tents are 10x10 feet.

You want an outdoor food court but think its impossible to vend in the same amount of space? You don't need a large park to hold a festival or concerts... I'm pretty sure the Taste, Speed Street and other festivals will also incorporate the park into their plans..

This park can and will hold whatever they want in it....no disrespect intended but you sound like a guy who has never been to an event in a park.

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 06-23-2012 at 03:44 PM..

Old 06-23-2012, 05:43 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Have you seen the design of park? It's puny 5 acres park.. It held 200 cars when it was parking lot..

It cannot hold vendors or concerts or festivals or movies....
Yes it can. You are absolutely wrong on this point.

Quote:
It's for people to eat lunch and sleep... And squatters during night time... Please visit the site and then post...
More than likely, the park will be closed at night. And yes, lots of people eat lunch in urban parks; that's part of the appeal.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:10 PM

373 posts, read 778,568 times
Forget the park.
We need another outer loop.
For bicycles only and just around 3rd Ward.
It will cost $89 million and be completed in a typical NCDOT time frame.
So.......by 3013 it should be finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte