Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 03:12 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,006,260 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations for the best place to get a GREAT deal on a pork butt? I'm going to need about 40 pounds and so a lower price will make a big difference. I know Harris Teeter has it on sale right now for $1.49/lb. Any place I could get down to a $1.00?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 03:38 PM

441 posts, read 1,488,179 times
If its BBQ you need it for, look into costco. They are shoulders, and come two in a pack. I prefer them over butts. I was there today but didn't get the price.

Happy cooking and send me a PM when it's done

Old 05-27-2012, 04:27 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,236,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCproud View Post
If its BBQ you need it for, look into costco. They are shoulders, and come two in a pack. I prefer them over butts. I was there today but didn't get the price.

Happy cooking and send me a PM when it's done
Why do you prefer shoulders?

Old 05-27-2012, 04:41 PM

I do both but seems like there is less waste with shoulders. But thinking about it, it probably has a lot to do with Costco and the multi packs. Not to mention they will typically have large quantities at any given time.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I do both but seems like there is less waste with shoulders. But thinking about it, it probably has a lot to do with Costco and the multi packs. Not to mention they will typically have large quantities at any given time.
That was a bit of a trick question. The butt is part of the shoulder. The other part of a shoulder is the picnic (ham). You can buy them together or split apart. The butt, which is the upper part of the shoulder, is the traditional choice for what becomes pulled pork.

I haven't used my new offset smoker yet, so cheap good butts are of interest to me as well.

Wait a minute, that didn't sound right...

Last edited by vmaxnc; 05-27-2012 at 04:55 PM..

Old 05-27-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
That was a bit of a trick question. The butt is part of the shoulder. The other part of a shoulder is the picnic (ham). You can buy them together or split apart. The butt, which is the upper part of the shoulder, is the traditional choice for what becomes pulled pork.

I haven't used my new offset smoker yet, so cheap good butts are of interest to me as well.

Wait a minute, that didn't sound right...
I got a good chuckle from that!

Good to know. Only knew the butt had the bone. My cooker is a vertical, offset burn box. I just don't get to use it as much as I use too. I have to work tomorrow, so the wife picked up a butt for the crock pot today at HT. Not the same, but it works. Thought about pulling it apart and putting it on the gas grill with some wood chips when I get home. Mix it around a few times and try to get the smoke flavor in it.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:53 PM

689 posts, read 1,657,729 times
HT has butts on sale for .99/lb frequently in the summer.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I got a good chuckle from that!

Good to know. Only knew the butt had the bone. My cooker is a vertical, offset burn box. I just don't get to use it as much as I use too. I have to work tomorrow, so the wife picked up a butt for the crock pot today at HT. Not the same, but it works. Thought about pulling it apart and putting it on the gas grill with some wood chips when I get home. Mix it around a few times and try to get the smoke flavor in it.
I wanted something that I could grill and smoke on. I may graduate to a vertical smoker one day. They seem less labor intensive and more efficient than an offset barrel like I have (modified Hondo smoker).

Interesting thought on putting the butt on the grill with some chips. At the least you might end up with better bark than the crock pot will allow. Lemme know how that turns out.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:25 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,004 times
Some may say it's blasphemy, and I thought it was a bit of a gimmick at first, but look into a Traeger. I absolutely love my Lil Texas. If you can breathe, you can make good food with one. And beat of all, no agreeing g with coals or wood trying to keep a consistent temperature. Turn the dial and come back in 12 hours or so.

And Sam's Club has good butts. I get mine there.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:20 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,006,260 times
Butts have bones? Now I'm confused... I didn't think the butt had a bone in it. Ok so if I want to make a boatload of pulled pork for a party of around 60 people in July what cut of meat should I look for? Definitely do NOT want a cut of meat with a bone in it. Thank for all the good info BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte