Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 02:36 PM

34 posts, read 124,637 times

Advertisements

This is a great article about the Charlotte real estate market.

Bloomberg.com: News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 06:54 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,731,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaYaChick View Post
This is a great article about the Charlotte real estate market.

Bloomberg.com: News
Yes, you can still find some great value in Charlotte and surrounding towns, but the area is still by far a buyers market. Median sales prices really don't mean much because more "expensive" new homes are being sold, which skews the numbers. The real indicator of how a market is doing is inventory and number of units sold. Inventory is sky high and rising, while number of units sold is down 11% YOY.

Also, what's going on around the northeast, west and midwest affects Charlotte. Many, many people cannot sell their homes from around the country which results in most cases of people carrying two mortgages or not closing at all. The market will not show signs of improvement until long term trends start reversing. Also, the credit/mortgage crunch to find qualified buyers is making things 100x harder also.

Attached is the data from August of '07 compared YOY to '06.

http://www.ncrealtors.org/uploads/Aug07.pdf

Old 10-04-2007, 08:15 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,081,183 times
I currently hold a RE license with a firm here in Richmond, and will be moving back to Charlotte in the next 6 months. Although I have only been in Real Estate for about 8 months, things have been well for me here, but its time to get out of RIC. Condos are the BIG thing here in Richmond, and was wondering if there is much "urbanized" living moving into the center city? If there is, one can only imagine the costs. Perhaps working for a builder would be a good place to start out there? I believe it is a salaried position, but would need to do my due diligence on this matter. Charlotte is such a nice place to live, and I really think being an agent there would be awesome! Thanks in advance for any help from you RE tycoons out there.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:05 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,602,495 times
Hmm...interesting theory; however, Charlotte is a balanced market.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:29 AM

755 posts, read 2,493,972 times
I hope this is true, but my home's been on the market for a month and no action. Our realtor told us that the average listing time is 90 days in Charlotte. Of course it doesn't help that someone one street over has listed their home about $15-20k below market value. Grrrrr

Old 10-05-2007, 05:44 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,731,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
I hope this is true, but my home's been on the market for a month and no action. Our realtor told us that the average listing time is 90 days in Charlotte. Of course it doesn't help that someone one street over has listed their home about $15-20k below market value. Grrrrr
Well, in today's market you need to stand out whether its staging your home extremely well or being ahead of the price downturn. (especially since the market here is getting worse). They have the right idea to get traffic in the door.

gl

Old 10-05-2007, 08:58 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,431,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
It depends on how fast you want to sell it. With the current market, you have to do things like this.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:10 PM

27 posts, read 72,390 times
I hope new home builders don't get too far ahead of themselves or Charlotte is going to end up with way too much inventory.

Charlotte nationally has almost become the "new place to move to", but I don't believe that the jobs can be created fast enough. As mentioned before, it's getting much tougher for those that want to relocate to either find the right job or sell their home.

The newer communities are going to take the biggest hit in the next few years and if I had to bet, those who bought within the last 24mo are going to see neighbors purchase at a 15%-25% discount in the next 24mo

Old 10-05-2007, 03:31 PM

241 posts, read 756,029 times
I have always been optimistic about the RE market in this area. The condition of the market gives me confidence about the future. I am sure it will have its ups and downs. My strong belief is that the happy times will surely outweight the challenges. I really believe my wife and I bought at a great time, and the value of our home continues to appreciate at a decent clip.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:40 PM

755 posts, read 2,493,972 times
Do y'all think that zillow reflects the true market value?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: