Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 12:35 PM

29 posts, read 58,007 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate there. My wife accepted a job at Gaston Memorial Hospital in Gastona. We have an apartment in Lake Wylie, SC. I am looking to relocate out there as soon as I can. I just can't fathom giving up a $52k a year job here in Iowa to make $27k doing the same thing! It's ridiculous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 12:37 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbronemann View Post
I am looking to relocate there. My wife accepted a job at Gaston Memorial Hospital in Gastona. We have an apartment in Lake Wylie, SC. I am looking to relocate out there as soon as I can. I just can't fathom giving up a $52k a year job here in Iowa to make $27k doing the same thing! It's ridiculous
Well, if being with your beloved wife and quality of life are not as important to you as that $52,000 a year I guess I could see your problem.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:41 PM

No, if I could be out there tomorrow I would be! I am willing to take a $10-$20k a year pay cut to be with her as we are looking long-term out there. However, I have applied at about 20 different places, mostly law enforcement type jobs, and I get the typical, you are not qualified or don't meet our needs. I have heard that a lot of places out in the Carolina's almost discriminate against people that do not live in the area or are not from the area.....don't know if there is any truth to that but it seems it sure is! I've had one test and one interview at same police department. It's very frustrating

Old 08-25-2012, 12:43 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
Quote:
and, that is exactly the reason that many people are considering moving back up north.

Not to mention the fact that Iowa City is now known as a place where the job market has improved greatly. I hope that you can make the right decision for your family.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:49 PM

Ya, our unemployment in Iowas is 5.3%, went up for the first time in like 3 years this month. But my wife will be making a lot more money than myself and there is a lot of family drama on her side with her parents farm, so she wanted to get away from all that. And we both have family in North Carolina. So we'll see what happens. Unfortunately I will probably not find a job anytime soon, so I am going to most likely enroll in school full-time starting in january to hopefully raise my prospects of getting a better paying job.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:16 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Ya, our unemployment in Iowas is 5.3%, went up for the first time in like 3 years this month. But my wife will be making a lot more money than myself and there is a lot of family drama on her side with her parents farm, so she wanted to get away from all that. And we both have family in North Carolina. So we'll see what happens. Unfortunately I will probably not find a job anytime soon, so I am going to most likely enroll in school full-time starting in january to hopefully raise my prospects of getting a better paying job.
I suggested that you rent in Kings Mountain or right in Gastonia. Kings Mountain was looking for an officer. Kings Mountain would have made you commuteable to Spartanburg, SC, which has a better economy right now. You made your choice to go with Lake Wylie, which gives you fewer choices. There are plenty of places in this country that would pay lower wages than what you are making for your job.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:50 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I suggested that you rent in Kings Mountain or right in Gastonia. Kings Mountain was looking for an officer. Kings Mountain would have made you commuteable to Spartanburg, SC, which has a better economy right now. You made your choice to go with Lake Wylie, which gives you fewer choices. There are plenty of places in this country that would pay lower wages than what you are making for your job.
Not only that (plenty of places where one makes lower wages) . . . it so happens that LE, at the PD level as well as Sheriff's departments, have hired folks from out of state left and right. We have a LOT of police (and fire fighters) who moved to NC after 9/11. Some of them took retirement and then started a career here. Some simply wanted to get their families out, so came on down (even tho I am sure this had to mean a big impact on pensions). So that is patent BS about not hiring folks outside the region in LE here, especially for PD. Maybe the wave came in the early 2000s and there simply are nothing but entry level low paying jobs now, but to say LE here are not originally from other places is simply UNTRUE.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Not only that (plenty of places where one makes lower wages) . . . it so happens that LE, at the PD level as well as Sheriff's departments, have hired folks from out of state left and right. We have a LOT of police (and fire fighters) who moved to NC after 9/11. Some of them took retirement and then started a career here. Some simply wanted to get their families out, so came on down (even tho I am sure this had to mean a big impact on pensions). So that is patent BS about not hiring folks outside the region in LE here, especially for PD. Maybe the wave came in the early 2000s and there simply are nothing but entry level low paying jobs now, but to say LE here are not originally from other places is simply UNTRUE.
Ani, that poster is a prison guard making more than he'd make in South Jersey. Kings Mountain had an opening that paid more than Gastonia for an officer. He chose to go with Lake Wylie, which is a much further drive for his wife, to get to Gaston Memorial & eliminates Hickory & Spartanburg as possible places for employment for himself.

In a tight job market, trendy should not win out. A central location opens the most options. People told him to take what he could get, get experience, & get the degree that would get the better paying jobs.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...nia-month.html

The same goes for the OP.She wants a job in either of 2 fields that are nearly impossible to get into. Look to Kannapolis, which would open up High Point. Look to Kings Mountain to open up Spartenburg. Either option would allow her to go to Charlotte for entertainment. When the economy is better, she could get something in Charlotte.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:08 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, that poster is a prison guard making more than he'd make in South Jersey. Kings Mountain had an opening that paid more than Gastonia for an officer. He chose to go with Lake Wylie, which is a much further drive for his wife, to get to Gaston Memorial & eliminates Hickory & Spartanburg as possible places for employment for himself.

In a tight job market, trendy should not win out. A central location opens the most options. People told him to take what he could get, get experience, & get the degree that would get the better paying jobs.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...nia-month.html

The same goes for the OP.She wants a job in either of 2 fields that are nearly impossible to get into. Look to Kannapolis, which would open up High Point. Look to Kings Mountain to open up Spartenburg. Either option would allow her to go to Charlotte for entertainment. When the economy is better, she could get something in Charlotte.
Excellent advice. Sometimes, getting where we want to be eventually involves a series of steps. Being flexible and open to possibilities - and willing to accept lower paying jobs - can lead to the final goal. Few things in life follow a direct path. That Yellow Brick Road can have lots of twists and turns, lol.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Excellent advice. Sometimes, getting where we want to be eventually involves a series of steps. Being flexible and open to possibilities - and willing to accept lower paying jobs - can lead to the final goal. Few things in life follow a direct path. That Yellow Brick Road can have lots of twists and turns, lol.
LOL, sometimes the yellow brick road has landmines, too.

As you know, I had work lined up before I moved & several layers of backup, too. In mid-move the economy collapsed & I positioned myself in Kings Mountain to give myself maximum flexibility. I've told more than one person to do the same, but if you want the trendy neighborhoods you forgo flexibility.

High Point & Spartanburg are smaller, but not as many people are pouring in. High Point has the furniture showrooms. Spartanburg & Greenville have a stonger economy, fueled by the BMW plant in Greer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte