Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 06:23 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times

Advertisements

Why does Charlotte want to build a hotel? Can't we invite an actual hotelier to come in and do it? The City needs to get out of business.

I skimmed that article and was surprised to see how many surpluses we have, and how many laws control them from being spent on things we could all benefit from. It would be like me not fixing the hole in my roof by using the money I'm saving to landscape the back yard.

Didn't I read that Concord Mills is the most popular tourist attraction in NC? I saw some discussion about malls being popular in this thread.

What would it take for us to have a government that isn't actively seeking ways to spend our money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 10:12 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Why does Charlotte want to build a hotel? Can't we invite an actual hotelier to come in and do it? The City needs to get out of business.

I skimmed that article and was surprised to see how many surpluses we have, and how many laws control them from being spent on things we could all benefit from. It would be like me not fixing the hole in my roof by using the money I'm saving to landscape the back yard.

Didn't I read that Concord Mills is the most popular tourist attraction in NC? I saw some discussion about malls being popular in this thread.

What would it take for us to have a government that isn't actively seeking ways to spend our money?
You have to elect folks who are fiscally responsible and who are on track with the goals of the populace they supposedly represent.

Of course, that takes two things: an interested, engaged, educated voting citizenry; and candidates who have the brain power to do the job and the willpower and dedication to represent the will of the people, all the while tempering that with sound fiscal judgment.

Now, I think it is possible to have the educated and engaged citizenry. Some of the candidates - dear begeebus. You just can't expect much out of some of the folks holding elected position in this town.

Talk about trying to make silk purses out of sow's ears . .. it ain't gonna happen.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:37 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:

It takes people willing to get out and vote. Nothing more than that. Charlotte is notoriously bad about re-electing the incumbents on the city council over and over.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:52 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:

That is what cities do.... They seek ways to spend money because that's what most people in a city want...

Move to Hendersonville or Goldsboro if you want the utopia of spending no money

Old 09-22-2012, 06:48 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,308 times
Quote:

You're not going to find many other cities of Charlotte's size that are going to be any different.
Concord Mills is NC's largest tourist attraction. But places like Carowinds, USNWC, the mountains, beaches, Wet 'N Wild, military, colleges also are going to bring in tourists.

It's the 17th largest city in the US, obviously they're going to spend money.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:53 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
QUESTION . Who paid the bill for all of the work they did to prepare for the DNC which wasnt used because of the fear of bad weather? Second question is HOW MUCH WAS SPENT? I don't think I will get an answer but figured I would at least try. When our tax dollars get wasted they try to keep it a non topic .

Old 09-22-2012, 09:04 PM

247 posts, read 378,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
QUESTION . Who paid the bill for all of the work they did to prepare for the DNC which wasnt used because of the fear of bad weather? Second question is HOW MUCH WAS SPENT? I don't think I will get an answer but figured I would at least try. When our tax dollars get wasted they try to keep it a non topic .
I don't think tax dollars paid for any part of the DNC, I think the fees related to the convention itself (and the imrovements to TWCA and the setup of BOA stadium) were borne by the host comittee.

The bills for security (our PD, out of town PD, FD, FBI, Secret Service, etc) were paid for through a grant.

I attached 2 articles that discuss the financial impact, but the true totals won't be known until the financial reports are filed in October.

Obama, DNC poised to lose funds on stadium cancellation - POLITICO.com

More than 1,000 out-of-state officers, nearly 500 security cameras on deck for DNC | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 09-22-2012, 09:25 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,500,510 times
I say no improvements needed
Attached Thumbnails
Improvements to BOA Stadium-img_1457.jpg  

Old 09-23-2012, 04:53 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie4417 View Post
I don't think tax dollars paid for any part of the DNC, I think the fees related to the convention itself (and the imrovements to TWCA and the setup of BOA stadium) were borne by the host comittee.
This would be an incorrect assumption. Chief Rodney Monroe got $50M from the dept. of Homeland Security to pay for all the riot gear, things such as bicycles, for the 4000 police on hand. Individual police departments paid tax dollars to send 2000 police to Charlotte. The DNC itself got $15M from the Presidential campaign fund.

All of the above came from the backs of the taxpayers.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:34 AM

247 posts, read 378,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
This would be an incorrect assumption. Chief Rodney Monroe got $50M from the dept. of Homeland Security to pay for all the riot gear, things such as bicycles, for the 4000 police on hand. Individual police departments paid tax dollars to send 2000 police to Charlotte. The DNC itself got $15M from the Presidential campaign fund.

All of the above came from the backs of the taxpayers.
Can you lead me to some articles that show this? I searched, because I didn't want to think that the money, especially the $50mm was money raiser through taxes. Likewise, I hoped that the salaries and expenses for the out of state/city PD were reimbursed using the $50mm.

I am trying to be as educated about the DNC and it's impact, so I would hate to use inaccurate info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte