Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 7,158 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow Charlotteans! Quick question for those of you experiences in the moving game...

I've got a couch, chair, coffee table, and 2 end tables that need to move to a local storage unit. Not a big job, but the furniture is not mine and the owners would like an actual moving company to do the work, not me or friends of mine. I would be paying for the actual moving, though. I have yet to come across any companies in Charlotte (or the surrounding areas) that do not have a 2 hr minimum moving requirement ON TOP OF a 1 hour traveling fee. Can anyone out there recommend a reputable moving company that will not charge me 3 hours of work that will take 30 minutes, tops?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 08:15 AM

Bueller?

Old 01-19-2012, 08:50 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
I've never looked into this, but in general companies don't want to spend two hours time to get paid for an hour's work. They definitely don't want to schedule around a tiny piece of work like that. Doing what I do, I have a job coming up that will probably take me 30 minutes. Even charging for an hour (minimum) it's hardly worth my time and gas to drive to the guy's home and back. Plus there's liability involved (moreso in your case).

Have you looked on craigslist services?

Old 01-19-2012, 09:04 AM

Completely understand the idea of travel/gas/etc. I'd even be willing to pay for the travel fee that most companies have...just really looking for anyone that might not have any minimums.

I've looked at craigslist, but am a little leery, for obvious reasons. Thus, coming here and looking for any suggestions. I've always been a huge fan of word of mouth, so if anyone 'knows a guy that knows a guy', feel free to suggest away!

Old 01-19-2012, 02:55 PM

550 posts, read 1,808,238 times
If the furniture is not yours, why are you the one paying to move it? Doesn't seem right...

a) have the "owners" of the furniture pay for the moving.
b) rent a UHaul. If the "owners" don't like that, they should pay to have movers come in.
c) rent a UHaul and tell the "owners" that you paid movers.

It's five items and the only thing big/heavy should be the couch. Doesn't seem like something that should require movers.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:16 PM

373 posts, read 710,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watercoloreyes View Post
Hello fellow Charlotteans! Quick question for those of you experiences in the moving game...

I've got a couch, chair, coffee table, and 2 end tables that need to move to a local storage unit. Not a big job, but the furniture is not mine and the owners would like an actual moving company to do the work, not me or friends of mine. I would be paying for the actual moving, though. I have yet to come across any companies in Charlotte (or the surrounding areas) that do not have a 2 hr minimum moving requirement ON TOP OF a 1 hour traveling fee. Can anyone out there recommend a reputable moving company that will not charge me 3 hours of work that will take 30 minutes, tops?

Thanks in advance!
30 minutes? I guess the stuff is already placed outside and ready to be loaded. If not 30 minutes may not even be enough time to take it out of your house..lets keep it real. How much do you think it is worth to have a mover do it?

Old 01-19-2012, 05:17 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,799,251 times
U-Haul: Moving Help moving labor service

I'd try this website which is "sanctioned" by U-Haul, they do the work....you just rent and drive the truck. it's much cheaper than the "professionals"

None of my business also, but why are you paying to move someone else's stuff?

Old 01-20-2012, 09:09 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,133,288 times
I wouldn't pay to move somebody else's stuff either, but you clearly have some kind of deal worked out. I agree w/the other poster who suggested you just move it yourself. The owners never have to know.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:18 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,761,662 times
Moving companies are notorious. Sending two guys cause one got "sick" and charging you less per hour fully knowing they'll get more out of you with this kind of trick. So, you might find one that says no minimum but it's still going to take three hours and they don't give you "your" stuff until you pay up.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:38 PM

373 posts, read 710,018 times
Go to the corner of Dill street on Wendover and you will find dozens of hard workers ready to help do the work no one else wants to do...lol You bring the truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte