Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:24 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,652,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
Lorenzo's pizza is incredible!!!..and I'm originally from Brooklyn.
Brooklyn Pizza on Rea Road is good too. So's Libretto's Pizza in Ballantyne.

All we need is a bakery, and we're set!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 10:43 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,652,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
On a serious note, I must admit the one notion that makes me nervous about the move is the crime stats for Charlotte. As the transplants know, LI does not have a major crime problem. yes, there are some occasional break-ins, etc but the crime reports for Charlotte are alarming. Any experience? Is this a justified fear/hesitation??
Imagine that the *entire* south shore of Nassau or Suffolk County were dominated by the same demographic found in Amityville. Statistically, the total crime rate for Long Island would be *a lot* higher. The south shore would be a place where you'd be guarded. But just because, statistically, total crime on Long Island would look bad, under this premise the *north shore* *wouldn't* be greatly affected.

It's the same thing with Charlotte. There are good and bad areas.

You'll always come across a yahoo or two. And some of these yahoo's can be quite menacing, to say the least. But use common sense, and you won't have any problems.

Go into an undesirable area, leave an iphone on your front seat, and someone's going to break into your car.

Same thing would happen in Manhattan.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:35 AM

60 posts, read 126,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Seriously though...do all of the LI expats have these blinders on? You often here "NC reminds me of what LI was like 20 years ago". Don't you all think that if enough people from LI all move to the same area it will turn out of have the same things you dislike about it (minus weather if that is a factor) down the road? Isn't that pretty much exactly what happened to South Florida (which is what has now caused the "half-backer" phenomenon responsible for a lot of NC's growth).

Just something that always struck me...as LIers looking to relocate make up a significant amount of the activity on the NC board....and they often seem very naive about the prospects of their big move.
Didnt you live in Upstate NY then Raleigh or Wake county for a bunch of years , Then moved to Charlotte area for a little bit. I also think you said you were moving back to NY in 06-07. Well are you still here in NC??

Old 10-08-2012, 04:54 AM

99 posts, read 293,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marobr View Post
you guys are making me want to leave now.
Leave !!!!!

Old 10-08-2012, 05:39 AM

14 posts, read 18,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROFGH View Post
Leave !!!!!
working on it.thanks for everything last week.can't wait for my visit on friday.good luck to you and your family on the move.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:26 AM

247 posts, read 378,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Seriously though...do all of the LI expats have these blinders on? You often here "NC reminds me of what LI was like 20 years ago". Don't you all think that if enough people from LI all move to the same area it will turn out of have the same things you dislike about it (minus weather if that is a factor) down the road? Isn't that pretty much exactly what happened to South Florida (which is what has now caused the "half-backer" phenomenon responsible for a lot of NC's growth).

Just something that always struck me...as LIers looking to relocate make up a significant amount of the activity on the NC board....and they often seem very naive about the prospects of their big move.
No blinders here. Certain parts of NC definately remind me of LI that I knew when I was a kid. Sadly, the part of Nassau where I grew up (and where my parents live) is starting to become less suburban and more urban. I love all the trees and the small farms with cows and sheep that still exist close to my home. It reminds me of being out on the East End, especially in the fall.

For me, it wasn't the people that I was leaving behind, it was the insane housing prices and property taxes that were the main reason I left LI, so unless the same think happens in Charlotte/Concord, I will continue to like it here.

I wasn't naive about my move. I lurked on here and got info and input. But mostly I did my homework regarding taxes, and schools, and housing prices, and where to move to have a reasonable commute. I weighted the pros & cons and made a decision that we could have a better life in Charlotte.

I hope by being on here and commenting on this thread, I can help others looking to leave LI, show them that it can be done, and to assist in any way possible.

I will always be a New Yorker, and there will always be things I miss. But this is our home now, and we could not be happier.

Last edited by Reggie4417; 10-08-2012 at 07:02 AM..

Old 10-08-2012, 07:07 AM

14 posts, read 18,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie4417 View Post
No blinders here. Certain parts of NC definately remind me of LI that I knew when I was a kid. Sadly, the part of Nassau where I grew up (and where my parents live) is starting to become less suburban and more urban. I love all the trees and the small farms with cows and sheep that still exist close to my home. It reminds me of being out on the East End, especially in the fall.

For me, it wasn't the people that I was leaving behind, it was the insane housing prices and property taxes that were the main reason I left LI, so unless the same think happens in Charlotte/Concord, I will continue to like it here.

I wasn't naive about my move. I lurked on here and got info and input. But mostly I did my homework regarding taxes, and schools, and housing prices, and where to move to have a reasonable commute. I weighted the pros & cons and made a decision that we could have a better life in Charlotte.

I hope by being on here and commenting on this thread, I can help others looking to leave LI, show them that it can be done, and to assist in any way possible.

I will always be a New Yorker, and there will always be things I miss. But this is our home now, and we could not be happier.
that sums it all up perfectly

Old 10-08-2012, 07:34 AM

247 posts, read 378,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post

Love the Libretto's in the EpiCenter, one of the guys who works there is from Wantagh, so I inherently trust him! LOL!

We live in Highland Creek, and we love Due Amici. Hawthorne's isn't bad either, although I think their meals are better than the pizza (just an opinion).

Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
We personally lean towards Brooklyn pizza in Wesley Chapel over Lorenzos - don't get me wrong, I like Lorenzos (I even know him personally as he lives near me and our kids play baseball at the same park) - great guy and a long suffering Jets fan like so many of us... just that thinner crispier crust does it for me. I can see the argument that Lorenzo has better sauce.

Big View Diner on 521 and AK has an excellent bakery - just very limited choices. Would be great if they ever expanded it one day.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:28 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,899,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post

Check Urban Spoon. They list 184 in the area. I am sure that some are very good. Several are listed as European and many are Hispanic, both capable of making excellent breads. Check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte