Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 03:24 PM

157 posts, read 105,149 times

Advertisements

Anyone remember when people only stopped on on-ramps when there was congestion in the right lane? I use to see it up North a lot but never down South
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2021, 11:08 PM

231 posts, read 213,491 times
It appears to me that the level of aggression on the roads has gone up a notch or two since the pandemic started. Way more frequently I see people just flat out run red lights, make highly erratic/unsafe lane changes while going about 20mph faster than the flow of traffic which is already running 10-15MPH over the speed limit, lean on someone to force them to make room them to merge. It’s pretty crazy out there lately but, not unique to Charlotte.

Old 09-17-2021, 12:38 AM

1,655 posts, read 774,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
It appears to me that the level of aggression on the roads has gone up a notch or two since the pandemic started. Way more frequently I see people just flat out run red lights, make highly erratic/unsafe lane changes while going about 20mph faster than the flow of traffic which is already running 10-15MPH over the speed limit, lean on someone to force them to make room them to merge. It’s pretty crazy out there lately but, not unique to Charlotte.
I think there’s a lot more people from other areas that have brought their driving styles with them….and probably many more to come so I don’t see it getting any better. I know and have ridden a lot with a family from Tampa…a few times I’ve commented on their aggressive driving but they just laugh and say that’s how it’s done in Florida.

Old 09-17-2021, 04:56 AM

231 posts, read 213,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I think there’s a lot more people from other areas that have brought their driving styles with them….and probably many more to come so I don’t see it getting any better. I know and have ridden a lot with a family from Tampa…a few times I’ve commented on their aggressive driving but they just laugh and say that’s how it’s done in Florida.
That situation isn’t new. The volume of people coming here from other areas has been quite high for as long as I’ve lived here (30 years). I’m thinking what I’m seeing is more related to a lot of people having their worlds turned upside down by the pandemic and that stress carrying over into other things in life like driving.

Old 09-19-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I'm from the north, and can tell you first hand the stopping on uncongested on-ramp thing came from the north... I personally never did it, and find it almost as annoying as the other trend of going at least 10MPH under in 55+ zones...

I've been coming in and out of NC since the early nineties and didn't start seeing this stuff till like eight years ago if not less

Old 09-21-2021, 09:59 PM

210 posts, read 199,043 times
My rule of thumb is this, if you see a FL or SC tag, assuming they're going to drive like an absolute psycho.

Old 09-24-2021, 04:24 AM

334 posts, read 290,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24gf424g View Post
Anyone remember when people only stopped on on-ramps when there was congestion in the right lane? I use to see it up North a lot but never down South

Thirty years ago, the big thing was for drivers (sober and drunk) to take a U-turn on I-77 and exit in the wrong direction via an on ramp. That doesn't happen too often now.

Another extinguished behavior is what I call the Charlotte Pass. An impatient driver in the right lane tailgates the driver ahead of him then passes very close to the slower driver's left rear bumper. I haven't seen that in a few years.

One behavior that persists is the notion that speed limit signs indicate a MANDATORY speed, even in the right lane. Driving 5-10 miles under the speed limit in the right lane isn't unreasonable. What's unreasonable is when someone expects others to drive OVER the speed limit in either lane.

Charlotteans seem not to understand that the rules of the road dictate that one should pass others in the LEFT LANE.

Tailgating is a problem, even on residential streets. Worse, people drive way too fast in residential neighborhoods.

School zone speed limits? Whenever I enter a school zone, I pull over and let anyone behind me pass me. In the past year a couple of morons got tickets for driving 45 in a posted 25 mph school zone.

Old 09-25-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langerhans View Post
Thirty years ago, the big thing was for drivers (sober and drunk) to take a U-turn on I-77 and exit in the wrong direction via an on ramp. That doesn't happen too often now.

Another extinguished behavior is what I call the Charlotte Pass. An impatient driver in the right lane tailgates the driver ahead of him then passes very close to the slower driver's left rear bumper. I haven't seen that in a few years.

One behavior that persists is the notion that speed limit signs indicate a MANDATORY speed, even in the right lane. Driving 5-10 miles under the speed limit in the right lane isn't unreasonable. What's unreasonable is when someone expects others to drive OVER the speed limit in either lane.

Charlotteans seem not to understand that the rules of the road dictate that one should pass others in the LEFT LANE.

Tailgating is a problem, even on residential streets. Worse, people drive way too fast in residential neighborhoods.

School zone speed limits? Whenever I enter a school zone, I pull over and let anyone behind me pass me. In the past year a couple of morons got tickets for driving 45 in a posted 25 mph school zone.

You're actually wrong on a lot of your points... I've worked around the DOT a lot of my life and was even a professional driver for a while. 10+ under the speed limit use to get you ticketed for impeding traffic; that's actually still in law but troopers and the DOT got overwhelmed by bad drivers..

Most of the stuff you brought up are just signs of mental incompetence... People needing their hands held for basic navigation through the adult world... Productive citizens were forced to become care-bears.... We are forced to suffer weak fools...

Old 09-25-2021, 07:52 PM

334 posts, read 290,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24gf424g View Post
You're actually wrong on a lot of your points... I've worked around the DOT a lot of my life and was even a professional driver for a while. 10+ under the speed limit use to get you ticketed for impeding traffic; that's actually still in law but troopers and the DOT got overwhelmed by bad drivers..

Most of the stuff you brought up are just signs of mental incompetence... People needing their hands held for basic navigation through the adult world... Productive citizens were forced to become care-bears.... We are forced to suffer weak fools...

Have a blessed day.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:40 PM

571 posts, read 547,183 times
I have said before that Americans are lousy drivers generally. This month, I have driven through 20 states and put 6,450 miles on my speedometer. I have made an honest evaluation of the worst drivers in the U.S. To my surprise, California drivers seem to really suck. They seem oblivious to other drivers on the road and stay in the passing lane more than other drivers from other states. Also, New York drivers seem to be very inexperienced and oblivious. That could be because many are from the city and have little actual driving experience compared to others. My overall conclusion is this:

Many people that complain about poor drivers are from small towns and cities. If they are from large cities, they face all kinds of issues on daily commutes to and from work generally. Big cities, like Charlotte, have a variety of driver with differing driving skills. They are all jammed on crowded highways causing all kinds of issues. It is different than driving on the open road or in a small town. We want to kill the moron that is in the passing lane and not getting over especially in busy traffic although we face it on highways where there is no traffic and often think nothing of it. It you take 20 drivers from Charlotte and 20 drivers from Chicago, chances are 10 from each city suck in regards to driving defensively, courteously, and legally. A diverse population ensures a variety in driving habits and respect for others and road rules. People from large cities generally understand about letting drivers merge when proper and understanding that everyone is a potential danger on the road. Again American driver suck generally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte