Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 02:26 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Hello

I've had some experience in HR and was involved in the Hiring and Interview process at my last job. First of all, I'm sorry about your situation!

Secondly, right now North Carolina has amongst the highest unemployment in the nation which could be factoring into your situation.

However, without sounding accusatory I have to ask- how do you present yourself when you come in and ask for an application? Even in this day and age, we live in a highly superficial world and image is everything even in the minimum wage retail / service sector.

If you come in wearing Jeans and a Sweatshirt, I (and other hiring managers) wouldn't take you as seriously as someone who came in wearing a nice freshly ironed pair of pants, button up shirt/ blouse, clean shoes and neat and clean hair. You don't need to look like you've stepped out of a fashion magazine, but 'professional casual' is always the way to go no matter what the job or place of employment.

Tattoos and Piercings are another one. I'm not one to judge because I also have tattoos and piercings- however, for the sake of work and for the sake of interviews I always make sure my piercings are kept to my lower lobes and my tattoos are covered. If you don't have any though, that's absolutely fine too

I'm sorry that you're having all of these issues though.

Best of luck to you and I hope that you can find some employment soon!

Kindest Regards & Best Wishes,
A
When I was on the retail floor years ago I was stunned at some of the people who came in looking for a job. Some would dress as if they just came from a bad hip-hop or grunge video. I'd walk up and ask them how I could help them and they'd respond, while looking at the counter or floor, with "mmmbuhfiu job uhogj". "I'm sorry, I didn't understand you." "iufoiuhuwmmmmb job wuihfil". What little patience I have for this type of person had evaporated by this point, so I'd bark "WHAT??!??" loudly enough to get their attention. "I aasdneedtter a jobmms". When I told them that all job apps are taken online, some of them would just walk away.

Some people just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 02:48 PM

716 posts, read 2,159,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
When I was on the retail floor years ago I was stunned at some of the people who came in looking for a job. Some would dress as if they just came from a bad hip-hop or grunge video. I'd walk up and ask them how I could help them and they'd respond, while looking at the counter or floor, with "mmmbuhfiu job uhogj". "I'm sorry, I didn't understand you." "iufoiuhuwmmmmb job wuihfil". What little patience I have for this type of person had evaporated by this point, so I'd bark "WHAT??!??" loudly enough to get their attention. "I aasdneedtter a jobmms". When I told them that all job apps are taken online, some of them would just walk away.

Some people just don't get it.
Couldn't agree more. (As well as with the HR person's post.)

What do ALL employers want? Clean, honest, respectable and reliable employees. If you're customer-facing, all the more so. Why would you not put your best foot forward from the very start?

When I was in retail, I interviewed literally HUNDREDS of people. The applications that wouldn't even make it past the "no" pile? The ones handed in that were crumpled up. Filled out in pencil. Spelled the names of former employers wrong. Thrown at me across the counter. People who would ask for a job without looking me in the eye.

The standard rules of applying are also good online. Double check spelling. Big lapses in employment? Tell me why. 6 different jobs in a year? Why?

I also used to like to ask, "So why do you want to work here?" Pro tip: do NOT answer "I need money." Please give me some reason to think you will be at least minimally interested in the job.

Those "personality" tests are a real kick too. They ask questions like, "How many times have you come to work drunk/high?" or "How many times have you stolen from your employers? Was it office supplies? Do you think that was wrong or a 'victimless' crime?" (YES, many people admitted to coming to work drunk or high. I wish I were kidding.)

Two other things that also used to really chap my hide?
1. If you call to follow up 6 times, and I tell you every time that we will call you if you are chosen for the position, it's annoying. Also, if I tell you that you were not chosen for the position don't argue with me! No means no!
2. If you are a no call no show to the interview, you don't get a second chance. How can I trust you to come to work with an attitude like that?

Old 10-10-2012, 02:50 PM

714 posts, read 2,307,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
If he continually fails a personality test, a security job probably is not the best line of work for him.
Short of having no personality, how does one fail a personality test? That has me befuddled.

OP, are there any reasons you can think of that make you think they might be looking you over with nothing more than a glance?

Old 10-10-2012, 03:41 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
Short of having no personality, how does one fail a personality test? That has me befuddled.
Its not so much of a personality test as it is a questionnaire to see how good of an employee you might be. Usually they'll ask questions about how you work with others, if you get emotional at work, if you are a leader or follower, and how past employers would rate you.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:54 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,169 times
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Glock isn't here to seek help to find a job as much as they are trying to vent and blame everyone else but them, and are seeking validation of their views from the rest of us.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:18 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
We had a guy come in.. ask for an interview, then refuse to leave, threaten half the employees and scream racism while walking past 1 white person, 2 blacks and a latino.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:07 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,858 times
How to Fail Applying For a Job

How To Fail When Applying For A Job - YouTube

Old 10-10-2012, 06:03 PM

18 posts, read 20,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Hello

I've had some experience in HR and was involved in the Hiring and Interview process at my last job. First of all, I'm sorry about your situation!

Secondly, right now North Carolina has amongst the highest unemployment in the nation which could be factoring into your situation.

However, without sounding accusatory I have to ask- how do you present yourself when you come in and ask for an application? Even in this day and age, we live in a highly superficial world and image is everything even in the minimum wage retail / service sector.

If you come in wearing Jeans and a Sweatshirt, I (and other hiring managers) wouldn't take you as seriously as someone who came in wearing a nice freshly ironed pair of pants, button up shirt/ blouse, clean shoes and neat and clean hair. You don't need to look like you've stepped out of a fashion magazine, but 'professional casual' is always the way to go no matter what the job or place of employment.

Tattoos and Piercings are another one. I'm not one to judge because I also have tattoos and piercings- however, for the sake of work and for the sake of interviews I always make sure my piercings are kept to my lower lobes and my tattoos are covered. If you don't have any though, that's absolutely fine too

I'm sorry that you're having all of these issues though.

Best of luck to you and I hope that you can find some employment soon!

Kindest Regards & Best Wishes,
A
I don't need anymore lectures about "looking them in the eye" or any of this other nonsense. I know how to do a job interview.

I love how people are making the assumption that I'm some deadbeat loser who doesn't shave, has sleeve tattoos or wears his pants bagging around his ankles like some ghetto thug.

Listen, I am a professional. I've worn polo's and khakis before. I've even worn a full blown suit to a hotel job interview.

It seems like the people they want to hire are actually losers. I've been in these stores and I see the employees. They all look like deadbeats compared to me.
(men with long hair. beards and or unwashed dirty clothes)

I am actually a respectable guy. I enjoy classical music, musicals and plays.

I need to find out why these losers can secure a job at wal-mart. Yet I can't

I fail the personality tests because I might be too smart for the position? I don't know.

I think they assume that a intelligent person working for the company would be dangerous because I could come up with a way to embezzle money from the company somehow.

I just don't know what to do anymore.

I have huge gaps in my work history and I cant go back to school because I have no cash right now.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:12 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,858 times
Most of the jobs I got over the course of my life were:

(A) Going to the company, expressing an interest in employment *before* they have an opening. Call back periodically (but don't be a nuisance). Get to know a few names there who understand you are serious and want to work THERE.
(B) Temp agencies. Many businesses just don't want to spend time combing the resume pile, scheduling interviews, juggling all the callbacks etc. They prefer outsourcing that to an agency to weed out the duds. It feels frustrating to be so powerless to the process, but I got a couple of good paying jobs through agencies.

Only one time can I remember doing the old "See an advertised opening, mail a resume, fill out an application, wade through the interviews" classic routine. And that was 1998 when the market was white hot in my field.

Last edited by Sean_CLT; 10-10-2012 at 06:22 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 06:38 PM

18 posts, read 20,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Most of the jobs I got over the course of my life were:

(A) Going to the company, expressing an interest in employment *before* they have an opening. Call back periodically (but don't be a nuisance). Get to know a few names there who understand you are serious and want to work THERE.
(B) Temp agencies. Many businesses just don't want to spend time combing the resume pile, scheduling interviews, juggling all the callbacks etc. They prefer outsourcing that to an agency to weed out the duds. It feels frustrating to be so powerless to the process, but I got a couple of good paying jobs through agencies.

Only one time can I remember doing the old "See an advertised opening, mail a resume, fill out an application, wade through the interviews" classic routine. And that was 1998 when the market was white hot in my field.
I went to a temp agency. The first thing they made us do was log into a computer and do a 500 question psych test / personality test.

One guy did it and they told him to leave. He got upset off and punched the representative.
(The conversation went like this. "Why did you make me waste my time if you were just going to say no")

I also failed it too. Funny enough. everyone in the room with me failed it.

I agree it's not fair what they're doing out in the employment field. If you saw this type of stuff you wouldn't believe it.

And based on what you're saying to me. You haven't been job seeking in a while

Everything is automated now. They wont talk to you. They want you to go to a kiosk and use a computer.

Everything is computerized. This isn't the 1990s job market it used to be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte