Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,387 times

Advertisements

We are moving this summer to Charlotte. We looked at Weddington Chase, Lawson, Marvin Creek, Chimneys of Marvin, Hollister and Baxter Village. If any one has any Positive or negative information to help us decide on a neighborhood we would appreciate it! We have three kids, so we need a good preschool, elementary and middle school. We really like the Marvin and Cuthberston cluster. I'm a little concerned about the many negative comments for Marvin schools having lots of cliches, bullying situations and not being friendly unless you are extremely wealthy. Two of our kids are on travel select soccer teams, so we also need to find soccer clubs close to the neighborhood we find. Any suggestions on good soccer clubs. Thanks!!!!!

Last edited by Soccermom33; 01-01-2013 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 05:17 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,769,088 times
Charlotte Soccer Academy and Charlotte Futbol Club are pretty much the dominant ones for the ultra competitive type players that want college exposure

Old 01-02-2013, 05:28 AM

430 posts, read 804,550 times
IMO you should also consider the Weddington cluster, it's at the same level as the other two. Union County is fantastic. There are many people here of varying degrees of wealth. Schools are excellent. I'm zoned to New Town Elementary (Cuthbertson cluster) and love it, but most of the elementary schools are great. There are many good preschools in the area, but registration begins this month, so if you can, start searching and touring. Mine are young, so I can't speak about cliches, but really not everyone is super rich in Marvin. It's a nice area, but plenty of middle class families too!

Not referencing Baxter Village here because I know nothing about SC and that area. Doesn't mean it's bad though! If you do end up in Union County, join UnionCountyMommies.com. Great resource for all things mom related as well as a place to make friends. You can join before you move.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,166,000 times
Quote:
I'm a little concerned about the many negative comments for Marvin schools having lots of cliches, bullying situations and not being friendly unless you are extremely wealthy.

Read more: Relocating from Florida to South Charlotte
I'm not sure where these comments come from, but this is news to me. Never heard of any complains from our kids or our neighbors/friends. Also not sure what "extremely wealthy" would have to do with MR kids, since most likely the rich parents would send their kids to private schools.

All the neighborhoods you mentioned are great, don't think you would go wrong with any one of them.
Try to spend some time walking in each of them, it will give a better feeling on where you would like to live.
Also, if you want your HS kids to get into IB, MR would be the school that offers it (also by statistics, top ranking HS in Charlotte area).

Last edited by 28173; 01-02-2013 at 06:20 AM..

Old 01-02-2013, 05:55 PM

7 posts, read 10,403 times
Schools are much better in SC than NC. Try looking in the Fort Mill or Tega Cay section of SC. I live down by the buster boyd bridge on Lake Wylie. I don't know what kind of budget you have for housing. But on the SC side of the buster boyd bridge are some very nice communities with some of the best schools in the state of SC. If you want to live in NC try looking at the communities of riverpoint and the palisades on the NC side of the buster boyd bridge. But, if your childrens education is the most important, SOUTH CAROLINA all the way.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:47 PM

985 posts, read 1,902,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccermom33 View Post
We are moving this summer to Charlotte. We looked at Weddington Chase, Lawson, Marvin Creek, Chimneys of Marvin, Hollister and Baxter Village. If any one has any Positive or negative information to help us decide on a neighborhood we would appreciate it! We have three kids, so we need a good preschool, elementary and middle school. We really like the Marvin and Cuthberston cluster. I'm a little concerned about the many negative comments for Marvin schools having lots of cliches, bullying situations and not being friendly unless you are extremely wealthy. Two of our kids are on travel select soccer teams, so we also need to find soccer clubs close to the neighborhood we find. Any suggestions on good soccer clubs. Thanks!!!!!
I believe Hollister feeds into Weddington, also a good school, but not the Marvin/Cuthbertson cluster. Weddington does wear uniforms at the middle school, not that should matter but if you have an 8th grader next year it may be more difficult if they have never worn them before.

My 3 children go to Marvin and is there bullying, I would say yes, but I would also day there is not a middle school that does not have bullying it is an age thing unfortunately. I also would not say that you have to be wealth to have friends, never heard that before from anyone. I have been to all kinds of school things and have never even seen a divide to imply that. If you have more questions about the school, you can ask here or dm me if you like. We have been attending for just about 2 years (I picked my 3 up and moved them mid-year).

adding: there are a ton of kids in the chimneys...and weddington chase more so than marvin creek. Cant speak about the other 3, as I haven't been in them as much.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,387 times
Thank you for all the feedback. We spent all week looking at neighborhoods, I think we narrowed it down to Weddington Chase, Chimneys of Marvin and Lawson. It seems like they all are zoned for good schools and are close to shopping areas (Target). All three seem to be neighborhoods with lots of kids, which is what we were looking for. Does anyone has anything negative or positive to say about the three neighborhoods or builders (Pulte or Lennar)? I also read several negative comments about Sandy Ridge Elementary (greatschools.com) does anyone have personal experience with this elementary school?

Old 01-07-2013, 08:03 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,034 times
I would set appointments and speak with the principals of all of the school you are considering. Many of my clients do that and it does help them as they are making a decision.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:36 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,166,000 times
We have had a great experience with Sandy Ridge.
Also WC is built by John Weiland one of the most respected/reputable builders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte