Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2006, 04:50 PM

74 posts, read 256,070 times

Advertisements

To give you a little background info on myself...

I am a 26 year old single female from Long Island, NY living with my parents. I have a masters degree and make about $33,000 a year at my current job. I am planning on moving to NC for lower cost of living (living on my own would be nice!), better weather, nicer people and a salary that is comparable or a bit more than what I am making now.

I plan on purchasing a condo and have my eye on Charlotte because this seems to still be one of the cheaper areas. I have found a number of nice relatively new condos in my price range ($75-$105,000) in Mecklenburg county online. However, I know nothing about this area. I plan on making a trip there of course but any info would be appreciated. My budget is low.. but I don't want to live in the projects!

Also, I would like the option of renting out my place. I plan on leaving in two years to go abroad and would rather not wait till I get back to buy (as I don't know if I'll be priced out by then). Does anyone have experience with renting their condos in this area? Is it difficult to find renters?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am entirely new to this *home buying* thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 05:10 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,784,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer33ny View Post
To give you a little background info on myself...

I am a 26 year old single female from Long Island, NY living with my parents. I have a masters degree and make about $33,000 a year at my current job. I am planning on moving to NC for lower cost of living (living on my own would be nice!), better weather, nicer people and a salary that is comparable or a bit more than what I am making now.

I plan on purchasing a condo and have my eye on Charlotte because this seems to still be one of the cheaper areas. I have found a number of nice relatively new condos in my price range ($75-$105,000) in Mecklenburg county online. However, I know nothing about this area. I plan on making a trip there of course but any info would be appreciated. My budget is low.. but I don't want to live in the projects!

Also, I would like the option of renting out my place. I plan on leaving in two years to go abroad and would rather not wait till I get back to buy (as I don't know if I'll be priced out by then). Does anyone have experience with renting their condos in this area? Is it difficult to find renters?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am entirely new to this *home buying* thing!

Hi Summer, I'm not a realtor, so I can comment and give my personal opinion on areas of town all day long. Tell me where this condo you have found online is and I'll tell you what I know

Old 10-02-2006, 06:18 PM

Thanks a lot mountain!!!

I found it on realtor.com so I really don't have much information as to what the name of the place is or where in charlotte it is. I have the zip code which is 28212. It's a 2 bedroom, 2 bath 1200 sq. foot condo built in 2002 listed for $75,000... I don't know if any of that info helps..

Old 10-02-2006, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer33ny View Post
Thanks a lot mountain!!!

I found it on realtor.com so I really don't have much information as to what the name of the place is or where in charlotte it is. I have the zip code which is 28212. It's a 2 bedroom, 2 bath 1200 sq. foot condo built in 2002 listed for $75,000... I don't know if any of that info helps..
That does help, as 28212 covers some nice areas. I will go to realtor.com for you and see if I can identify the neighborhood on the info there. But also, consider takeing CharlotteAgent up on his offer to help too - he is the best, least self-promoting realtor on this forum and seems to know his stuff

Old 10-02-2006, 06:39 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,838,872 times
if that's the one near Shamrock RD be careful as this is also close to Albermarle Rd which sadly is becoming a rough spot....

Old 10-02-2006, 06:51 PM

Thanks Mountain and Charlotte....

I guess I will just have to wait patiently till I can make the trip down there and see things for myself.

What would the price range be for condo less than 5 yrs old, 2 bed, 2 bath, 1200 sq. feet in a NICE area??? Just so I can weed out the bad ones..

Old 10-02-2006, 06:53 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,838,872 times
is 75K your price range?

Old 10-02-2006, 07:02 PM

$75 would be the minimum.. probably $105 max.

Anymore than that and I may have to look into a cheaper part of NC.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
if that's the one near Shamrock RD be careful as this is also close to Albermarle Rd which sadly is becoming a rough spot....

I checked it out and it is

Just from looking for a few minutes I can tell you that of the listings on this site I didn't see a single one I would recommend until I hit $80,000. If you want to look at it the number is: 618878. Another good one is listed at $81,900 and it's number is 1034777. But the one I think has the most desirable location is listed at $84,500. The # of the listing is 569749. Looks like if you need to stay under $75,000 you will need a good realtor and be prepared to go further out away from the city okay?

Old 10-02-2006, 07:55 PM

Thanks mountain.. I will go check those out.

I wouldn't want to spend less than $75k.. $110k is my max.

I was just curious to know how much I should expect to spend on a place in a decent area.. so I can have a general idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte