Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 03:15 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,977,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
.... He model had been in place for years and has been very successful.
Yes it has been very successful for team owners, player salaries and certain media corporations. There has been no proof that it's much successful for much of anything else.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:27 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,614,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I take this to mean then that you were simply making it up when you claimed that Smith has threatened "many times" to move CMS if he didn't get incentives.

He hasn't. He is the example for sports owners to follow.
Smith is not a model. He owns tracks, not teams. Richardson owns the team and operates the stadium. This is the first time I have heard anyone brag on Bruton Smith. I doubt Humph Wheeler would have nice thoughts.

It is off topic, Bruton is not buying the Panthers and if he did would be asking for money as well. He held Concord hostage many times with threats to move CMS.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Smith is not a model. He owns tracks, not teams.
He owns a sports venue where teams come to play. Richardson owns a sports venue where teams come to play including the one that he owns. Smith chooses to build and improve his sports venue (a significantly larger investment BTW) without rooking the taxpayers. Richardson, is looking to rook the taxpayers for his.

I've not heard nor seen one concrete shred of proof that Richardson's sports venue is more lucrative to this area or state than Smith's. If I had to bet money on it, I would go with Smith. If Richardson had a real story to tell, then he wouldn't be asking behind closed doors and arrogantly dismissing questions from the taxpayers.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
... He held Concord hostage many times with threats to move CMS.
This is not true.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:09 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,207,699 times
Quote:
Not sure what your point is... other teams are making improvements that are more expensive. I think all of them are getting some public funding. Some more.. some less. Why would or should Richardson pay 100% when every other owner isnt? What makes Charlotte so special that an NFL owner should bow down?

IMO its foolish to expect an owner to pony up all the money when 31 other teams use a different model.
Do all of those 31 teams have PSLs..If not why doesnt richardson spend the psl money for up grades...I have always wondered why charlotte has to have psls and other successful teams dont..Why is that

Old 03-09-2013, 05:27 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,659,336 times
Quote:
Yes it has been very successful for team owners, player salaries and certain media corporations. There has been no proof that it's much successful for much of anything else.
You dont believe that... there is no way a person with common sense would believe an NFL team has a zero or negative impact on a city.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
....... there is no way a person with common sense would believe an NFL team has a zero or negative impact on a city.
I am a person of facts and figures. Either the data is there or is isn't. IMO, the data is there and it doesn't tell a pretty story. I don't get into posting web links, but there is plenty of evidence out there, that promises made about public investing in the NFL don't come true.

I do remember huge predictions about 3rd ward being turned into a vast entertainment district with hotels, bars, stroll districts, and even claims that it would become a 24 hour/day attraction all due to the BofA stadium being built. Of course, absolutely none of it came true. For the most part, it's a big dead area of the city that sees little activity outside of the few times there is a home game. And this is just one example that was given as fact, but nobody wants to talk about now.

This is why I say show me the facts and figures. Anyone asking for tax money should have to do this. This is what common sense demands, not blind acceptance.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Do all of those 31 teams have PSLs..If not why doesnt richardson spend the psl money for up grades...I have always wondered why charlotte has to have psls and other successful teams dont..Why is that
I know the Steelers have them and so do the Cowboys. One thing you have to underetand is the buyer has a choice... they arent forced to buy it. Most PSL's were bought as an investment. A Steeler PSL bought 11 years ago has increased 300% or some crazy number.. however, the Cowboys PSL bought a fee years ago has lost value.

Its a membership IMO and one could buy individual tickets if they wanted... but some people want season tickets and have the money to buy them. Not sure why its a bad thing.

I just got a call for Bobcat season tickets... I said no.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:52 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,768,310 times
Quote:
This is not true.
Maybe but the rhetoric is there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=brut...oncord+hostage

Old 03-09-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I am a person of facts and figures. Either the data is there or is isn't. IMO, the data is there and it doesn't tell a pretty story. I don't get into posting web links, but there is plenty of evidence out there, that promises made about public investing in the NFL don't come true.

I do remember huge predictions about 3rd ward being turned into a vast entertainment district with hotels, bars, stroll districts, and even claims that it would become a 24 hour/day attraction all due to the BofA stadium being built. Of course, absolutely none of it came true. For the most part, it's a big dead area of the city that sees little activity outside of the few times there is a home game. And this is just one example that was given as fact, but nobody wants to talk about now.

This is why I say show me the facts and figures. Anyone asking for tax money should have to do this. This is what common sense demands, not blind acceptance.
There is no official figure because its impossible to put hard numbers on the impact of an NFL team.
Quote:
According to the USC study, the Panthers directly contribute 4,415 jobs and create $361.5 million in annual economic gains for the region. The calculations include Panthers staffers, executives, players and coaches as well as the impact of 10 home games and other events at the team’s privately held stadium. Counting spinoff effects of the additional spending and jobs created by those games, employees and related vendors and tourism, the total impact reached $636 million annually, the USC study determined

Theres no way you can have 60,000 people in charlotte 10 times a year... plus an additional 30K to 50k or so in bars and restaurants 16 times a year and not see a positive impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte