Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2013, 07:21 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,632,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
WBTV did a televised editorial this morning that said IF any money is given to the Panthers, it should come with a binding public referendum. They also called out the Mayor, the Charlotte city council, and the Panthers for the absolute lack of public transparency in how the process was handled behind closed doors.
You and WBTV are completely missing the point. The story about the Panther's finances are irrelevant. The NFL is the biggest sport in the US with huge TV contracts. Only someone with no ability to understand business would be surprised that an NFL team makes money. The point is that there are only 32 teams which creates a shortage. There are more cities and states that want a team than are available. So, are we to assume to you and WBTV know more than other cities and state's business leaders? That is arrogant?

Another point that you are missing is that I have shown you and others directly the present value cost to the state which you ignore. If you look at the assumptions, there are 100% on target. And, that does not include the intrinsic value of the team. The Panthers provide the largest stage in sports to showcase a city. Folks are moving to Charlotte for many reasons, one of which is the amenities, which includes the NFL. In short, it is a cool city to live partly because of the intangibles. On a relative basis, we are cheaper than northern cities. But, if folks are only concerned with cheap places to live, Greenville SC would be a top destination....it is not even the fastest growing city in SC and over the last decade has a terrible growth rate. So, the notion of people will flock here if we are cheap is not 100% true, we will not be a successful city with a Wal Mart sales pitch. And, without talent, companies WILL NOT move here. See the Greenville example again, their college population is very low, as a result, they are not getting top paying jobs as shown by their low average income level, even for SC.

Finally, the state just gave Met Life $119m. As I state before, this company has revenues of $68b annually and profits of $1.2b. So, you are concerned with an internet financial statement showing the Panthers made $100m over 2 years and Met Life makes $1.2b per year and received $119m in benefits. There is an incredible double standard here for you and WBTV. Or is it the "spoilt millionaire" effect of jealousy?

Old 03-09-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Who knows what was said behind those closed doors? As WBTV points out, there has been a huge lack of transparency. It's so bad that it took a site like Deadspin to bring it out into the open.
I think WBTV is being a little off balance in their reporting. They completely miss the irony that Met LIfe gets state money and makes at a minimum 12x the profits of the Panthers on an annual basis.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Actually Charlotte Motor Speedway was built without tax money. It's been constantly upgraded over the decades without it. It's a great example of a sports venue, that can easily handle 250,000 people, that was built without the need for public assistance.

The project that he is speaking about is the zMax Dragway that was built across the street from the Speedway. After construction began the Concord city council decided to stop the construction by rezoning the land to prevent its construction. When that happened, Smith threatened to close the entire Speedway down and move it to SC. The city council did a 180, reversed its decision on the rezoning, and tossed in a promise of $80M to sweeten the pot, to keep Smith in Concord. In other words, this mess was caused by city political meddling. Then as it turns out, I don't think Smith ever got the money. This is what he is referring to.

IMO, Smith is telling the truth. He has never held the government hostage for huge tax payouts for venue upgrades. He is an example of someone that shows that it can be done as the Speedway is far far more complex than either BofA Stadium or TWC Arena.
LOL..........I just read this. Smith would not hold a government hostage for money? That's funny, guess all of that talk about moving to SC was just mythical. Interesting that the street even has his name.........love it.

As for being more complex than an NFL stadium? Would love to understand why.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:29 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,995,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
You and WBTV are completely missing the point......
I recommend that you contact WBTV. I only stated what they reported.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I recommend that you contact WBTV. I only stated what they reported.
You seemed to agree so, I think you are both completely wrong.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:37 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,995,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
LOL..........I just read this. Smith would not hold a government hostage for money? That's funny, guess all of that talk about moving to SC was just mythical. Interesting that the street even has his name.........love it.

You absolutely did not read what I posted. He threatened to move when they changed zoning to stop his already started construction on Z-max speedway. Not once did he ask them for money to build this dragstrip. Also amazing that you didn't seem to notice this was about Z-Max dragway, not the Charlotte Motor Speedway. Finally Smith never received the money. For someone who claims to live here, you seem remarkably uninformed about things.

While we are at it, Smith has said that Richardson should sell the Panthers to him and that he would upgrade BofA stadium without any taxpayer money. You conveniently ignored that part of this particular conversation too. This alone disputes the need for the NFL to receive taxpayer money. How did you miss this when you were trolling my past posts on the matter?

You have a habit of seeing what you want to see, and not what was posted.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:01 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,401,882 times
Quote:
While we are at it, Smith has said that Richardson should sell the Panthers to him and that he would upgrade BofA stadium without any taxpayer money. You conveniently ignored that part of this particular conversation too. This alone disputes the need for the NFL to receive taxpayer money.
Whoever said it was a need? It's a want, and in the NFL (as well as professional sports in general) it is very common.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,681,174 times
tos
Quote:
our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-09-2013 at 09:58 AM..

Old 03-09-2013, 11:14 AM

15,367 posts, read 12,709,406 times
Smith said it on the radio... but when asked if he contacted Richardson or made any serious moves he "uhhh and ummmed" and admitted he had not. It was nothing more than a publicity stunt to get people to praise him. Yet, he spent half the interview calling people liars for not ponying up the 80 mill. If he had his way he wouldve taken the 80 mill and he was obviously bitter over it. It was nothing more than a Donald Trump tactic to get his name out and embarrass the other rich guy in town.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:

You absolutely did not read what I posted. He threatened to move when they changed zoning to stop his already started construction on Z-max speedway. Not once did he ask them for money to build this dragstrip. Also amazing that you didn't seem to notice this was about Z-Max dragway, not the Charlotte Motor Speedway. Finally Smith never received the money. For someone who claims to live here, you seem remarkably uninformed about things.

While we are at it, Smith has said that Richardson should sell the Panthers to him and that he would upgrade BofA stadium without any taxpayer money. You conveniently ignored that part of this particular conversation too. This alone disputes the need for the NFL to receive taxpayer money. How did you miss this when you were trolling my past posts on the matter?

You have a habit of seeing what you want to see, and not what was posted.
Bruton Smith loves to talk. He has threatened to move CMS many times if improvements were not made. I am actually surprised to see someone defend a billionaire.

I can't remember, did he get some tax breaks for not moving the track to SC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte