Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:16 AM

848 posts, read 1,120,582 times

Advertisements

....thoughts -- pros/cons.

...any other "crazy" ideas for Charlotte -- i.e. space needles, giant ferris wheels, 2040 Olympics, Uptown Belk flagship store?

From the fantasical to the mundane...what are your idea(s) / fantasy projects for the QC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 09:44 AM

601 posts, read 964,646 times
I would like:

A museum based on natural sciences.

An observation deck, on top of one of our skyscrapers. It would be a nice view, and I hear you can see the Appalachian Mountains from some of the tall buildings uptown, on a clear day. Maybe they could open the top floor of the Vue to the public.

More light rail in Charlotte. I would like to see a line out to the airport, and one through the southeast area of Charlotte. Spurs from the blue line that also connect to Southpark, Pineville, and Ballantyne. I also hope high-speed rail gets built in to Charlotte soon, and is eventually upgraded to even higher speeds.

A MLB team, but in about two decades. Same with a MLS team.

Google deploys their fiber-optic internet and tv service here. I would switch from Time Warner, and never look back. Also, their driver-less cars as well.

As far as major sporting events goes, I think we should try to host the PAN American Games. We are about the same size as Indianapolis was in 1987, and it could be a stepping stone to hosting the Olympics in the far future.

That's all I got for now.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:47 AM

529 posts, read 1,203,957 times
Lightbulb A river runs through it.

My dream for Charlotte metro is parks along the Catawba, similar to the miles of beautiful public areas that line both banks of the Colorado river in Austin, Texas.

It will never happen, but you did say fantasy/crazy ideas.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:00 PM

...every great thing starts with a "crazy" idea...some things are genuinely batty but most are not.

"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work."

When you visit places like Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Paris, London, Berlin, St. Petersburg, etc., etc. -- what sets some cities apart from the mediocre is vision and leaders who had the audacity to think "big". Although I disagree with him on most things, Pat McCrory was one such leader. Hugh McColl is another. Charlotte has "big" thinkers and our skyline, airport, light rail corridor, etc., -- frankly pretty stunning accomplishments for an MSA our size -- is a manifestation of "big" thinking.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
My dream for Charlotte metro is parks along the Catawba, similar to the miles of beautiful public areas that line both banks of the Colorado river in Austin, Texas.

It will never happen, but you did say fantasy/crazy ideas.
It only "never happens" when we say "never" my friend. Great idea!

Old 02-05-2013, 01:11 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
There was once a private proposal to build a very tall observation tower in Charlotte. I remember that a presentation was made to the city council. They were going to pay for it by selling shares to the local population. Unfortunately the plan ended up disappearing.

I'd like to see an attraction downtown, like maybe a world class ferris wheel (like the London Eye) what would appeal to all instead just sports. Charlotte's downtown is saturated with professional sports venues which have very limited appeal.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
There was once a private proposal to build a very tall observation tower in Charlotte. I remember that a presentation was made to the city council. They were going to pay for it by selling shares to the local population. Unfortunately the plan ended up disappearing.

I'd like to see an attraction downtown, like maybe a world class ferris wheel (like the London Eye) what would appeal to all instead just sports. Charlotte's downtown is saturated with professional sports venues which have very limited appeal.
Urban retail is viable, can be profitable and has fairly broad appeal.... I agree with Third Strike -- was hoping Duke Energy would have had an observation deck.

I think something interesting could go where the 210 Trade Tower was supposed to go at Epicenter. Maybe that's where the Charlotte Eye goes?

Last edited by urbanmyth; 02-05-2013 at 01:20 PM..

Old 02-05-2013, 01:17 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,502,271 times
if the local bars actually stocked Guinness for St. Patty's day. a tall order, I know, but I'm holding on to hope. crazier things have happened.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:21 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,611 times
I really like a lot of the ideas above

Old 02-05-2013, 02:21 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
if the local bars actually stocked Guinness for St. Patty's day. a tall order, I know, but I'm holding on to hope. crazier things have happened.
Huh?

Dixie's Tavern
http://www.blackfinncharlotte.com/pd...erage_menu.pdf

I'd drop dead from shock if Ri Ra and Fitzgerald's don't have it. There is also that place where Stool Pigeons used to be that has a metric ton of drafts.

http://www.edstavern.com/beerlist.pdf
Dilworth Neighborhood Grille has it.
http://www.duckworthsgrillandbar.com...Ballantyne.pdf

Given that a craphole like Whooli's Grill has Guiness now, I think that most everywhere has it. Nothing to do with Charlotte, but they even have it at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh (I was the only one buying it). It's gone mainstream for better or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte