Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Okay, FW.
But I am not surprised - that sort of drop showed up here too:

With Dilworth down from:
===
Aug. 2007 : $356,000
Aug. 2012 : $231,000
== that is:-$125,000 / -35.1%
Dec. 2012 : $236,000

How could New Bern avoid similar falls?
(A solvent New Bern condo owner can sell down, and move to Dilworth.)
I reckon there may now be some interesting bargains to be found, and that is one of the things attracting me to Charlotte.
Homes all over America (in hot spots) lost 30 to 50% of their value during the housing crash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 10:14 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,103,572 times
MOST WALKABLE neighborhoods in Charlotte

- 1 . : 86 : Cherry
- 2 . : 82 : Fourth Ward
- 3 . : 79 : First Ward
- 4 . : 78 : Downtown
- 5 . : 78 : Dilworth
- 6 . : 72 : Elizabeth
=====
OTHERS:
-17. : 60 : Wilmore
-18. : 59 : Plaza Midwood
-31. : 52 : Univ. City, North
-33. : 51 : Madison Park
-42. : 48 : Myers Park
=====
/source : Charlotte Neighborhoods | Walk Score

Can somebody tell me more about the "Cherry" neighborhood?
Or: Fourth and First ward, and/or Elizabeth?
=====

I think we are all of us getting on with the "proper focus" of this thread now,
and that is great, as far as I am concerned.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
This station doesn't look that hostile to me however, I'm not sure how busy it is during rush hour.
It is not the STATION that is hostile.
It is the fast moving traffic around it. An all that parking space detroys any "sense of space" which would leave pedestrians wanting to be there for any reason other than catching the train.

Do you prefer that station to this one ?:

In which of them would you rather wait for a train?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:29 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,973,504 times
Quote:
I'd rather have the Scaleybark station when the plan I gave you the link to is built. It's far superior on a human scale than that cold mass of stainless steel and glass.

Certainly you have to agree the Scaleybark Station plan is far far superior.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:31 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
It is not the STATION that is hostile.
It is the fast moving traffic around it. An all that parking space detroys any "sense of space" which would leave pedestrians wanting to be there for any reason other than catching the train.

Do you prefer that station to this one ?:

Did you see any fast moving traffic in that photo?

Why would we build a station that big for a stop that small? That is wasteful spending. The stations with the most pedestrians looks like this:

There is no need for huge station projects like you provided for a city our size.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:44 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,978,848 times
Isn't part of the funding for the Northeast Extnesion also including expansion of the south line stops to support three-car trains?

I think Charlotte could already justify running double trains at all times. When they run singles, I refer to them mentally as "here comes the clown car" and we all stuff ourselves onto it. Maybe they need to run singles though some of the time, to allow for maintenance scheduling.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:50 PM

As far as Scaleybark station goes: Yes the area feels dilapidated. Investors have bought out various businesses around there, and the vacant lots and unmaintained (remaining) buildings housing pawn shops are obviously not what the city envisioned for the area.

But the New Bern developments are only half a mile away. Scaleybark will turn over when the market is ready.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 PM

WALKSCORES for the Park & Ride stations

(Park and Ride stations)
+ WS-52 : Scaleybark (Whitton St., York Road)
+ WS-66 : Woodlawn (Sterling Dr., Collingwood)
+ WS-66 : Tyvola (Grover Rd., Montclaire South)
+ WS-52 : Archdale (Ingleside Dr., Starmount)
+ WS-47 : Arrowood (Starmount Cove, Starmount Forest)
+ WS-35 : Sharon Rd West (Maggie Ln., Starmount Forest)
+ WS-57 : I-485/ South Blvd (I-485 station, Sterling)
======
/see Route: LYNX Stations and Parking

These scores suggest that I should not ignore the areas around: Woodlawn and Tyvola.

Even I-485 scores quite well

Old 02-14-2013, 07:47 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Quote:
I also like mixed use developments with shops on the ground floor, and residential housing above. Birkdale Villlage has that, and so will this new development called Riverwalk in Rock Hill SC, which looks good to my eyes:

Do Carolinians like this sort of mixed use development?
Thanks for sharing this, I've driven by that area but didn't really know what the exact plan was. But while it looks nice, I would still estimate that 95% of the people that live there (and Birkdale for that matter) would still own cars. And a good portion of them would probably work in NC...

Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 PM

Scaleybark is about as far out on the line you can go and feel "close" to uptown. I've ridden the train many times since it opened five years ago, and parked at every station that has parking.

If I leave my car at Scaleybark, it still feels a bit too distant to just hop on the train and go back out there, drive my car on an errand, and return to catch the train again, and continue to work. I've done this a few times and it just doesn't fit into a lunch hour.

Scaleybark may be close enough that when townhomes are built near it, someone could feel like heading home to change clothes, or grab some item that was left behind and needed for work, without interrupting the day.

That said, it takes about as much time to walk from the middle of uptown out to the fringe parking near 277 as it does to take the train to Scaleybark.

I'm sure development will come to the stations farther out. It's still a quick ride into the center city, and omits the hassle of parking there. But they're too far out to feel like "immediate" access is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte