Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 03:48 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times

Advertisements

Christmasville in Rock Hill - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 07:05 AM

125 posts, read 376,047 times
Used to live in Clemmons right beside Tanglewood Park and the light show is incredible. Haven't been there since we moved but thinking it would be a great trip to do and see some old friends as well-the Old Girl scout song-"Make new friends but keep the old, some are Silver and the others Gold" (I know a little "drippy", but the Silver and Gold is Christmasy)

Heard this morning on my favorite radio station, 106.1, that the Botanical Gardens Chritsmas show was neat and has a Maze for the children (Big Kids too)

Went to the Siberian Orchestra last year. I was under the impression that it was more "orchestral" Christmas Music, but it is more Rock-LOUD Christmas tunes with lots of light effects. Very good though just a heads up since it was not what I was expecting.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:33 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Default The littlest angel at the Charlotte Children's Theatre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlodonnell View Post
We've decided to spend Christmas break in North Carolina (more specifically the Charlotte area and head to the coast maybe)- want to spend some time there before we decide if we want to make an eventual move. We would LOVE any suggestions. There are 5 of us- hubby and I, 8 y.o. boy, 6 y.o. girl and 2 y.o. boy. We will get there probably on the 23rd, so especially looking for a couple of holiday things to do. Thanks!!!
If you are coming early in the day on the 23rd, you may be able to catch the last performance of "The littlest angel" at the Charlotte Children's Theatre. Most of the malls decorate for Christmas and we used to love to go through them with our children to see their eyes light up.

McAdenville is a must see. Our children loved it and as I said in another post, wear warm clothing and open you car windows so they can hear the sounds also. We usually drive through and then turn around and catch the other direction. Our children are 35 and 41 and they still suggest that we go there when they come home for Christmas.

We like to just drive through the Charlotte neighborhoods, such as Myers Park to see the older homes decorated. We usually take a ride uptown this time of year. Things change so much from year to year in this area. As a lot of single posters have said, "Charlotte is a family city."

Old 11-30-2007, 12:26 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,909,641 times
A few comments on what's been posted plus a little more:

Winston-Salem
is magical at this time of year. My kids loved it when they were young. I still love it.

One of my favorite places is the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden where they have the orchid tree - a Christmas tree made from orchids. The gardens are lit at this time of year too. Here's what they say at their website: (www.DSBG>org)

"The entrance, main gardens and Visitor Pavilion will be illuminated with more than 350,000 lights. Visitors can stroll through the light display, as well as enjoy hot chocolate, baked goodies, and miniature mule team cart rides on a nightly basis. The Robert Lee Stowe Visitor Pavilion will be decorated in holiday finery, including a Christmas tree made from live orchids. Trees decorated by local school children will also add to the festivity of the Visitor Pavilion. The Four Seasons Garden will be reflective of a Victorian holiday while the mule team becomes a tribute to holidays on the American Frontier."

I agree that the mountains are great at this time of year. You might look into Roan Mountain State Park in Tennessee ( just at the NC - TN border) which is not far from Charlotte and has wonderful cozy cabins with wood stoves for rent. I don't know if you'll still be able to reserve one this late, but it's worth a telephone call.

Roan Mountain
State Park

1015 Hwy 143
Roan Mountain , TN 37687
423-772-0190
1-800-250-8620

Last edited by BarbJ; 11-30-2007 at 12:46 PM..

Old 11-30-2007, 09:11 PM

56 posts, read 221,382 times
McAdenville is great fun. We rent a limo and take our family and friends through. The kids hang out the windows and ohhh and ahhhh. We do stop and get out take pictures and walk around. Then we get back in the limo, for hot chocolate and watch It's A Wonderful Life on the way home. It has become a tradition that my kids almost look forward to more than Christmas itself. They are 3,9 & 11. The limo just lets the usual driver get a view of lights other than the break lights of the car in front of them, and it is sorta special family time. There are many limo services that offer specials to "Christmas Town USA" because it is a short trip.

In South Charlotte, at the Hunter Farm, they have sleigh rides and visits with Santa(he is a great one too), fresh trees and tea and coco. It is a real farm, so they have the animals out and reindeer too! That is fun, and not far from the city.

Another fun thing that we do is we go to the Columbia, SC zoo (Riverbanks Zoo) for Lights at the Zoo. It is fun about 1hr 20mins away. My kids love that. Some of the animals are out and there is just something magical about being in a zoo at night with all those lights, merry go round, bonfires with marshmellows...just good fun!

I am a beach person, although I also love the mountains. I never turn down a trip to the beach, and if your considering moving here you need to check them out. If you follow 74 east to Wilmington, you will get a lovely city with museums, more Christmas activity and a beach. Wrightsville Beach NC is located 15 mins from Wilmington and offers a friendly family beach. Going to the beach in the winter is a great time to shell and walk and play and then boom....over to Wilmington for the USS Wilmington battleship, the Childrens Museum, the Railroad museum, shopping in the old cotton mill, art galleries, great restaurants, oh..and the historical homes tour...beautiful this time of year.

There is lots to do here, you will have a great time and be a little warmer too!
Enjoy!

Old 11-30-2007, 11:15 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancymom4 View Post
Used to live in Clemmons right beside Tanglewood Park and the light show is incredible. Haven't been there since we moved but thinking it would be a great trip to do and see some old friends as well-the Old Girl scout song-"Make new friends but keep the old, some are Silver and the others Gold" (I know a little "drippy", but the Silver and Gold is Christmasy)
I grew up in the Triad and incredible is a great word to describe The Festival of Lights. My favorite displays are the reindeer that "jump" over your car, the horse prancing in the field and the golfer. I love watching the "ball" fly by.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:00 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Wow Youtube has everything! Here's some videos I found of the Festival of Lights in Tanglewood. Ahh..I'm getting nostalgic.

Video #1

Video#2

Old 12-01-2007, 10:35 AM

56 posts, read 221,382 times
Okay NCGirl...that was cool! How far is Tanglewood from Charlotte?

Old 12-01-2007, 10:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
It about hour and 20 minutes to hour 45 minutes and not to far from Hanes Mall one of the oldest largest malls in this state.
Forsyth County > Tanglewood Park > Festival of Lights (http://www.forsyth.cc/tanglewood/fol_info.aspx - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte