Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 08:32 AM

11 posts, read 13,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by etjudge View Post
Charlotte is nice. Have you looked at Raleigh, NC also? You cannot go wrong with either city.
I actually have. In fact, we took a ride out there a few years ago & we liked it. I've heard Raleigh doesn't have that "city" feel like Charlotte does. Is this true at all? My sister in law & her husband are moving to Fort Bragg this summer & Raleigh is closer to them than Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 AM

328 posts, read 616,385 times
I think "city feel" can be interpreted in a few different ways, but I do know what you mean. The CLT region is diverse - urban in its center, suburban in the surrounding neighborhoods and towns, and rural further out. Raleigh is a fantastic city, but in my experience the downtown is a little quieter (not a judgement, just an observation). When you are in Uptown CLT, though it is small, you feel like you are truly in an urban space.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:00 PM

I agree. What we're looking for is diversity. That's what we've been used to all of our lives. If we were to make the move, we'd be leaving our families behind so to have to do that & live in a very suburban area would make it too hard for us to adapt.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:10 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braybraysmomma View Post
... I've heard Raleigh doesn't have that "city" feel like Charlotte does. Is this true at all? ...
This isn't true. The downtown city area has a thriving business district, it's the state capital, and a major NC University, NC State is also right in downtown. There are plenty of state museums, shopping and so forth. There are a lot of things to like about it that Charlotte has not done right.

I would not call Ft. Bragg commutable to Raleigh. If I remember right, it's at least an hour or more drive away. Most people in that area consider Fayetteville to be the local city.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:15 AM

328 posts, read 616,385 times
I agree with the person who said you can't go wrong in CLT or Raleigh - both are really fantastic and livable cities with a lot to offer. In my experience, that's one of the greatest assets of NC cities - the fact that they are so livable (i.e. navigable, big and bright, with a low cost of living compared to similarly sized cities in other states). I think that frewroad is right in that Raleigh certainly has a lot going for it. I also feel that CLT is (fairly rapidly) achieving the type of cultural identity that a lot of folks claimed it lacked a few years back. For example, the museums in CLT are really top-notch in my opinion and they are located in a great Uptown spot in really beautiful new buildings. And there is a distinct arts and cultural resurgence in a lot of the surrounding towns as well.

You'd do well in either place, and I'm sure you'll be welcomed warmly.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:05 AM

This information is incredibly helpful! When my husband & I visited Raleigh a few years ago, we did like it & even considered moving out there. We just couldn't leave our families behind. Now that we have our son, we have to think of his future & now is the best time to start thinking about it. Fort Bragg is about an hour and a half from Raleigh, which is a lot better than an eight-nine hour drive to our families here in Jersey lol

Old 03-20-2013, 01:49 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braybraysmomma View Post
I've heard Raleigh doesn't have that "city" feel like Charlotte does. Is this true at all?
Charlotte feels like more of a big city because it truly is. It's even more palpable in the urban core with amenities like light rail, the cultural campus, major league pro sports, etc. Raleigh's downtown gives you a city feel, and it's certainly been improving, but not to the extent of Charlotte IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte