Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 09:28 AM

189 posts, read 333,958 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend just moved from Marsh Properties duplex's in Sedgefield but they were month to month. The 2bdr option she had was $750/month. They don't have dishwashers and it was about 800 square feet. But for 6 months it may be a viable option. It is a little further from the University area but not too far from 77.

Sedgefield Cottage Apartments by Marsh Properties
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 10:17 AM

642 posts, read 1,170,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Then there are the landlords who will hold you accountable for the remainder of the lease term provided they make a good faith effort to rerent the property. Sometimes it is immediate. Others it can take a few months to find a suitable and qualified tenant. In this case you are responsible for the rent even though you aren't there. Do not bail on a lease. A landlord can file a Complaint for Money Owed and slam the brakes on your new home purchase. No lender is going to write a loan if you're being sued. You are possibly going to have to increase your budget in order to find a good property with a short term lease.

As far as dogs...well, "my" dog never tears anything up/pees on the floor etc. We hear this All the time when dealing with applicants. Your dog may be the best dog ever but don't plan on a LL taking your word for it. But there will be damage of some sort caused by the dog. If not damage proper, there will most likely be the additional cost in removing hair or odors. And you my not notice the odor but it could very well be there. You never know if the next tenant has a pet allergy so we have to be more careful about cleaning up after tenants with pets.
All of this I 100% agree with. A really good point about getting sued.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:57 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holacandita View Post
I do appreciate that *most* landlords are not keen on month to month or short-term leases, but I was curious if there were ANY that were okay with it. ....
Landlords don't like it because there are always turnover costs when re-renting a place plus lost income while nobody lives in it. It can have a serious impact on cash flow. The only time I can see where a landlord would consider it, would be if they could get a significantly higher month to month rate than they could by having someone sign a binding lease. Vacation rentals fall into this category, but there isn't much of this here in Charlotte.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:23 PM

136 posts, read 390,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandguy811 View Post
My girlfriend just moved from Marsh Properties duplex's in Sedgefield but they were month to month. The 2bdr option she had was $750/month. They don't have dishwashers and it was about 800 square feet. But for 6 months it may be a viable option. It is a little further from the University area but not too far from 77.

Sedgefield Cottage Apartments by Marsh Properties
Thanks clevelandguy, I will keep this in mind when we're ready. I'm lucky enough that my boyfriend is a great dishwasher so I'm okay without one

Old 05-06-2013, 04:21 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,655,161 times
It would be worth calling around - I know you were hoping to avoid that with this thread! But places that advertise one year leases will often provide shorter terms, for higher monthly rent. I did do a search on socialserve for short term leases, something OK might be there. On a quick glance, most of those are in not-so-great areas, but I didn't look that closely.

Charlotte rentals, short term lease

Old 05-06-2013, 04:30 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
On the subject of "dogs". I would narrow my pool of renters by 60% if I did not rent to people with dogs. Of course I say all the usual LL things about "big dogs...no", "dobermans...my ins. co says no" and all the rest. The fact of the matter is I don't like renting with dogs BUT it is what it is and I try to ease the pain as follows:

1. My pet deposit of $250 is non refundable. No if ands or buts. No damage...still no return.
2. I look at the dog owner and listen carefully as to what kind of renter this person will be and generally the "dog issue" will work out.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:44 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
The larger companies that owns several properties will have 3,6 and 9 months at a higher rate. Try Camden, Colonial etc. They should have something in the area. Also with the university there, I would think they would have summer only leases before the students come back in the fall? I would ask there. I also agree with the other posters and suggest you rent for a year to really see which area you would prefer. Plus now there is a slight demand which drives prices up. I would wait till it comes down a bit.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:09 AM

2,778 posts, read 5,166,000 times
You are in a tough spot with 6 month lease and a dog, prepare to pay more for a decent place.
In my experience it is at least 15% more a month for a shorter 6 months lease.
Good luck!

Old 05-06-2013, 06:12 AM

2,778 posts, read 5,166,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Then there are the landlords who will hold you accountable for the remainder of the lease term provided they make a good faith effort to rerent the property. Sometimes it is immediate. Others it can take a few months to find a suitable and qualified tenant. In this case you are responsible for the rent even though you aren't there. Do not bail on a lease. A landlord can file a Complaint for Money Owed and slam the brakes on your new home purchase. No lender is going to write a loan if you're being sued. You are possibly going to have to increase your budget in order to find a good property with a short term lease.

As far as dogs...well, "my" dog never tears anything up/pees on the floor etc. We hear this All the time when dealing with applicants. Your dog may be the best dog ever but don't plan on a LL taking your word for it. But there will be damage of some sort caused by the dog. If not damage proper, there will most likely be the additional cost in removing hair or odors. And you my not notice the odor but it could very well be there. You never know if the next tenant has a pet allergy so we have to be more careful about cleaning up after tenants with pets.
Good post.
Also a dog is many times detrimental to attracting or keeping other tenants in the building due to barking, etc.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:51 AM

277 posts, read 661,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
On the subject of "dogs". I would narrow my pool of renters by 60% if I did not rent to people with dogs. Of course I say all the usual LL things about "big dogs...no", "dobermans...my ins. co says no" and all the rest. The fact of the matter is I don't like renting with dogs BUT it is what it is and I try to ease the pain as follows:

1. My pet deposit of $250 is non refundable. No if ands or buts. No damage...still no return.
2. I look at the dog owner and listen carefully as to what kind of renter this person will be and generally the "dog issue" will work out.
Not trying to hijack the thread, but just wondering how you handle the non-refundable pet deposit for renewals? My current tenants are at the end of a 2 year lease, and was thinking of adding back another pet deposit on the renewal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte