Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:58 AM

396 posts, read 1,434,777 times

Advertisements

We tip 15-20% in restaurants, & more if the service is exemplary. We also tip the hair salon folks about 10%. Off the top of my head, those are the only times I tip (except on vacation with the bellhops and transportation).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 10:02 AM

674 posts, read 804,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contreras-21 View Post
I know here in Ca the basic rule to follow is to just double the tax on the reciept and leave that as a tip at a resturant. (tax rate being 8.25%)
I have noticed that in several resturants I've been to that people in NC don't tip very well. ( Just an observance)
So my questions is if it customary to tip in the South or not?
Just curious; I will actually leave more if the sevice is outstanding and less if not up to our expectations.
Are there any simple rules to follow here as I described above?
Thanks
OK clearly you all do not understand the point of this thread:

DO YOU LEAVE HOLIDAY TIPS?

This is not about regular tipping, but about giving advice on holiday tipping.

Who should get a holiday tip IMO?

Hairdresser (I give mine $40, the price of a haircut)
Nannies/child care practitioners
Maids
Anyone else who does regular work for you at your home/business (if you own the business)
Your employees (some people give one week's salary as a holiday bonus)
And that's it.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:03 AM

396 posts, read 1,434,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post

Maids
Anyone else who does regular work for you at your home/business (if you own the business)
And that's it.

OOPS. I didn't mean to continue going off topic... We Holiday tip hairdressers and housekeeper.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:17 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,069 times
The mail carrier? Seriously? Holy crap people in this country are too damn tip crazy.

To answer the question: No, I do not tip the mail carrier. I will never tip the mail carrier.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:20 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,425,454 times
Quote:
I know here in Ca the basic rule to follow is to just double the tax on the reciept and leave that as a tip at a resturant. (tax rate being 8.25%)
I have noticed that in several resturants I've been to that people in NC don't tip very well. ( Just an observance)
So my questions is if it customary to tip in the South or not?
Just curious; I will actually leave more if the sevice is outstanding and less if not up to our expectations.
Are there any simple rules to follow here as I described above?
Thanks
Yes, I've lived in 4 different cities up north, here, and in Florida. Tipping is no different here that I've noticed.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:43 PM

182 posts, read 824,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post

Maids
And that's it.
I'm really loving correcting you; the topic of the thread was not "do you leave holiday tips?" oh, excuse me "DO YOU LEAVE HOLIDAY TIPS?"
The topic was tipping the mail carrier and then the question was asked what is customary, so no, I was not off topic by asking what is customary in a resturant.
I interpeted the thread as what is customary, so no, we all don't have it wrong.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:47 PM

628 posts, read 2,078,260 times
I always tip garbage men and mail carriers....however this year my garbage service is A+++ , but my mail??? My magazines and packages are sporadic at best!! No tip for the USPS this year.....My Mailwoman STINKS!!!!!

Old 11-05-2007, 06:24 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,706 times
Default The most unkind and sarcastic poster

quote=ncisgreat;1916798]OK clearly you all do not understand the point of this thread:

[/quote]

NCISGREAT, I wonder if your harsh sarcasm offends other people the way it offends me? I don't understand your need to be so rude to other posters. To disagree with you is to expect an unpleasant put-down in a return post. What's up with you? I'm asking a sincere question. In my two or more months of frequenting this forum, your name has jumped out as its most unpleasant poster. Is there something that I, as a relatively new poster, don't understand going on?

Contreras has not yet moved here from California and was obviously trying to get information about Charlotte. What a welcome you gave her!

I guess I should wait for your return blast.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I'm really loving correcting you; the topic of the thread was not "do you leave holiday tips?" oh, excuse me "DO YOU LEAVE HOLIDAY TIPS?"
The topic was tipping the mail carrier and then the question was asked what is customary, so no, I was not off topic by asking what is customary in a resturant.
I interpeted the thread as what is customary, so no, we all don't have it wrong.
Anytime you want to re-read the original post to improve your reading comprehension for the benefit of all posters, go for it.

Here it is, bro:
Quote:
Do people around here tip the Mail Carrier at Christmas, Easter, etc.? It has been a LONG time since I have lived in a house and had a regular Mail Carrier. Back in PA, we would always give the guy a tip on holidays.

What's the custom around here?
There are lots of other threads about tipping in Charlotte, the search feature will show you those. They are pretty helpful.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
NCISGREAT, I wonder if your harsh sarcasm offends other people the way it offends me? I don't understand your need to be so rude to other posters. To disagree with you is to expect an unpleasant put-down in a return post. What's up with you? I'm asking a sincere question. In my two or more months of frequenting this forum, your name has jumped out as its most unpleasant poster. Is there something that I, as a relatively new poster, don't understand going on?

Contreras has not yet moved here from California and was obviously trying to get information about Charlotte. What a welcome you gave her!

I guess I should wait for your return blast.
I'll reply to you the minute you learn to properly use the quote button.

Oh, and that is a bit off-topic, it really belongs on another thread. We could start an "I hate ncisgreat" thread on the General Boards, I am cool with that.

Now, back to holiday mail carrier tipping.....

Last edited by ncisgreat; 11-05-2007 at 07:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte