Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:45 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,911,764 times

Advertisements

I only tip my hairdresser and servers in restaurants on every visit. The only person I tip at Christmas is my cleaning lady to whom I give a donation for her daughter's school tuition I don't tip mail carriers and garbagemen because I don't get to know them - they change too often. Nor do I tip the Charlotte Observer carrier because he throws the paper in my flower bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 08:33 PM

56 posts, read 221,509 times
I always tip my postlady. She has been the same for the past 10years. We play outside a lot...so she has seen my kids grow up. I know her grandkids live in SC, and I know when she is on vacation or sick, because we have a sub. I do tip with cookies & money, tis the season anyway, right? I tip the trash man & recycle too, the yard man too. I always have the best service people, maybe the tip is why?

I don't tip when I don't get good service though. A tip is a supplement for good service, it is not a requirement!

: )

Old 11-05-2007, 08:44 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Do people around here tip the Mail Carrier at Christmas, Easter, etc.? It has been a LONG time since I have lived in a house and had a regular Mail Carrier. Back in PA, we would always give the guy a tip on holidays.

What's the custom around here?
We only tip our mailcarrier at Christmas time and not at any other holiday. Usually with a gift card to somewhere like Target, Walmart, Lowe's etc. We never give cash.
Hope this helps.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:30 AM

54 posts, read 156,746 times
Default I like ncisgreat...

I agree with Barb that ncisgreat can be a little bit much too take, but I also appreciate the honesty and the critical thinking that comes along with some of these threads. I mean come on... how boring would it be (and utterly useless) to get on the computer and read the same nice quotes all day long.

As long as people are following the rules, then they should be allowed to give their opinions.

As for me and tipping I do tip the mail carrier whether it is "earned" or not. Why? It's called grace. Giving someone something they maybe don't deserve...a $20.00 gift certificate...I spend that on coffee.

Sometimes it nice to make someone's day...

Old 11-06-2007, 10:02 AM

182 posts, read 825,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
Anytime you want to re-read the original post to improve your reading comprehension for the benefit of all posters, go for it.

Here it is, bro:

There are lots of other threads about tipping in Charlotte, the search feature will show you those. They are pretty helpful.
Bro-
For your information, my reading comprehension is fantastic and your sarcasim and rudeness is unfortunate.
AGAIN, even in what was included in your quote asked "what is customary" from the original poster....that was the point in my opinion; I only asked what was customary and the title was not holiday tipping so maybe you should re-read it.
I have encountered many nice people on this thread and everybodies contribution has been helpful, even yours.
I wonder if you encountered me on the street and I asked for directions, if you be as rude as you have been in this post and others.
Have a nice day and Karma does work in mysterious ways.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:28 AM

674 posts, read 805,087 times
"what is customary".....FOR HOLIDAY TIPPING.

Who on earth do you possibly know who has ever in their life tipped a mailman on a day other than a holiday?

But if you want to talk about regular tipping on a thread about holiday tipping, knock yourself out. This is, after all, an informational forum.

But one more time for giggles:
Quote:
Do people around here tip the Mail Carrier at Christmas, Easter, etc.? It has been a LONG time since I have lived in a house and had a regular Mail Carrier. Back in PA, we would always give the guy a tip on holidays.

What's the custom around here?

Old 11-06-2007, 10:50 AM

182 posts, read 825,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
"what is customary".....FOR HOLIDAY TIPPING.

Who on earth do you possibly know who has ever in their life tipped a mailman on a day other than a holiday?

But if you want to talk about regular tipping on a thread about holiday tipping, knock yourself out. This is, after all, an informational forum.

But one more time for giggles:
Let's just hope you put as much effort into what's important in life as you do in trying to prove yourself right....I am laughing right now so thanks for the giggles!

Old 11-06-2007, 12:29 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
I forgot what a "hot" topic tipping is! I agree that tipping is over used but I wanted to make sure my mail doesn't wind up at the bottom of a sewer drain because everyone else on the block tipped and I didn't.

I LOLed at the flame war.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:53 PM

716 posts, read 2,159,086 times
I tip the service people if they're someone I have a social relationship with. For example, I shop at home a lot, so the last place we lived I would see the same UPS guy several times a month. He would lug all my crap up the two flights of stairs without a complaint. Sometimes he'd stop and chat. He was a nice guy and deserved something extra at holiday time.

The mailman? Community mailbox, never saw them. Everything was always delivered to the wrong box anyway. (Something I'm finding is the case here too!)
The trash collectors? Never met them.
You get the idea.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:01 AM

259 posts, read 1,182,168 times
Seeing as my mail carrier is the same every day and goes out of her way I might do something for her for the holiday but I doubt it would be money. She knocks on my door when leaving package on my doorstep, and I can count on her to put postage on letters if I leave the money in the mailbox occasionally.

But to tip them as a rule? No way. The STARTING salary for the city carriers in this area is well over 32K a year. That might not seem like a ton of money but when you consider guaranteed union raises just about every year then its a good living for the work involved. I would imagine the average person comes in contact with tons of people every day who make LESS than $10.00/hr and never think about tipping them; the girl working at the shoe store running back and forth trying to find your size, people who work at retailers that receive no commision like Best Buy etc.

The kind of tip that always comes back to you tenfold is tipping the garbagemen, not nessesarily at the holidays but whenever you leave a ton of stuff at the curb. Cookies, baked goods, something that will make them remember that house. I hid a case of beer amidst the rubble of my kitchen revovation that I piled at the curb, and since I have never had a problem with them not picking ANYTHING up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte