Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 03:40 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times

Advertisements

Ehhh... I wouldnt fight the tax cutting, wasteful spending crowd. They have an agenda and its cut, cut, cut... Not saying they are wrong on this issue but its usually the same answers in every debate.

I wonder what the cost to go from county to county is versus one convention.

cities have convention centers for a reason. Im pretty sure gathering at one event makes more sense financially. Mechanics can meet from different regions, give different advice on how they solve problems and it probably builds moral as well. Every time Ive gone to a convention we always come back rejuvinated with new ideas and a little pep in our step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 03:53 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,761,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Ehhh... I wouldnt fight the tax cutting, wasteful spending crowd. They have an agenda and its cut, cut, cut... Not saying they are wrong on this issue but its usually the same answers in every debate.

I wonder what the cost to go from county to county is versus one convention.

cities have convention centers for a reason. Im pretty sure gathering at one event makes more sense financially. Mechanics can meet from different regions, give different advice on how they solve problems and it probably builds moral as well. Every time Ive gone to a convention we always come back rejuvinated with new ideas and a little pep in our step.
You're right but I'll probably pull the facts just out of curiosity. Since the OP has 20 years experience with the group and he apparently doesn't like what they are doing, I think there's more to the story than saving money.

Mechanic training seems to be a big part of this though it's not mentioned in the OP. Same with the connections to UNC and the probability that this association is one of the state and has its own mandates.

And yeah I thought of that too. The value of stepping out of the box and talking to people in similar positions but different experiences. Also, having it remotely takes local distractions out of the way. "My daughter just called and she missed her ride home from soccer practice so I need to cut out" isn't going to happen.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:41 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
NCPTA online

have links to the conference and the matrix if what's being offered. I still maintain that it's cheaper for cms to hire the experts and host a day workshop here.
Another advantage to bringing the instructors in is that many more local employees get the benefits of the seminar/class. I've been on both ends of travel for these things, and I've always found I get more out of it if it's not part of a party free for all, as these things often are. Even when tasked with bringing back the info for other employees, it seldom happens on a useful level.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:55 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,201,358 times
It dont make a didley squat to me if people dont think CMS waste money..I know I got my well earned share...thanks taxpayers....I retired with FULL benefits and am happy to know that at least that money is well spent...Guess you cant control every dime..thanks charlotte

Old 06-15-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
It dont make a didley squat to me if people dont think CMS waste money..I know I got my well earned share...thanks taxpayers....I retired with FULL benefits and am happy to know that at least that money is well spent...Guess you cant control every dime..thanks charlotte
You are welcome... I dont see anything wrong with retiring with full benefits if that is what was in the contract.

The only issue I have is all the complaining now that you got yours... nothing worse than hearing someone whine after the fact. I doubt you were complaining while you worked there.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:28 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,761,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I doubt you were complaining while you worked there.
What? No bitter government employees?

Old 06-16-2013, 05:29 AM

106 posts, read 193,930 times
Retired teachers have the right to complain about wasteful spending as much as everyone else. High taxes hit retirees more than anyone else. It's a silly argument to bring into a topic about CMS wasting tax dollars. But then again that happens when there isn't a real defense for sending bus drivers to a gold resort at the beach.

IMO, beating up on school teachers is just wrong. They do a remarkable often thankless job despite the conditions placed on them by both parents and CMS administration. If CMS wanted to send a few people to the beach, this would be the only group, IMO they should pick from.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:55 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,275,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cltlilly View Post
Retired teachers have the right to complain about wasteful spending as much as everyone else. High taxes hit retirees more than anyone else. It's a silly argument to bring into a topic about CMS wasting tax dollars. But then again that happens when there isn't a real defense for sending bus drivers to a gold resort at the beach.

IMO, beating up on school teachers is just wrong. They do a remarkable often thankless job despite the conditions placed on them by both parents and CMS administration. If CMS wanted to send a few people to the beach, this would be the only group, IMO they should pick from.
I don't have a problem with expense hawking or scrutiny of government entities. However I do find it remarkable that people tend to think it isn't being effectively done and began to cherrypick or priortize on what's in fact justifiable or frivolous.

In my opinion, the two most important components of the public education system are the quality of people delivering the education and the transportation safety of the kids. Imagine the public outcry regarding a series of preventable accidents or incidents that threatened the lives of kids...what is the value? No one is advocating a blank check but there's a fine line between what is considered "waste" and prudent spending.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cltlilly View Post

Unless its called the Gold Resort I dont see anything shiny about a hotel where the rooms are $100.

..and my wife, mother in law, sister and 3 aunts are educators... none of them scrutinize the perks mechanics get while bragging about their benefits.

If Im bashing anything its the "Now that I got mine, lets look at the books" mentality of the OP.

..and yes, bashing teachers is low.. especially when the accusation is a figment of ones imagination.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:57 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I don't have a problem with expense hawking or scrutiny of government entities. However I do find it remarkable that people tend to think it isn't being effectively done and began to cherrypick or priortize on what's in fact justifiable or frivolous.

In my opinion, the two most important components of the public education system are the quality of people delivering the education and the transportation safety of the kids. Imagine the public outcry regarding a series of preventable accidents or incidents that threatened the lives of kids...what is the value? No one is advocating a blank check but there's a fine line between what is considered "waste" and prudent spending.
If the CMS transportation had a high rate of accidents and issues, I could see why a safety course would be prudent. And to host it here locally so that all drivers may attend. Or a common engine problem which would allow mechanics to fix more cost effectively, then hosting a workshop here so that all mechanics may attend.

I never suggested moving the entire conference here, that's just plain silly. And from that list of courses, I am sure the members that are going are only going to attend what pertains to them. I was suggesting that they take the few courses that are going to be attended at the conference can be hosted here so that all may attend without the frivolous costs of beachside rooms/amenities etc. But of course we will all differ in opinions. And what details that can be gleaned from the site and CMS, it's a public institution thus open to scrutiny and opinions. If there was full disclosure, perhaps there would be less conjectures/guesses. Till full disclosure, this is the best it's going to get. People assuming the best from it and people assuming the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte