Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:36 PM

32 posts, read 97,763 times

Advertisements

I don't know why but people seem to think Charlotte is more like a northeastern city because of uptown but it still has southern charm and it's nothing like cities in the North and once you relax for a moment you will be reminded that you are in a city in the South. It bugs me when people say it has more in common with the North because of the skyscrapers and people from different states but it has a town feel like other cities in the South and there are even some natives with southern accents. It even has a hot, southern summer.

Last edited by MusicLover128; 06-18-2013 at 09:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 03:32 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
I don't know how you do that seeing as there are those of us who are natives who think it could be Anywhere, USA. It could be Des Moines, other than the weather.

Charlotte doesn't feel that Southern any longer. So maybe you are fighting a losing battle, lol.

I don't get your reference to "uptown" being what makes Charlotte seem like a "northeastern city," though. No way it would be mistaken for Boston, for ex.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:30 AM

162 posts, read 217,343 times
Remind them that:
1. Theres little hope of urbanization
2. People will freak out over small instances of crime
3. Last call will still be incredibly early
4. Churches are big theres [very big and have quite a bit of influence] (despite the diversity claim)
5. Downtown has a limit to how big it will get [even being contained by 277 it doesn't even use all of the space]
6. Zero luck at getting public transport to solve the issue of drunk driving [marta doesn't even do a great job at that]
7. Very little luck at expanding the train lines
8. Don't expect there to be people doing non-work stuff on Sun-Tues nights. [Night life and or drinking related]
9. People still expect the rural life style
10. Taxies are as expensive as they are else where

Pluses:
1. Its not so cold in the winter?

Old 06-19-2013, 06:43 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
As long as Charlotte is in the south it's a southern city but you aren't going to see Gone With The Wind wardrobes or guys spitting into cans in the middle of Uptown.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
As long as Charlotte is in the south it's a southern city but you aren't going to see Gone With The Wind wardrobes or guys spitting into cans in the middle of Uptown.
You can see NASCAR HoF and museums that cover various "Southern" topics . . . you can find some Southern-style "home cooking" -- if you seek it out . . .

Old 06-19-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You can see NASCAR HoF and museums that cover various "Southern" topics . . . you can find some Southern-style "home cooking" -- if you seek it out . . .
AS long as this place has fried pickles it will be a southern city IMO.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
AS long as this place has fried pickles it will be a southern city IMO.
lololol. you know, that is something I never heard of except here in Charlotte, until a few years ago. I have never tried them and don't consider it basic Southern cuisine, at all.

Now, pickles themselves . . . NC is the largest packager of pickles in the USA, I think. Pretty sure I am right on that (haven't check on that stat in a while).

You would think Charlotte would have some great BBQ places "uptown" but we don't. The closest decent real NC type BBQ would be Lancaster's, imo.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLover128 View Post
I don't know why but people seem to think Charlotte is more like a northeastern city because of uptown but it still has southern charm and it's nothing like cities in the North and once you relax for a moment you will be reminded that you are in a city in the South. It bugs me when people say it has more in common with the North because of the skyscrapers and people from different states but it has a town feel like other cities in the South and there are even some natives with southern accents. It even has a hot, southern summer.
I haven't heard a soul say that Charlotte or NC is northern. I think that you are confusing MidAtlantic with Northern. This would be because somewhere along the line there was a change in the way geography is taught. MidAtlantic is not Northern & not Southern, It's both.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
lololol. you know, that is something I never heard of except here in Charlotte, until a few years ago. I have never tried them and don't consider it basic Southern cuisine, at all.

Now, pickles themselves . . . NC is the largest packager of pickles in the USA, I think. Pretty sure I am right on that (haven't check on that stat in a while).

You would think Charlotte would have some great BBQ places "uptown" but we don't. The closest decent real NC type BBQ would be Lancaster's, imo.
Plaza Midwood has a great BBQ spot...

I have no idea if fried pickles is "southern cuisine"... but it's distinct to the region and weird things like that add to the charm of a city in the south.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:06 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monksy View Post
Remind them that:
1. Theres little hope of urbanization
2. People will freak out over small instances of crime
3. Last call will still be incredibly early
4. Churches are big theres [very big and have quite a bit of influence] (despite the diversity claim)
5. Downtown has a limit to how big it will get [even being contained by 277 it doesn't even use all of the space]
6. Zero luck at getting public transport to solve the issue of drunk driving [marta doesn't even do a great job at that]
7. Very little luck at expanding the train lines
8. Don't expect there to be people doing non-work stuff on Sun-Tues nights. [Night life and or drinking related]
9. People still expect the rural life style
10. Taxies are as expensive as they are else where

Pluses:
1. Its not so cold in the winter?
1. Says who?
2. What?
3. 2am? It's a state law, like most other states/cities..
-> Last Call (booze) by State and City
4. It's the bible belt....that includes a lot of cities/states but why generalize on Charlotte which in fact is one of the more "liberal" mid-size metros in the south.
5. Uptown's space will eventually be absorbed one day..
6. What?
7. Nashville, Austin, Jacksonville, etc don't have light rail...Charlotte is well ahead of it's peers in this category.
8. What? This isn't Vegas or New Orleans...kind of normal activity, smilar to the rest of the country.
9. What?
10. Genious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte