Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:44 PM

206 posts, read 799,201 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Charlotte in a month and I am overwhelmed. I do not know how to even approach this move. What experiences and advice (good and bad) can people pass on to me to help me make this as painless as possible.

I would also like to try and ease the transition for our 2.5 yr old dd. Does anyone have any recommendations for the following things?

Dance class
Gymnastics
Speech Therapist
Art class

TIA!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 08:55 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCtoCLT View Post
We will be moving to Charlotte in a month and I am overwhelmed. I do not know how to even approach this move. What experiences and advice (good and bad) can people pass on to me to help me make this as painless as possible.

I would also like to try and ease the transition for our 2.5 yr old dd. Does anyone have any recommendations for the following things?

Dance class
Gymnastics
Speech Therapist
Art class

TIA!!!
I'm assuming you have temporary housing lined up? (renting, moving in w/in-laws/relatives, etc) Hopefully you do so mommy and daddy can get their bearings and scope out the area....

I can't help you in any of those categories, but I do know my daughter (who's around the same age) loves "storytime" at our local library. Check it out, its really good for the kids. And it's free to boot!

Old 11-06-2007, 09:28 PM

No housing lined up. We have a lump sum relo package so everything is up to us. When we came to visit a couple of months ago we stayed at the Ballantyne Resort. I am thinking that we could stay there for a couple of weeks if we had to.

What library has story time? We go now and my daughter loves it.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:47 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
The Library in Indian Trail (I believe on Tuesday mornings..). About 20min from Ballantyne approx (down 485)...my daughter loves it. I think its either 9 or 10am...? If you didn't want to travel, I'd look into libraries in that area and see what their schedules are or if they have anything similar....check them out, it'll give you something positive to do rather than sweating out the move!

Hmm, I know you said in another thread you were looking for a home and are very picky (who isn't? lol). All I can suggest is that you take your time. Don't settle! Scope out and get used to the area. Many people make the mistake of moving somewhere and jumping into something (ie purchasing a house) before they exhausted all options...

Your daughter is very young and will be ok when everything shakes out....again, look at all your options and take your time...

good luck.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:18 AM

755 posts, read 2,493,579 times
Pam Bashor at the Center for Speech Excellence was my son's speech therapist and she was wonderful.

The YMCA (and there's a big one in Ballantyne) has both dance and gymnastics classes for children. Noah's Art has art classes.

Are all of these classes for your two-year-old? That seems like a lot of activities for a toddler.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:22 AM

755 posts, read 2,493,579 times
Oh, and every library has storytime. There's a branch at Rea Road and HWY 51 - just down the street from Ballantyne.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:46 AM

531 posts, read 2,011,773 times
My daughter loves Miss Donna's School of Dancing in Indian Trail. The teachers there are excellent, the priced reasonable, and the kids have fun while learning. Also once you know what area you will be living in call the local school district for speech therapy recommendations. They were most helpful to us when we were looking for a speech therapist. The library storytime is also another excellent idea. My daughter really enjoys going to it. Best of luck in your move! =0)

Old 11-07-2007, 05:05 AM

999 posts, read 4,653,176 times
I can't help with all the classes, my daughters are older and we're in Indian Trail, too far to go when there must me many options in the Ballantyne area where you are looking to settle.

For the speech, check out the NC birth to 3 program North Carolina Early Intervention Services
It is MUCH easier to transition to preschool coming from a birth to 3 program (public school preschool-- if the speech issues are not resolved) than to come in directly to the schools at the preschool level looking for speech services.
This experience was not in NC but CT, however I imagine the paperwork/testing/red tape, etc is similar everywhere. Again, CT experience, but don't let them put you off because of her age, they may try to delay things so that she won't be their "problem" and age out of birth to 3 services, but, as I said get things started now, before she turns 3 and things should be easier later.

For the person who said that was a lot of classes for a 2 yr old, it may sound like a lot, but a lot of 2 yr olds go to all day daycare and have many of these activities during their day while there. The socialization is a good thing, even more so if there are speech issues.

Good luck.

Last edited by joanchris2000; 11-07-2007 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: addition to b-3 info

Old 11-07-2007, 05:55 AM

Thanks for the info. My daughter is in Early Intervention here but will probably not requalify. Her therapist would like her to get a few more months under her belt so that she doesn't backslide.

I know it sounds like a lot...if I told you our schedule you would probably die. We have always done a lot of activities and she seems to love them. I am hoping that starting her in new things right away will help her with the transition. There are a few kids that we hang out with everyday and leaving them is going to be hard on both of us.

Thanks again for the info, it gives me more to research. Somehow, a month to move across country does not seem like enough time.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:34 AM

8 posts, read 13,491 times
Default good resources

HI, we moved here (Indian Trail) about 3 months ago. My best advice would be to buy a good local map of Charlotte and whatever county you are picking. The main roads, i.e. RT 74 back up often during the peak driving hours and finding a secondary route has saved my sanity many times.

We are renting right now with the expectation of buying soon. I would suggest you rent also. The area is huge! And there are many areas that are very lovely. For us, it is full of possiblilities. But we need time to research each area fully- houses, schools,work, community.

We also made the move rather quickly (once we decided to come) and getting settled takes time. My 10 yr old was upset about the lack of friends to play with but has now made some and is much happier. (WE knew she would but it is heartbraking to leave behind family and friends). Our 4 yr old has made the move the best out of all of us. But even she had some adjustment trouble.

What areas are you looking into? Your child is still young but please don't make the mistake of buying without looking into the school system in that area. There is some great info on NC schools websites to help you decide.

A local paper is available here called "Charlotte Parent" It's free at every library and most supermarkets. It's full of advertisments from children services. The articles are well written and it is a great resource. Topics covered each month have included "Balancing Act- work-life-family"; Back to school topics; Teens Today, and more

Good luck with your move. Wishing you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte