Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:27 AM

40 posts, read 148,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Arrived in Charlotte on Sunday, Oct. 21st (drove in from the Denver, Colorado area/Parker). Stayed a week at an Extended Stay Hotel in south Charlotte off of the 485/77....I know the freeway system already! Took a few days and looked for an apartment north of Charlotte and found a beauty (new 2-bedroom) in Huntersville. Moved into it a few days after finding it. We love boating and have seen parts of Lake Norman. This lake is HUGE compared to the reservors that we use to boat on in the Denver area. Yesterday, we drove over to Lowe's Speedway. Yes, we also love NASCAR. This Speedway is huge and beautiful.
So far, we are 99% in love with North Carolina and the Huntersville area. Now, the 1% problem, TRAFFIC. A lot of people here drive absolutely CRAZY. Very little respect or patience here. I had to calm my wife down more than once while she was driving. Other than that, we are very (do mean VERY) glad to be away from the cold/snow of Denver/Parker area. The locals there say that their winters are "mild", we don't think so. We would tell all of them, "want to know what a mild winter is like, go to NC/Charlotte area".
For now, we are very glad we moved here.
I just wanted to say, "WELCOME TO CHARLOTTE"!!!!! Sounds like you are very happy with your move with the exception of the traffic. Wishing you the best!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 09:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happytobhere View Post
I just wanted to say, "WELCOME TO CHARLOTTE"!!!!! Sounds like you are very happy with your move with the exception of the traffic. Wishing you the best!!!
Finally a positive encouraging post for the guy/gal.
Im curious if the new apartments is with Colonial Properties the amenities with them seems like a sweet place to live especially the washer/dryer and cable package included deal.

Jackson Java has the best coffee in Rosedale btw.
Welcome to Huntersville.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:02 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
That cable package deal is a piece of work ....It's added to the price of the rent....you don't really save anything. This was forced on tenants when I worked for them and if you have a satellite dish you still have to pay for the cable. New properties are always desirable. Working for them was not.

It was also in the works to require renters insurance which would be included int he rent also even if you save money by getting your own insurance through your car insurance dealer. But to be fair there was talkabout waving that if you could prove you had renters insurance.

All of these things are added to your rent so it's not a free service.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 6,681 times
Am extremely glad you are happy here and believe you will come to love it and the surrounding area. Your compliments are welcome!
State government does seem to have a vendetta against Charlotte even though we are the economic driver for the whole state. The state feels the wealth should be spread evenly; however, they are doing it at the risk of leaving Charlotte short. Our roads are inadequate, freeway lights do not work, our beltway is too narrow and its completion date has been extended yet again. Visit the Triangle area (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) and you will see well-maintained highways and bypasses already completed around congested areas. Travel to the sparsely populated far eastern part of the state and you will see 8-lane freeways with very little traffic. Even UNC at Charlotte is short-changed even though it is the third largest university in the system. We do not have enough strong representation from our area in state government. If only we could separate the western part of the state from the rest of North Carolina!

Old 11-12-2007, 10:17 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
To be honest and fair about this scenario--it doesn't really matter where a person is from, if you get to many people trying to occupy one small space there are going to be problems. I know for a fact that CA has some horrible drivers and I'm sure many of the other states mentioned have some horrible drivers. But all of those states also have some very good, decent drivers. It's more the way we are trying to fit all to many people in a small space designed for a much smaller population. I could very well be wrong this is just my opinion.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:50 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
I find the debate over driving ability being related to where you come from to be very interesting. I did a little research and found some info that may shed some light on the subject. I compared the auto accident deaths of North Carolina to New Jersey for the year 2004. At this point, both states have nearly identical populations. In 2004, NJ had 731 traffic deaths and NC had 1557. Does that mean that NJ drivers are twice as careful as NC drivers? I think the quality and design of the roads are probably a big factor. NJ roads are managed at the state, county and city level.

One thing that puzzles me though - my car insurance in NJ was double that of what I pay in NC. I guess there more lawyers in NJ than NC by a big margin!

Old 11-12-2007, 10:57 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
That may have something to do with where most accidents happen that cause deaths...on the highway....Being NJ is much smaller than NC even though it has same population as you stated. We have many more highways just because of the size of the state and the need for them. Not really defending it one way or another just throwing out some possibilities.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:01 AM

222 posts, read 691,320 times
I come from upstate NY (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse area). I was told by my car insurance company that insurance costs more in Charlotte because there are more accidents here.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:06 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
That may have something to do with where most accidents happen that cause deaths...on the highway....Being NJ is much smaller than NC even though it has same population as you stated. We have many more highways just because of the size of the state and the need for them. Not really defending it one way or another just throwing out some possibilities.
BigJon - One thing that has stood out to me is the number of single car accidents where someone drives off the road. They seem to be a lot more frequent here than in NJ. Another factor is how the state deals with drunk driving. In NC, the penalties are much less than in NJ. Some of the arrests for drunk drivers in NC were by people that had been charged many times before - in NJ you would have been sitting in jail for a long time in equivalent circumstances.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:45 AM

755 posts, read 2,493,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
Garbage, no taxes!!! Stop spending money to fund TOY train systems that move very few people. I moved here from Portland, Oregon. I know what a waste of time that is. It moves very few people and is one big money pit!!! Get a clue partner!!! We already have one of the highest gas taxes in the country.
Absolutely true, and some of the highest property taxes in the Southeast. It's not that they don't take enough money from the taxpayers: it's that they spend the money on the wrong things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte