Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:03 PM

202 posts, read 347,333 times

Advertisements

With amount of money that has been printed I would hope that minimum wage would be $15/per hour. Wages haven't kept up cost of living for over $30 years. Maybe if minimum wage was $15 I could actually getpaidor hati am worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 09:11 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,464,792 times
LOL @ those people who go on strike to get $15/hour at fast food. Those are the same people who don't realize that if it actually happened, they'd be pitting themselves against additional likely more qualified/appealing candidates who'd lprobably take that job from them. Could you imagine getting let go at McDonalds for someone better and trying to figure out where you went at that point with your career!?

If you want $15/hour at fast food, go to the community college, get your Associates in Business Management (or any degree) and work towards being in management at the restaurant. Nothing wrong with that. At least that's what I'd do.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:31 AM

373 posts, read 778,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What many people don't realize is that some jobs are meant to be low paying jobs. Every job can't pay $15 an hour.

It would be better if fast food/retail jobs stay at minimum wage and those that want $15 an hour go on and pursue a different career. Management already expects a high turnover.
True.
There are, however, jobs that are "real jobs" that require intelligence and work ethic but for some reason the pay scale presses the wage down toward minimum wage.

Take warehousing for example.
If you have never done it, you may not realize how much is involved.
Shipping, receiving, customer pick-ups, picking, packing, scanning, stocking, boxing, driving various forklifts, etc.....
It's a real job that deserves a living wage, but $9-$11 an hour is about the norm, unless you have several years at the same company, where you might make $16 an hour at that point.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:50 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
True.
There are, however, jobs that are "real jobs" that require intelligence and work ethic but for some reason the pay scale presses the wage down toward minimum wage.

Take warehousing for example.
If you have never done it, you may not realize how much is involved.
Shipping, receiving, customer pick-ups, picking, packing, scanning, stocking, boxing, driving various forklifts, etc.....
It's a real job that deserves a living wage, but $9-$11 an hour is about the norm, unless you have several years at the same company, where you might make $16 an hour at that point.
I agree, I think all manufacturing jobs should make over $12 an hour, I also see this $15 an hour for fast food employees is a hard sell, but the minimum wage needs to raised though, especially when the cost of living keeps going up but our wages aren't keeping up with high cost of everything!

Old 08-29-2013, 06:03 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
are trying to organize a union, and are asking for $15 an hour. I haven't seen the actual segment yet, but my view is that until I can get a correct entree, side, and a drink, in the appropriate containers, without drink on the outside of the container, in a reasonable timeframe, preferably while treating me as a human being, many of the fast food workers I've run across should be fired, not given a raise. I cannot remember the last time that everything was as it should have been, experience included.

Even if it happened all the time, is that worth $15 an hour?
Many years ago, a dishwasher that worked for the company I did asked for a pay rise, was then asked if he was given a pay rise would all the other items he was supposed to be doing get taken care off.

He replied if he was given a pay rise that he would indeed, take care of everything he was supposed to.

He was fired on the spot.

Too many fast food places have employees that are just not willing to work, my honest opinion at least 1/2 of the employees in fast food, get paid accordingly.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:12 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,164,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
I agree, I think all manufacturing jobs should make over $12 an hour, I also see this $15 an hour for fast food employees is a hard sell, but the minimum wage needs to raised though, especially when the cost of living keeps going up but our wages aren't keeping up with high cost of everything!
it is a vicious circle, the more we increase minimum wage, the more expense we add to the cost of living (of the very same people).
Extra money in their pockets are not coming from thin air, cost of product manufactured (or service) will increase and guess what - workers will end up loosing their jobs, since some other worker on a different continent will do it for less.

Only way to move ahead is for workers to do their very best at every job and hope to be noticed and promoted and/or learn new skills that pay better.
I can tell you that I think seriously to offer a job to a very helpful person that I'm sure works for minimum wage at present. And I'm a customer.

When someone goes beyond their expected duty on daily basis, it is a matter of time before he/she will be noticed and advancement is around the corner. The opposite is also true. Call it karma if you wish, it always works.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:34 AM

198 posts, read 291,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Stupid is as stupid does. Anyone who does a crappy job just because they feel they don't get paid enough doesn't deserve to get paid more in the hopes that their service will improve.
I agree with this.. keep up the hard work and the attitude - money shud follow !

Old 08-29-2013, 08:03 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,351 times
Someone pointed out previously that if minumium wage was set to rise with the cost of inflation, then it would currently be about $28 an hour. I'm not saying it should be, but I think that there would be two extremely positive changes of minimum wage was bumped up to $12-$15 an hour. One would be that more money in the pockets of the employees means more money that would be spent at the businesses that they work at, and others as well. The second would be that people being able to survive (not comfrotably, but still able to) on a mimum wage would mean less people earning welfare, and more incentive for people to work, instead of not work and still make roughly close to what the current minimum wage is, with all the welcfare benefits.

We are quick to run and protect the companies making record profits who ***** and moan about how any increased costs will go directly to the customer, instead of touching their obscene profits.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:25 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
Someone pointed out previously that if minumium wage was set to rise with the cost of inflation, then it would currently be about $28 an hour. I'm not saying it should be, but I think that there would be two extremely positive changes of minimum wage was bumped up to $12-$15 an hour. One would be that more money in the pockets of the employees means more money that would be spent at the businesses that they work at, and others as well. The second would be that people being able to survive (not comfrotably, but still able to) on a mimum wage would mean less people earning welfare, and more incentive for people to work, instead of not work and still make roughly close to what the current minimum wage is, with all the welcfare benefits.

We are quick to run and protect the companies making record profits who ***** and moan about how any increased costs will go directly to the customer, instead of touching their obscene profits.
So true.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post

A form of this has been tried, by unionizing. That drove much of our manufacturing overseas. Look at all the outsourcing we do, because of much lower labor costs. Raising the minimum wage by 40%+ will only make that much worse. Companies are not simply going to eat that additional cost, regardless of the profit they're making.

I was told by a client who was a CFO for a major grocery store chain that they net about 3%. That would be completely consumed by a labor spike as you're suggesting.

I wonder where that $28 an hour figure came from. Seems high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte