Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 10:31 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I'm only responding to the disinformation you posted above. The "dis"-information states that metro Charlotte will grow by 47% from 2010 to 2040. That's less than 16% per decade. Over the last 60 years, I can't find a single decade where metro Charlotte grew at less than 20% within a census period. From 1950-1996 Charlotte was the fastest growing metro area in North Carolina. Back in 1950, the Triad and the Triangle were actually more populated than metro Charlotte.

Metro Charlotte
197,052 population 1950
1,321,068 population 1996
570.4% growth rate

Triad
337,192 population 1950
1,141,238 population 1996
238.5% growth rate

Triangle
238,089 population 1950
1,025,253 population 1996
330.6% growth rate
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

^^^History would suggest that your "dis"-information is off by a large margin, but let's assume that your info is correct. A 47% increase for metro Charlotte (2.3 million) would put Charlotte just under 3.4 million by 2040. Now, I'm not the best at math, but I'm certain that 3.4 million is a larger number than 3.2 million.

IMO, metro Charlotte will realistically grow by 60% between now and 2040. That's almost 3.7 million by 2040. However, metro Hickory will most likely get "sucked in" by then, so make that 4 million even.
Oh my God, you'd better alert the Census demographers and NCDOT who probably spent years analyzing data to come up with long range transportation plans and allocation of billions of dollars.

Never mind that Rocky Mount and Wilson's counties touch Wake but aren't included in Raleigh's CSA (a subjective classification anyway) or Fayetteville which is about 60 miles away and is in the same tv and radio market.

We know, Charlotte is now a major BIG city, those tall buildings catapulted the area into greatness overnight.

Who knew a city's resident's happiness could be so dependent on how others perceived the size of their hamlet.

I'm outta here. Time to go out and enjoy the big city life of Atlanta. Extremely hot people, extremely cool gyms, extremely athletic lifestyles and extreme wild times. Woo Hoo!

Last edited by Yac; 03-11-2014 at 08:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 10:57 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Oh my God, you'd better alert the Census demographers and NCDOT who probably spent years analyzing data to come up with long range transportation plans and allocation of billions of dollars.

Never mind that Rocky Mount and Wilson's counties touch Wake but aren't included in Raleigh's CSA (a subjective classification anyway) or Fayetteville which is about 60 miles away and is in the same tv and radio market.

We know, Charlotte is now a major BIG city, those tall buildings catapulted the area into greatness overnight.

Who knew a city's resident's happiness could be so dependent on how others perceived the size of their hamlet.

I'm outta here. Time to go out and enjoy the big city life of Atlanta. Extremely hot people, extremely cool gyms, extremely athletic lifestyles and extreme wild times. Woo Hoo!
This thread has nothing to do with Raleigh, Atlanta, or any other city. It has to do with Charlotte-Mecklenburg. I simply responded to the extremely biased data you shared on this thread.

The data you shared stated that metro Charlotte will grow by 47% between now and 2040. A 47% increase from 2.3 million is just under 3.4 million. It's simple math. However, it says a lot when a publication from NC's corrupt DOT is way off within the first 2 years of their 30-year projections. Obviously, that publication is now garbage. Any facts and/or figures that they gathered "back then" must be adjusted to account for Charlotte suburbs that they did not count 2 years ago. When the new more updated publication comes out, feel free to share it with us umkay?

Old 10-04-2013, 12:27 PM

601 posts, read 964,506 times
Quote:
You know, nobody in this topic has even said nor even implied this. You're making a straw man out of nothing. This topic was about how big Mecklenburg County is, and if/when it will be surpassed in population some day. Also, judging people how they look and dress at the airport, and somehow assuming this hand-full of people represent Charlotte as a whole, is an anecdote, and a shallow viewpoint on an entire population of people.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:56 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times
Quote:
Of course. Those few additional tall buildings made Atlanta into NYC-South overnight.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakzero View Post
The 800K number is extremely MISLEADING due to the sprawl like city boundaries that include mostly suburbs. That would be a similiar population to San Fransico or Seattle. Charlotte has a long way to go to
Or you're just jealous, Suburban=Population
----
Also-
As for here in Fayetteville, traffic is crazy, now with a city that is 5 times more popular, well, lets just say, good luck charlie!

Old 09-17-2014, 11:05 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,984 times
Forgot about this thread lol. Well anyways I was browsing around on some other sites and one of the questions that kept coming was the Hickory area gonna be added to the Charlotte region by next census. To my surprise a lot of peoe said yes because a lot of locals were making the drive to Charlotte and the surrounding area. Just wanted to ask you guys what was your take on this? I think that might put us just at 3 mil or a high 2.9 mil.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:17 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times
^ it will happen eventually. I wonder what will happen to the Hickory metropolitan area once it does.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:18 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
I don't see this happening. While the Hickory area is in the viewing area I just don't see Catawba and Alexander counties sending enough commuters to qualify for the CSA definition let alone MSA.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:02 PM

272 posts, read 380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakzero View Post
The 800K number is extremely MISLEADING due to the sprawl like city boundaries that include mostly suburbs. That would be a similiar population to San Fransico or Seattle. Charlotte has a long way to go to
Kinda like the whole Charlotte vs Raleigh "rivalry".
They are quick to point out that Wake County has more land than Mecklenburg. ...they say Wake County "cheats". But they are so slow to mention how Charlotte cheats when it comes to Raleigh. Charlotte is a little under 300 square miles!! Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill, and a few other triangle suburbs COMBINED adds up to around 300 square miles!! And guess what!!!?? If you add the population of all of those cities/towns...give Raleigh 300 square miles, the population would be the same if not MORE than Charlotte's...it will yield 800,000 population give or take!! But they aren't quick to point out how Charlotte "cheats". Beautiful skyline however.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:56 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahlee boy View Post
Kinda like the whole Charlotte vs Raleigh "rivalry".
They are quick to point out that Wake County has more land than Mecklenburg. ...they say Wake County "cheats". But they are so slow to mention how Charlotte cheats when it comes to Raleigh. Charlotte is a little under 300 square miles!! Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill, and a few other triangle suburbs COMBINED adds up to around 300 square miles!! And guess what!!!?? If you add the population of all of those cities/towns...give Raleigh 300 square miles, the population would be the same if not MORE than Charlotte's...it will yield 800,000 population give or take!! But they aren't quick to point out how Charlotte "cheats". Beautiful skyline however.
Big difference being the the combined populations of those 4 cities are not concentrated in one central area. As in the 50 square mile radius of Raleigh population does not even compare to that of a 50 mile radius of Charlotte. You're adding the population of 4 cities, with Durham and Chapel Hill being separated from Raleigh/Cary by quite some distance. Their city limits are not contiguous with each other nor is the population centered around Raleigh. They're not even in the same county. You're picking and choosing certain urbanized segments while leaving out rural less populated areas between the cities for your angle.
While Charlotte's is all concentrated within Mecklenburg.

That's like someone trying to exclude the less populated part of Charlotte around the airport from the numbers claim Concord and Gastonia are a part of Charlotte instead. A pointless metric for an even more pointless argument.

Also if you want to be technical about it, the Charlotte MSA is larger than the combined Raleigh/Durham MSAs and the Charlotte CSA is larger than the Raleigh/Durham/Cary CSA. So no matter how you spin it Raleigh is second.

Charlotte is larger than Raleigh (and has a beautiful skyline), just get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte